Need help parsing win95 shortcuts

1 view

joel

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
Does anyone know if it is possible to search a hard drive for any shortcuts
that point to a particular executable?

The scenario is this:
I am writing a script to update software on thousands of Windows95 machines,
and I need to find and delete any and all shortcuts that were used/created
by the user. Of course, the "default" shortcuts that were originally
installed will be easy to identify and remove, but the custom shortcuts made
by the users still need to be identified and removed.

My idea was to parse all ".LNK" files and identify which ones point to a the
executable I am removing. The problem is...how do I collect the 'command
line' information from the LNK files to identify the ones I want?

Anybody?

Please email or post anything you can help with!
joel...@home.com

Dirk Fieldhouse

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
In article <rg%w3.9378$Hu6....@news.rdc1.wa.home.com>, joel
(joel...@home.com) says...

Use the (not part of the installation) shortcut.exe utility supplied with W95
to get target information from a .lnk. Then you only have to work out how to
enumerate the .lnk on the disk...

--
Dirk Fieldhouse Logica UK Limited
field...@logica.com 75 Hampstead Road

John Gianni

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99

On 27 Aug 1999 13:17:16 GMT, field...@logica.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
wrote:

>Use the (not part of the installation) shortcut.exe utility supplied with W95
>to get target information from a .lnk. Then you only have to work out how to
>enumerate the .lnk on the disk...

Hmmm... sounds useful, but, uh, er, um... I searched all the Win95 CAB
files and didn't find "shortcut.exe" in any of them. Where might it
lie?

TIA,
Jo...@cadence.com

Darren Voisey

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
shortcut.exe is tucked away on the Windows OSR2 CD.

--
darren!voi...@hotmail.com (remove the ! for a reply)

William H. Fletcher

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Looking at the MSDN site I could find no documentation of the .LNK file
format, and after peeking at them I see the encoding is anything but simple.
There are programming examples in C++ under the UI / Shell Programming
documentation which would help write a program to access this information.

Good luck,

Bill