MNS and win95 networking arrangment

Precious1026

Jul 8, 2007, 11:18:01 PM7/8/07
In reading my Windows 95 Introduction Manual under Networking, I recall
reading a passage on page 58 that inorder to connect to the Internet you must
have signed up for Microsoft Network, or Netware. If this is the case then
how can i have a lAN or WAN connection. All I want to do is use my laptop
when I am in another room, have files from my PC downloaded or shared or
viewed by the Laptop and use my PC (Win XP) internet connect with the Laptop
(Win95). What is best wired or wireless?
--
Bg@102659

Jeff Richards

Jul 12, 2007, 5:21:44 AM7/12/07
You might be thinking of a requirement to install the client for Microsoft
Networks, and references to the NetBIOS protocol. The client is a module
provided with the operating system and does not involve signing up for
anything. NetBIOS is one of several available networking protocols,
depending on what you are trying to do.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Precious1026" <Precio...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Jul 14, 2007, 3:10:22 PM7/14/07
In article <BAA1095D-4258-4A15...@microsoft.com>,

The manual is wrong. You don't have to sign up for Microsoft Network
or Netware. You can install the TCP/IP protocol and connect to the
Internet over a LAN connection.
--
Best Wishes,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

norm

Jul 15, 2007, 3:16:35 PM7/15/07
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:10:22 -0600, "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
<bc07...@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <BAA1095D-4258-4A15...@microsoft.com>,
>Precious1026 <Precio...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>In reading my Windows 95 Introduction Manual under Networking, I recall
>>reading a passage on page 58 that inorder to connect to the Internet you must
>>have signed up for Microsoft Network, or Netware. If this is the case then
>>how can i have a lAN or WAN connection. All I want to do is use my laptop
>>when I am in another room, have files from my PC downloaded or shared or
>>viewed by the Laptop and use my PC (Win XP) internet connect with the Laptop
>>(Win95). What is best wired or wireless?
>
>The manual is wrong. You don't have to sign up for Microsoft Network
>or Netware. You can install the TCP/IP protocol and connect to the
>Internet over a LAN connection.
>--
>Best Wishes,
>Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

I can confirm this, have W95 ethernetted to a wireless router, XP on
wireless. No sign onto MS stuff needed.

Precious1026

Jul 18, 2007, 12:26:04 AM7/18/07
Thanks, Steve,
for the time, information and suggestions you have made regarding my
networking issues. As you may or may not know by the wording of my question,
I am a novice, so don't laugh when I ask you this. The TCP/IP protocol is a
router? In my quest for answers I came upon various routers, most having the
capability of TCP/IP, so I hope this is what is meant by this kind of
protocol, or how it is installed?

Precious1026

Jul 18, 2007, 12:30:00 AM7/18/07

Thanks, Norm: I thought it was wrong, but without anywhere to go, you just
don't know. I like your suggestions, but what about the wired vs. wireless.
You know my Win.95 has some wireless networking cards, or software. I was
shocked when I reviewed the programs in the control panel. It looks
complicated. Wins XP looks simply. Again, thanks for the time. I
appreciate the response. Do you remember Wins 95 networking at all? I am
still here.

Jeff Richards

Jul 18, 2007, 6:03:19 AM7/18/07
A router is a device that permits several physical connections into a single
point on the network. TCP/IP is a protocol - a convention for how signals
sent across a network will be formed, so that two machines can communicate
sensibly. It includes standards for addressing messages so that they get
routed to the correct place, hence the relationship between the router and
the protocol. But they are completely different things.

--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Precious1026" <Precio...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Jul 19, 2007, 10:22:28 PM7/19/07
In article <B651FB71-D493-4BCD...@microsoft.com>,
Precious1026 <Precio...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> In article <BAA1095D-4258-4A15...@microsoft.com>,
>> Precious1026 <Precio...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >In reading my Windows 95 Introduction Manual under Networking, I recall
>> >reading a passage on page 58 that inorder to connect to the Internet you must
>> >have signed up for Microsoft Network, or Netware. If this is the case then
>> >how can i have a lAN or WAN connection. All I want to do is use my laptop
>> >when I am in another room, have files from my PC downloaded or shared or
>> >viewed by the Laptop and use my PC (Win XP) internet connect with the Laptop
>> >(Win95). What is best wired or wireless?
>>
>> The manual is wrong. You don't have to sign up for Microsoft Network
>> or Netware. You can install the TCP/IP protocol and connect to the
>> Internet over a LAN connection.

>Thanks, Steve,
>for the time, information and suggestions you have made regarding my
>networking issues. As you may or may not know by the wording of my question,
>I am a novice, so don't laugh when I ask you this. The TCP/IP protocol is a
>router? In my quest for answers I came upon various routers, most having the
>capability of TCP/IP, so I hope this is what is meant by this kind of
>protocol, or how it is installed?

A router is a piece of networking hardware that communicates with a
high-speed Internet connection (DSL or cable modem) and with one or
more computers. The router and the computers use the TCP/IP protocol
as their common "language".

To install the TCP/IP protocol on Windows 95:

1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network.
2. Click Add > Protocol > Add
3. In the list of manufacturers, click Microsoft.
4. In the list of Network Protocols, click TCP/IP.
5. Click OK.