PC freezing .No move at all No ctrl+alt+del

1 view

g. koulis

Jun 27, 2005, 12:54:40 PM6/27/05
Suddenly my pc freezes .Cntr+alt+del does not work either.
I put it off from the power key.Restart .Blue screen with the yellow line
forwarding stops at 15
usually. It runs after 2-3 hours out of work

I am using intel pentium III 800 MHZ 100-8.0
Win 98se.IE 6.00

I had opened the tower , the fan is working ,
I have cleaned with air spray .It worked ok but after a week does not.
Now it is working but i am afraid it is doing to stop suddenly.

Any help??

Jure Sah

Jun 27, 2005, 1:20:37 PM6/27/05

Check computer for any unwanted programs (tojans, viruses etc). Also
check scheduler to see what may be starting at 15.

Also is the computer AT or ATX and does it have power managment enabled?

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian:
http://www.wikitherian.org

Powered by Deamons(TM).

...to live your life fast
and powerfull; and then
live your life just to keep
the Deamons at bay.

PCR

Jun 27, 2005, 7:53:22 PM6/27/05
May as well test RAM...
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp RAM tester
http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM tester

.......Quote.......
You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
the computer.

If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

Download and Use Instructions:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
Download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"g. koulis" <g69...@otenet.gr> wrote in message

PCR

Jun 27, 2005, 7:51:28 PM6/27/05
While it is working, make a full system backup...

Once you have a functioning system, especially one close to a clean
install, do a full system backup. If you have multiple partitions, I
guess a backup is a bit more complex. It depends upon the ties between
the Registry & the other partitions, as to whether they must be backed
up concurrently. Also, if you've changed the hardware since the backup,
you may need to change it back before a restore.

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html Backup & partitioning strategy
http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/home.html Extended Operating System Loader
http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
http://www.arjsoftware.com ARJ Archiver
http://www.betterbackup.com/ Retrospect CD Backup
http://www.bootitng.com/ 's BootIt NG, has a variety of backup
capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely
downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you
dare. Free, run from floppy, but pay up as I did if satisfied. To
install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.
http://www.cdrfaq.org/ CD R/W Backup
http://www.cyberiapc.com/backup.htm MyOwnBackup (MOB) (Free)
http://www.han-soft.com/habt.php Auto Backup (30-day free trial)
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swdl.pl?c=co105&i=co105en&p=hpcdwriter2
Simple Backup
http://www.karenware.com/ PtReplicator (Free)
http://www.lifesaverbackup.com/
http://www.mvps.org/links.html Should have good info
http://www.pcmag.com/ Lots & lots of sturdy downloads. There is a $20
yearly charge now.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic Partition Magic
http://www.ranish.com/part/ Ranish Partition Manager
http://www.rescue-me.net/gold.html
http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/58307.shtml Backups
http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump_details.phtml?stp Backup MyPC
http://www.thirdstar.net/thirdstar_datarecovery.htm Data recovery
http://www.tomsterdam.com/ BU process, performance, etc.
http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html Partition Commander
http://www.veritas.com Backup apps
http://www.xxcopy.com/ Detailed Procedure Copy (Free)
http://www.zeleps.com/ Partition re-sizer (Free)

All gathered at this site. Whichever you choose, approach it carefully
and verify all is well. After making a copy, run Scandisk/Defrag on it.
If it's an Image, use it's verify option; perhaps, restore it and do a
Scandisk/Defrag.

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/three-- & one (by Glee) that was so-so (or worse). SO, BETTER
make a full system backup, before wiping Windows.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcr...@netzero.net

Lil' Dave

Jun 28, 2005, 9:38:26 AM6/28/05
Suggest this is due to heat, and a degraded power supply. Each aid each
other in causing problems. The power supply's fan cools the rest of the PC
if all you see is the cpu fan. No fan(s) in the tower chassis case.

g. koulis

Jun 28, 2005, 7:18:38 PM6/28/05
I feel you are right Lil.Shall be something with the power supply ,But i
don't know what and how to fix it.
At this time it is working .I am watching the fan and it is turning ok. I
have pulled out the cover and watch it working.
I thouht that a second fan is into the cpu box but i can not see.
Anyway i am waiting for the next freezing to see what happens

Thanks a lot for your help.If you have any more idea please email
g. koulis

Ο "Lil' Dave" <spamyo...@virus.net> έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Hugh Candlin

Jun 28, 2005, 9:15:52 PM6/28/05

> I feel you are right Lil.Shall be something with the power supply ,But i
> don't know what and how to fix it.
> At this time it is working .I am watching the fan and it is turning ok. I
> have pulled out the cover and watch it working.
> I thouht that a second fan is into the cpu box but i can not see.
> Anyway i am waiting for the next freezing to see what happens
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.If you have any more idea please email

Two possibilities come to mind.

One. Your motherboard may have bad capacitors.
This was a serious industry problem a number of years ago.

Two. If you have added a number of hardware upgrades
to your PC, you may have exceeded the capacity
of the power supply unit to handle all those peripherals.

Lil' Dave

Jun 30, 2005, 8:29:05 AM6/30/05
"Hugh Candlin" <N...@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

In reference to "Two", some PC makers put marginal power supplies in their
systems. Like you said, just adding hardware can show these effects. But,
if the power supply degrades, it will very slowly shows signs that the OP
describes. PC building anecdote: Don't skimp on the power supply.
Especially if you intend to use it for many years.