Copying disk with Ontrack Disk Manager installed

jo...@coedana.u-net.com

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
My present C: drive uses Ontrack Disk Manager to overcome the BIOS
limits of a previous PC. Since then I have upgraded the BIOS (now has
LBA support) but to avoid the hassle of removing Ontrack, I've
disabled it in the BIOS.

Now I want to install a new HD and use EZ's disk copy facility to copy
over the entire contents of the old drive to the new one, with the
intention that the new drive will become the C: drive and use the LBA
support from the BIOS.

Will EZ copy the Ontrack overlay over to the new drive as well? What
happens if it does?

Regards

--
John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)

David Henniker

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Not long ago, on Sat, 09 Oct 1999 20:40:29 GMT, jo...@coedana.u-net.com
shared these inspired thoughts with us all:

>My present C: drive uses Ontrack Disk Manager to overcome the BIOS
>limits of a previous PC. Since then I have upgraded the BIOS (now has
>LBA support) but to avoid the hassle of removing Ontrack, I've
>disabled it in the BIOS.

Disabled LBA mode for one drive only - or for all drives?

>Now I want to install a new HD and use EZ's disk copy facility to copy
>over the entire contents of the old drive to the new one,

Hang on a minute, EZ Drive is an entirely different product to Ontrack
Disk Manager - although it does the same job... I'm not familiar with
its disk copy facility.

> with the
>intention that the new drive will become the C: drive and use the LBA
>support from the BIOS.
>
>Will EZ copy the Ontrack overlay over to the new drive as well? What
>happens if it does?

If it's like OnTrack's filecopy program then I don't think so. It
requires that the destination drive is formatted. Any of these BIOS
overlays should be removed with the same floppy (IE same version of
software) that put them there in the first place.

Fdisk /mbr won't necessarily remove them as they may occupy several
sectors AFAIK.

Dave.
--
100% Original digital & silver-based photos
Unique 3D rendered images + Herb animation