95,98 or xp?

Denise

Nov 10, 2002, 11:19:55 AM11/10/02
We own one copy of Windows 95 and 2 98s. I am currently
taking on-line classes at U of Phoenix and also use the
computer for research, shopping, photography, newsletter
and burning, not many games. The computer continually
crashes and disrupts my classwork which puts me in a bind
to complete assignments on time. Uof P is not very
forgiving in that area. My laptop with 98 does the same
and my computer at work. I have a tendency to think that
this is an operating system problem not a user or computer
problem. I have had my home PC upgraded this summer and
they suggested upgrading the OS because of lack of support
for 98 but otherwise the computer should be good for a
couple of years. My son suggests a new computer or at
least hard drive. My husband wants to switch to MAC, but
we have hundreds of $ in software that I don't want to
replace.
Any advice?

jazz

Nov 10, 2002, 12:05:56 PM11/10/02
here is some advice,,,,,,,,,get a new tech.
I run win98 with no problem. I have had this setup for about3 years and no
crashes. windows xp is a little more stable than 98 and may actually be
better for you but here's a catch.........
every computer (even a Mac) is like a car. they will run fine as long as you
take care of them..... you need to do a scandisk, defrag, clear temp files,
temp internet files. check your startup and see what is running when the
computer comes on. it may be that you have too many item starting up. this
isn't all that bad but could cause the resources to fill up too soon and you
wouldn't be aware you could close some stuff down. a popular cause for
crashes and lockups are bad hardware or drive driver support for the
hardware. a common cause for slow downs is spyware running. get adaware or
something like spybot search and destroy.

the bottom line is no matter what operating system you plan to use you will
have to learn to take care of it. now the question is "if you switched to a
new computer and operating system would you take the time to learn how to
take care of it" if not save your money now. it will only be a matter of
time until your are in the same situation your in today.....with the
exception or a lighter wallet

"Denise" <dddv...@msn.com> wrote in message
> We own one copyn of Windows 95 and 2 98s. I am currently

Jon_Hildrum

Nov 10, 2002, 12:23:40 PM11/10/02
I tend to agree with what Jazz already provided.

The problems of continuous crashes are often related to some of the
following:
Drivers and hardware
Software installed - there are quite a few applications one may download (or
actually purchase) which does not behave well with a particular operating
system.
In sufficient disk space

I was running win95 for several years and had few problems. I was also
running win98 until win98SE became available and I'm still running win98SE.
I also have a machine running winXP.

My suggestion would be to clean up any problems first. Then make sure you
have the product update available from Microsoft. You may need to reboot
Win95/98 now and then (not often and for people who turn their computer off
when not in use this is not an issue).

If you specific problems please post the specific problems and maybe someone
here can help. Any error messages would be helpful

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP

Bill Starbuck

Nov 10, 2002, 12:24:08 PM11/10/02
>Any advice?

Windows 98 SE is very stable and reliable. I have had more serious
problems with Windows XP than with Windows 98. I conjecture that this
is because some applications aren't yet fully adapted to Windows XP I
do not think these hangs (etc.) are due to Windows XP per se..

Anyway, the key issue is that you are having problems with an
operating system that normally works well. I speculate that this is
because you have installed applications that are programmed
incorrectly or applications that are mutually incompatible. If you
want reliability above all, then you need to keep your system very
simple. Do not install anything that you do not absolutely need. Do
not install a new application until you are absolutely sure that all
of your current applications work correctly. The run a program such as
ConfigSafe before you install the new application; ConfigSafe enables
you to revert completely to the situation that existed before you
added the new application.

I suspect that if you upgrade to Windows XP and then install all of
the programs you have installed now, you will have pretty much the
same problems you have now . . . because I doubt that the problems are
actually caused by Windows.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)

Satellite Man

Nov 10, 2002, 4:17:45 PM11/10/02
Denise,
Enough said but I will wholeheartedly agree with the rest. If you have
problems keeping 98 running then XP will blow you away. Save your money.
Don't download shareware from the net. Screensavers, greeting cards nice
cuddly stuff...it's all a scam! And nothing but muck for your puter'! Sorry,
but you don't get something for nothing. 95% of the internet downloads
available that you would be interested in are laced with spyware, Trojans,
or some other resource sacrificing garbage!!! You want something, buy it ;
and then make sure you research it first! Like Mac's! You got all this
software...well XP won't run it; at least without towing a line. And the
Mac...talk about changing horses in the middle of the stream! Spend your
time and save your money and learn to extract the performance from what you
have. Many large companies still run 95. The reason is that it works for
their application and they can't justify spending the money to upgrade. You
want to buy something that just works or does what it says it does. Buy a
radio. You want a puter' to work for you...join the rest of us and hang out
here. GL and I hope you don't give up!

HAGD,
DTV

Don Phillipson

Nov 10, 2002, 4:40:39 PM11/10/02
"Denise" <dddv...@msn.com> wrote in message

> We own one copy of Windows 95 and 2 98s. I am currently

> taking on-line classes at U of Phoenix and also use the
> computer for research, shopping, photography, newsletter
> and burning, not many games. The computer continually
> crashes and disrupts my classwork which puts me in a bind
> to complete assignments on time. Uof P is not very
> forgiving in that area. My laptop with 98 does the same
> and my computer at work. I have a tendency to think that
> this is an operating system problem not a user or computer

Sundry good posts suggest this is an OS
problem (common to both installations,
therefore not hardware.)

Fastest remedy is probably (for both)
1. Delete all TMP files and Internet History,
ScanDisk (standard) then Defrag (and possibly
ScanDisk again (thorough.)) Then
2. Instal Win98 if needed (more stable than Win95).
3. Instal and use a good maintenance utility.
I like Fix-It Utilities which has an excellent registry
analysis and repair module; it will detect conflicts
and loose ends (therefore needs to be run several
times, because solving one problem can create
another.)

jazz

Nov 10, 2002, 6:26:45 PM11/10/02
good chioce on the fix it utilities...