"Ye olde safe mode only problem", how can I get a new boot up disk!

Steve Talbot

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Ladies, Gentlemen and Hermaphrodites,

I have recently had my PC hard disk fail with the error message;

Driver I/O error
The sub directory .\losubsys or files within it, is corrupt.
Low memory

…or something like that.

So I tired to re-load Windows 95, but some programmes in the past have
loaded lots of drivers and therefore I can only start in safe mode. I have
therefore decided to get a new and larger hard drive and start again.

Now in trying to get it going again, my Windows 95 start up disk has been
damaged and when I boot up from this floppy it tells me of an error in line
4 of my “config.sys” file. Looking at that line it appears it wants to load
a driver called “sample.sys” which when looking on the floppy, is not there.

Can you help with either or all of the following;

1> Where can I get a copy of this file?

2> Is there a site where I can get a file, which has all the start up files
on it?

3> Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Steve

** Please remove all traces of SPAMFREE if replying to me via email **

Tim Slattery

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
"Steve Talbot" <SPAMF...@tesco.netSPAMFREE> wrote:

>Ladies, Gentlemen and Hermaphrodites,
>
>I have recently had my PC hard disk fail with the error message;
>
>Driver I/O error
>The sub directory .\losubsys or files within it, is corrupt.
>Low memory
>
>…or something like that.
>
>So I tired to re-load Windows 95, but some programmes in the past have
>loaded lots of drivers and therefore I can only start in safe mode. I have
>therefore decided to get a new and larger hard drive and start again.
>
>Now in trying to get it going again, my Windows 95 start up disk has been
>damaged and when I boot up from this floppy it tells me of an error in line
>4 of my “config.sys” file. Looking at that line it appears it wants to load
>a driver called “sample.sys” which when looking on the floppy, is not there.

I've never heard of such a file. It's certainly not anything that
ships with Win95. Try simply commenting it out (prefix it with REM) in
the config.sys file. Most likely things will work just fine.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Mike Cutts

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Are you reading this on an win98 comp?
If so go to add/remove programs in the control panel and make a new start up
disk.

--
Michael Cutts
Technical Admin

Tim Slattery wrote in message
<7a62dscji6pmvpqmo...@4ax.com>...

Mike Cutts

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Or borrow a win 98 start up disk or, if your comps new enough, set the bios
to boot to the cdrom.

W.E. Hamilton II

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Try adding the following line to the [VCACHE] line of your SYSTEM.INI.
MAXFILECACHE=6144

Steve Talbot wrote:

> Ladies, Gentlemen and Hermaphrodites,
>
> I have recently had my PC hard disk fail with the error message;
>
> Driver I/O error
> The sub directory .\losubsys or files within it, is corrupt.
> Low memory
>
> …or something like that.
>
> So I tired to re-load Windows 95, but some programmes in the past have
> loaded lots of drivers and therefore I can only start in safe mode. I have
> therefore decided to get a new and larger hard drive and start again.
>
> Now in trying to get it going again, my Windows 95 start up disk has been
> damaged and when I boot up from this floppy it tells me of an error in line
> 4 of my “config.sys” file. Looking at that line it appears it wants to load
> a driver called “sample.sys” which when looking on the floppy, is not there.

Paul Pracz

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Does this error prevent your computer from finishing the boot-up? It
shouldn't. My guess is that file is serving no purpose. I should think any
reputable programmer would know that naming a file "sample" is the same as
naming a file "delete me".
Keep us posted on the outcome.

Steve Talbot

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Paul Pracz wrote in message <38D24D22...@mailbox3.tcfbank.com>...

>Does this error prevent your computer from finishing the boot-up? It
>shouldn't. My guess is that file is serving no purpose. I should think any
>reputable programmer would know that naming a file "sample" is the same as
>naming a file "delete me".
>Keep us posted on the outcome.

Yes you were right, after "reading" the CONFIG.SYS file it appears that my
supplier had not replaced that SAMPLE.SYS with my CD-ROM driver and copied
that file on to the floppy.

Now boots up OK....But, Their are a lot of VXD files WIn95 is having
problems with and I have bit the bullet and brought a new hard drive and are
going to start a fresh.

Does anyone know what the right BIOS settings for computer which is going to
work in Win95 (my BIOS is 1997 Award).

The wonderfull suppiler had put a password on the BIOS, for reasons known
only to him, so I had to remove the battery to clear this therefore giving
it default settings. I couldn't ask him the password as he's gone bust.
The "Disable PS/2 mouse" (which is a default setting) had me foxed for a
while!! And before you ask, I tried all the "factory" BIOS password "get
arounds" without sucess.

So is anyone can help me with the settings that would great.

Rez

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Steve Talbot wrote:

> Does anyone know what the right BIOS settings for computer which is going to
> work in Win95 (my BIOS is 1997 Award).
> So is anyone can help me with the settings that would great.

This is probably the same BIOS as on my P233 (Win95 system) Generally
the defaults should work fine; use autodetect for HDs and IDE CDROMs. I
don't think I've changed anything in mine other than numlock off at
boot.

BTW, this era of Award BIOSs has a bug where it only supports up to 7.9g
hard disks, even tho it claims to support up to 8.4g. It will only
support over 7.9g with Disk Manager or the like.

~REZ~