Delete dirs with spaces at the end

Frank Howell

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
Hello,

How can I delete dirs with spaces at the end like a dir named "Frank ".
When I try to delete it with explorer it says: Cannot delete file: File
system error (1026).

Regards,

Frank Howell

Tim Slattery

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
"Frank Howell" <Frank....@hetnet.nl> wrote:

Try it from the DOS command line, surrounding the name and trailing
spaces with quotes, just as you did in your post.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Ron Martell

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
"Frank Howell" <Frank....@hetnet.nl> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>How can I delete dirs with spaces at the end like a dir named "Frank ".
>When I try to delete it with explorer it says: Cannot delete file: File
>system error (1026).
>
>Regards,
>
>Frank Howell

Open a DOS window and enter (for example)

DELTREE C:\MYFILES\FRAN*.*

You should probably test the command by entering

DIR C:\MYFILES\FRAN*.* /S

Generally everything you see listed by the DIR command will be deleted
when you use DELTREE. It will ask you to confirm the deletes.

Good luck.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

"Software is a gas. It expands to fill whatever container it is placed in."

James Polyard

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
Can you rename the directory to something valid?
James

Frank Howell

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
I've tried this, but it didn't work...

Tim Slattery wrote in message ...

>"Frank Howell" <Frank....@hetnet.nl> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>How can I delete dirs with spaces at the end like a dir named "Frank ".
>>When I try to delete it with explorer it says: Cannot delete file: File
>>system error (1026).
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Frank Howell

Frank Howell

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Nope, I can't rename it, when I do, I get the same error....

James Polyard wrote in message <37F28874...@wabasha.net>...

>Can you rename the directory to something valid?
>James

Tom Porterfield

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Follow Ron's advice, it should work. In case you missed for some reason, he
said:

"Open a DOS window and enter (for example)

DELTREE C:\MYFILES\FRAN*.*

You should probably test the command by entering

DIR C:\MYFILES\FRAN*.* /S

Generally everything you see listed by the DIR command will be deleted
when you use DELTREE. It will ask you to confirm the deletes.

Good luck."

--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP