FDISK Problem

Francois Gauvin

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99

I have installed WinNT on my system and everything went well. I have 2 NTFS
partitions.

I have decided to remove WinNT and install Win98.

I booted with a system disk and started fdisk. I had 2 partitions: one
primary dos and one extended. I want to remove the extended one, but
fdisk won't let me do it. It's telling that it cannot delete the extended
partition because these are logical drives in it. Fine, I said.

So, I tried to delete the logical drives in the extended partition. Now,
it's telling me that there is no logical drives in the extended partition!!
It's like a deadlock.

Now, I have Win98 on my primary partition but I can't have access
to the space allocated in the extented partition.

How can I remove this extended partition?

Thanks in advance.

Doug Owen

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
Well Francois, there is not much to do besides jump up and down, cry,
have a hissy fit or boot off a linux cd and use disk druid to delete
the partition (that is what I had to do after a number of failed
tries). This works but it is a pain because once you do it from disk
druid in linux you have to reboot and get back into dos. Now once you
have killed everything with disk druid give the main dir (root
designated as "\" the full disk space), boot into dos and run fdisk
again and wala! An unformated drive with one partition that you can
delete and then start anew!

Hope this helped!

Doug

John Wagenvoort

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
Using FDISK have you tried removing Non Dos Partitions?

If you use Display Partition Info you'll see the NTFS partiotions listed as
Non Dos.

Francois Gauvin <fga...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Francois Gauvin

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
I tried that too. But it shows as EXT DOS. So, deleting Non Dos partition
doesn't work.

Francois

John Wagenvoort <ccab...@cabsol.com.au> a écrit dans le message :
7qb4pa$r88$1...@m2.c2.telstra-mm.net.au...

Francois Gauvin

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
I fixed my problem. I used Ranish Partition Manager Version 2.38 Beta 1.8.

I deleted the damn partition, et voila!

Thanks for your response.

Francois

Francois Gauvin <fga...@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message :