How to run a DOS program in Windows7?

Markus R.

Apr 16, 2011, 4:15:32 PM4/16/11
Hi all!

Maybe this is not the right board, but anyway:

A friend of mine uses a DOS based database called "TexAss" which is
similar to dbase from the early 90s.

So he used this database for managing customers' data, invoices and so
on, first under plain MS DOS, then win3.x, 9x and finally windows xp in
the "dos box". Yes, this worked.

Now he purchased a new notebook coming along with windows 7 and, guess:
Some functions like selecting / replacing placeholders do not work any
more. And no one can tell him why.

So he asked me to get a workaround like "dos box" for windows, but after
installing this one, it simply freezes after getting invoked. No clue why.

Now someone recommended to install "vm ware", but this seems to be
overkill, because I am looking for a small and easy to use solution,
suitable for someone who is *not* a windows expert.

Can someone point me to one more solution, just enough to simply run a
DOS program on top of windows 7?

Thanks for any hint,
best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Auric__

Apr 17, 2011, 8:27:30 AM4/17/11
Markus R. Keßler wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Maybe this is not the right board, but anyway:
>
> A friend of mine uses a DOS based database called "TexAss" which is
> similar to dbase from the early 90s.
>
> So he used this database for managing customers' data, invoices and so
> on, first under plain MS DOS, then win3.x, 9x and finally windows xp in
> the "dos box". Yes, this worked.
>
> Now he purchased a new notebook coming along with windows 7 and, guess:
> Some functions like selecting / replacing placeholders do not work any
> more. And no one can tell him why.
>
> So he asked me to get a workaround like "dos box" for windows, but after
> installing this one, it simply freezes after getting invoked. No clue why.
>
> Now someone recommended to install "vm ware", but this seems to be
> overkill, because I am looking for a small and easy to use solution,
> suitable for someone who is *not* a windows expert.
>
> Can someone point me to one more solution, just enough to simply run a
> DOS program on top of windows 7?

No such thing.

Your choices are:
- install a different emulator (DOSbox and VMware are both emulators)
- install a different version of Windows (XP or older)
- install DOS and dual-boot
- get a different computer
- get a different database app

Sorry, but that's the way it is. MS changed things pretty severely starting with
Vista.

--
You know, if I at least had mint-flavored shoes,
having my foot in my mouth so much wouldn't be half as bad.

Seestern

Apr 17, 2011, 9:52:32 AM4/17/11

Look into Wordperfect for DOS

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/windowsseven.html

here you might find an answer, but not an easy one.

Seestern

Markus R.

Apr 19, 2011, 5:20:35 AM4/19/11

Hi Auric,

I was afraid of hearing that. I've already asked him to "fall back" to
windows xp, but he's not willing to.

But anyway, there's a windows port of "DOSBox" out, which was originally
done for Linux and then also ported to Windows (xp).

It runs fine on any kernel 2.6.x Linux box and so I was looking forward
to getting it to work on my friend's Windows7 notebook, but Unfortunately
it freezes completely after getting invoked. I have no clue, why.
The installation runs without any problem.

Has anyone already tried "DOSBox" on "windows 7"?

Thanks again,

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Apr 19, 2011, 7:51:51 AM4/19/11

"Markus R. Keßler" <dimk...@uni.de> wrote in message

> Hi all!
>
> Maybe this is not the right board, but anyway:
>
> A friend of mine uses a DOS based database called "TexAss" which is
> similar to dbase from the early 90s.
>
> So he used this database for managing customers' data, invoices and
> so
> on, first under plain MS DOS, then win3.x, 9x and finally windows xp
> in
> the "dos box". Yes, this worked.
>
> Now he purchased a new notebook coming along with windows 7 and,
> guess:
> Some functions like selecting / replacing placeholders do not work
> any
> more. And no one can tell him why.
>
> So he asked me to get a workaround like "dos box" for windows, but
> after
> installing this one, it simply freezes after getting invoked. No
> clue why.
>
> Now someone recommended to install "vm ware", but this seems to be
> overkill, because I am looking for a small and easy to use solution,
> suitable for someone who is *not* a windows expert.
>
> Can someone point me to one more solution, just enough to simply run
> DOS program on top of windows 7?

Since the program works under Windows XP, if you haven't tried "XP
Mode" yet, you should - it is an add-on to Windows 7 that runs a
virtual copy of Windows XP. Any program that works under XP *should*
run under XP Mode. Give it a look here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

--
Zaphod

Vell, Zaphod's just zis guy, ya know? - Gag Halfrunt

Auric__

Apr 19, 2011, 8:25:32 AM4/19/11
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

> Since the program works under Windows XP, if you haven't tried "XP
> Mode" yet, you should - it is an add-on to Windows 7 that runs a
> virtual copy of Windows XP. Any program that works under XP *should*
> run under XP Mode. Give it a look here:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

Good thinking; I'd forgotten that one. OP should make sure the computer is fast
enough and has enough RAM for this *first*, though.

--
Anyway, nice to see that I made enough of an impact to be so feared
that I am considered one of the two prime evils.

Seestern

Apr 20, 2011, 4:42:54 AM4/20/11
Am 19.04.2011 14:25, schrieb Auric__:
> Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
>
>> Since the program works under Windows XP, if you haven't tried "XP
>> Mode" yet, you should - it is an add-on to Windows 7 that runs a
>> virtual copy of Windows XP. Any program that works under XP *should*
>> run under XP Mode. Give it a look here:
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode
>
> Good thinking; I'd forgotten that one. OP should make sure the computer is fast
> enough and has enough RAM for this *first*, though.

"XP-mode" is to my knowledge for XP-Windows programms. You
talk about a DOS programm.

