Windows

KM

Nov 24, 2003, 5:40:54 PM11/24/03
I have two old packard bell computers with windows
workgroups on that my boss wants to save the hard drives
to another computer....any suggestions how to accomplish
this?

Josiah

Nov 24, 2003, 5:58:02 PM11/24/03
Option 1: Network them to the computer you wanna transfer the data to either
by a network hub, a crossover ethernet cable or a null modem cable (connects
via serial ports).

Option 2: Take out the hard drives from the old PB computers and put them
into the system you want to backup to as slave drives, then copy/move the
files to the systems master drive then just put the old HDs back into the PB
machines.

"KM" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

pml

Nov 25, 2003, 7:34:12 AM11/25/03
Before copying the files, don't forget to make bootable DOS floppies with
the installed version of DOS, with (at least) FDISK.*, FORMAT.*, SYS.* and
COMMAND.COM (in order to make the other the other system bootable).

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Nov 25, 2003, 5:08:28 PM11/25/03
josiah,

I did option 2 as you suggested....when I try to open the
dive, only two files show and can not boot to the hard
drive ....I changed to nfts hoping they would be
visable....did not work

>.

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Nov 25, 2003, 5:10:08 PM11/25/03
could you walk me through this....thanks
>.

philo

Nov 25, 2003, 7:08:18 PM11/25/03

> josiah,
>
> I did option 2 as you suggested....when I try to open the
> dive, only two files show and can not boot to the hard
> drive ....I changed to nfts hoping they would be
> visable....did not work

first off
if you hook up the old drives to the new machine as slave
you do not have to make them bootable

if you only see two files...it is probably because the drives are compressed
the volumes will need to be mounted if you have a win9x machine
but IIRC that is not possible from win2k or XP

if that;s the case
you will need to put them back in the original machine and uncompress
them...

if there is not enough room to allow for uncompressing...
you will have to delete non-essential files

Josiah

Nov 25, 2003, 8:56:20 PM11/25/03
If you need DOS boot disks, go to http://www.bootdisk.com and get the
appropriate one. it'll create a disk for you with the exe you download.

<anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Dulak

Nov 26, 2003, 8:42:05 AM11/26/03

Annon:

Put a floppy in the A: drive and at any DOS prompt type:

Format a: /s <Enter>

This will format the disk and transfer the files needed to make the disk
bootable.

Since there is lots of room still on the floppy it is worth copying any
useful DOS utilities you may need. FDISK FORMAT and SYS for sure.
Something to edit text files like EDIT and anything else you think might
be useful.

Most of the useful stuff will be in C:\DOS and you can use the COPY
command to transfer things to the floppy;

COPY C:\DOS\FORMAT.COM A:\ <Enter>

HTH & GL

John

Remember to TEST the bootdisk and make sure everything works

--
\\\\\//
"Don't take life so seriously... | |
...it's only a temporary condition." (.) (.)
========================================oOO==(_)==OOo==
________________________________
| John G. Dulak |
| Gnomeway Services |
/)| E-mail me from my home page at:|(\
/ )| telerama.com/~jdulak |( \
_( (|________________________________|) )_
((( \ \ > /_) ( \ < / / )))
(\\\ \ \_/ / \ \_/ / ///)
\ / \ /
\ _/ \_ /
/ / \ \

pml

Nov 27, 2003, 3:18:13 PM11/27/03
It's possible, but in that case it's important to get the exact same DOS
version. If the installed DOS version is, lets say, 6.20 and you install a
machine booted from a floppy with 6.22, then some of the utilities on the
harddisk that isn't on the floppy won't work, and there is a risk that some
system files on the hard disk (eg EMM386) had been upgraded (to, say, 4.49),
while the one coming originally with DOS is an older version (say 4.48);
this might lead to the return of some old bugs.

It's not hard to copy the files, but you should know some DOS.

