5.25" floppy disk drive problems in Win98

Marcus Barnes

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
I work in a small fabrication shop, and all file transfers to our
machines require sneakernet and 5.25" floppies. I recently upgraded an old
Pentium 133 DOS 6.2/Win3.1 machine to an IDT WinChip 233. After that, I
formatted the hard drive and did a clean install of Win98. Now, whenever I
try to access the older 5.25" disks that we used every day in Win3.1,
there's a 50% chance that win98 will have trouble reading the disk and we
lose full directories of data and sometimes even whole disks.
So far, I have removed the protected mode floppy drivers and gone back
to DOS mode drivers, and used a floppy drive cleaning kit on the drive. The
only other info I think might be pertinent is that the 5.25" drive is before
the twist in the floppy cable, and the 3.5" drive is after, and I have the
BIOS setup to swap the drives so that the 3.5" drive is A: and 5.25" is B:.
Any help will be appreciated.
Marcus

Alexander Fong

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00

Uncheck write-behind caching (well, check disable, that is) and
write-behind caching for removables.

Alexander Fong ap_fong (at) alcor.concordia.ca
God's last name is not "dammit."

Old Guy

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
I think the ribbon connection is correct if you want the 3.5 to be "a" (its
been a long time). The first thing I would do is to disable the floppy swap
setting in the bios and test. That setting has been known to cause problems.
If that is still not right then I would swap positions on the cable. I
vaguely remember something about "drive 0" and "drive 1" settings on floppy
drives which were sometimes set with jumpers. You might want to refer to
"building and maintaining" PC's type guidebook or equivalent web site.