- DOSbox in generally works also under Windows 7.

- the other alternative is download MS virtual PC 2007 SP1
(free available from MS) and install Windows 98 DOS only. On
that you should be able to run your DOS-programm.

Problems since VISTA is that this "newer Windows" don't
use VGA graphical standard anymore.

Seestern

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Apr 20, 2011, 11:37:06 AM4/20/11

"Seestern" <sees...@arcor.de> wrote in message

> Am 19.04.2011 14:25, schrieb Auric__:
>> Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
>>
>>> Since the program works under Windows XP, if you haven't tried "XP
>>> Mode" yet, you should - it is an add-on to Windows 7 that runs a
>>> virtual copy of Windows XP. Any program that works under XP
>>> *should*
>>> run under XP Mode. Give it a look here:
>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode
>>
>> Good thinking; I'd forgotten that one. OP should make sure the
>> computer is fast
>> enough and has enough RAM for this *first*, though.
>>
> "XP-mode" is to my knowledge for XP-Windows programms. You
> talk about a DOS programm.

XP Mode is a virtual Windows XP environment. If it works in XP
natively, it *should* work under XP Mode, whether it is an XP-Windows
program, a Windows 9x program, DOS program, etc.

> - DOSbox in generally works also under Windows 7.
>
> - the other alternative is download MS virtual PC 2007 SP1
> (free available from MS) and install Windows 98 DOS only. On that
> you should be able to run your DOS-programm.

You of course have to have a license (and media) to install and run
Windows 98 to do that, but sure, that should work too - by the way,as
I understand it, Virtual PC is how Windows 7 hosts XP Mode. The
benefit there is that it includes the license for XP, and you don't
have to have the media to install it.

> Problems since VISTA is that this "newer Windows" don't
> use VGA graphical standard anymore.

Really not sure what you are trying to say here, but of course Vista
and newer versions of Windows adhere to the VGA graphical standard
(unless you mean full screen DOS text mode).

--
Zaphod

"The best Bang since the Big One" - Eccentrica Gallumbits

H-Man

Apr 20, 2011, 5:34:02 PM4/20/11
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:37:06 -0400, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

>> "XP-mode" is to my knowledge for XP-Windows programms. You
>> talk about a DOS programm.
>
> XP Mode is a virtual Windows XP environment. If it works in XP
> natively, it *should* work under XP Mode, whether it is an XP-Windows
> program, a Windows 9x program, DOS program, etc.

Just to clarify, as you are correct in your statement. XP Mode is Microsoft
Virtual PC with a Windows XP VM.

--
HK

Auric__

Apr 20, 2011, 6:35:39 PM4/20/11
H-Man wrote:

My understanding is that VPC was modified for XP mode, to provide better OS
integration... or something like that.

--
No more mexican food for you, Hiroshima Butt.

Seestern

Apr 21, 2011, 3:06:00 AM4/21/11
Am 20.04.2011 17:37, schrieb Zaphod Beeblebrox:
> "Seestern"<sees...@arcor.de> wrote in message
>> Am 19.04.2011 14:25, schrieb Auric__:
>>> Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
>>>

> XP Mode is a virtual Windows XP environment. If it works in XP
> natively, it *should* work under XP Mode, whether it is an XP-Windows
> program, a Windows 9x program, DOS program, etc.

Aplication software like word processor etc. are running
extrem slow in the XP modus, besides you need under DOS for
this programs a full screen to use them in graphic modus
for optimum performance.

>> - the other alternative is download MS virtual PC 2007 SP1
>> (free available from MS) and install Windows 98 DOS only. On that
>> you should be able to run your DOS-programm.

Of course you have to have a license for Win 98. That was
the last operation system with a right DOS envirement. XP
already uses virtual DOS, which is okay but not the best
for optimum performance of aplication software.

>> Problems since VISTA is that this "newer Windows" don't
>> use VGA graphical standard anymore.

For aplication software you need a full screen to use it's
graphical modus for optimum performance. In text modus in a
window it is not worse to use it. To improve this I
recommend to use tameDOS which repairs most problems of MS
VDM and let's aplication software in text modus run in full
screen.
Under VISTA and Win7 you additionally should use XP
graphic driver for the hardware, if possible.

Seestern

H-Man

Apr 21, 2011, 10:38:40 AM4/21/11

I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. It would still be some iteration
of VPC in either case. I've not done this, but it looks like the XP mode
VPC is set up to allow creation of other VMs. I'm not sure about the
different VMs and how they'd be integrated with the host, but it's
interesting that one might be able to install a W98SE mode or a MS-DOS mode
as well.

--
HK

Seestern

Apr 22, 2011, 4:29:21 AM4/22/11
Am 16.04.2011 22:15, schrieb Markus R. Keßler:
I just found another solution:

http://www.zinstall.com/lp/products/zinstall-xp7

I never used this programm and it is not for free.
But if it is as good as advertised you should try it.

Seestern

Markus R.

Apr 22, 2011, 5:43:13 PM4/22/11

Hi all,

many thanks for all your help!

Yes, in the meantime we installed the mentioned "xp mode" as a kind of
virtual machine on top of the real machine or so, and the DOS application
which didn't work correctly in Windows 7 is now working as it always did
on every on those "native" Win xp machines.

As far as I see this correctly, the data used by the xp emulation is
assigned to a special "drive" and so data can be copied between both
sides via explorer or TotalCommander.

Great! Thanks again!

Best regards,

amlmon...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2013, 6:44:16 PM9/29/13
I have the same problem and have been using two computers. Looking at the zinstall-xp7 website, it seems to be the answer. Thank you.