NEED DESPERATE HELP IN HD PROBLEM!

Kevin Cheng

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
Dear People

I had an old 850MB Hard drive where I kept alot of archive files, such as
family files, "zipped up" and "executable installation" programs downloaded
from the web, quicktime movies/videos, tons of MIDIs, WAVs, etc. Tons of
stuff.

One night when we had a lan party at my house, my PC was still on but with a
blank screen saver. One of my friends wanted to watch SKY and pulled out my
PC's power plug straight from the socket without properly turning off my PC.
Is this a similar effect to power surges which can cause damage to PCs?
Anyway, the next morning, I switched on my PC and left it to start up. I
came back 10 minutes later and found my PC was busy thoroughly scanning my
HD (using scandisk). It had discovered tons of PHYSICAL BAD CLUSTERS all
over the place!!!!

To rescue my work, I quickly bought a new 10GB IBM hard drive. I installed
my new HD and quickly copied my whole archive into my new HD. (I still got
the old HD).

Recently when I tried running Quake3Arena Test installation program, it
stops halfway through saying there's BAD CRCs. This program used to work
perfectly fine. I then went on a search for more corrupted installation
programs and files. I found that opening and viewing a ZIP file does not
tell whether it is corrupted or not. You have to uncompress the whole
contents of a compressed file to see if it's corrupted. But I've got tons
of zips and installation exes. It would take me years to rectify my whole
HD. I know myself that my zip/exe installation programs used to work
perfectly fine.

Is there any faster better way to find corrupted files? Do you know a
program which can go through the corrupted HD and tell me which files are
affected. Scandisk does not do this.

lor...@my-deja.com

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
In article <7srhjc$qcn$1...@apple.news.easynet.net>,
"Kevin Cheng" <kevi...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear People

> I found that opening and viewing a ZIP file does
not
> tell whether it is corrupted or not. You have to uncompress the whole
> contents of a compressed file to see if it's corrupted. But I've got
tons
> of zips and installation exes. It would take me years to rectify my
whole
> HD.
The command line versions of zip/unzip offer the possibility to check
the archive's integrity.

suggest
Lothar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/