Eg:
C:\> FORMAT A: /S
(...) [Yes do format the floppy etc]
C:\> SYS A:
(just to be sure)
C:\> CD DOS
C:\DOS\> COPY FORMAT.* A:
C:\DOS\> COPY SYS.* A:
C:\DOS\> COPY FDISK.* A:
etc for the files you want to copy. You might want to copy EDLIN.*, EDIT.*,
DOSKEY.*, KEYB*.*, HIMEM.SYS, EMM386.*, SMARTDRV.* XCOPY.* also.

I don't know though which files EDIT requires; QBASIC.* also?

If you have burnt the hard disk onto a CD-ROM you may want to copy MSCDEX.*,
the appropriate "CDROM.SYS" to the floppy and edit it's
autoexec.bat/config.sys to load the CD-driver (look in current
autoexec.bat/config.sys for which driver to use; it may work on the new
machine if it's an IDE CD-drive.)

Mike Dee

Nov 29, 2003, 4:39:15 AM11/29/03
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:18:13 +0100, "pml"
<m1343(a)abc.se@nospam%mail.nattliv.com> wrote:

>It's possible, but in that case it's important to get the exact same DOS
>version. If the installed DOS version is, lets say, 6.20 and you install a
>machine booted from a floppy with 6.22, then some of the utilities on the
>harddisk that isn't on the floppy won't work, and there is a risk that some
>system files on the hard disk (eg EMM386) had been upgraded (to, say, 4.49),
>while the one coming originally with DOS is an older version (say 4.48);
>this might lead to the return of some old bugs.
>
>It's not hard to copy the files, but you should know some DOS.
>
>Eg:
>C:\> FORMAT A: /S
>(...) [Yes do format the floppy etc]
>C:\> SYS A:
>(just to be sure)
>C:\> CD DOS
>C:\DOS\> COPY FORMAT.* A:
>C:\DOS\> COPY SYS.* A:
>C:\DOS\> COPY FDISK.* A:
>etc for the files you want to copy. You might want to copy EDLIN.*, EDIT.*,
>DOSKEY.*, KEYB*.*, HIMEM.SYS, EMM386.*, SMARTDRV.* XCOPY.* also.

Edlin is broken in 6.22 [will not run] on the bright side, it doesn't
get installed either, unless the DOS 6.22 "update" has been applied [in
order to get dosshell etc].

>I don't know though which files EDIT requires; QBASIC.* also?

Yes.

>If you have burnt the hard disk onto a CD-ROM you may want to copy MSCDEX.*,
>the appropriate "CDROM.SYS" to the floppy and edit it's
>autoexec.bat/config.sys to load the CD-driver (look in current
>autoexec.bat/config.sys for which driver to use; it may work on the new
>machine if it's an IDE CD-drive.)

All good advice, I also like to include mouse.com, tree.com, attrib.exe,
chkdsk.exe, defrag.exe, deltree.exe, scandisk.exe and ansi.sys.... any
others that may go in here?

Mike Dee

Nov 29, 2003, 7:40:22 PM11/29/03
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:50:30 GMT, joe_d...@yahoo.com (Joe Batch)
wrote:

>Mike Dee wrote:
>>Edlin is broken in 6.22 [will not run] on the bright side, it doesn't
>>get installed either, unless the DOS 6.22 "update" has been applied [in
>>order to get dosshell etc].
>

>I use edlin in MSDOS 6.22 and have not had any problems.

Interesting, I only get an error message "incorrect DOS version" when
trying to run edlin under MSDOS 6.22. - This is the edlin as installed
by the 6.22 resource kit, - which installs dosshell and assorted
utilities, etc.

Perhaps I should try "tricking" edlin into thinking I have an earlier
version of DOS [can't recall the actual syntax to do this, but I think
it won't be too hard to find].

Sebastian

Nov 30, 2003, 5:40:29 AM11/30/03
Try this command:
SETVER PROGNAME.EXT DOSVER
If you have an Edlin.exe from DOS 5.0 the command is:
SETVER EDLIN.EXE 5.0
To activate these settings you have to load setver.exe in the config.sys
with a line like: DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
You have to reboot to activate these settings.

Mike Dee

Nov 30, 2003, 7:31:20 PM11/30/03
"Sebastian" <basti...@web.de> wrote in

This was the command I was thinking of. Unfortunately I haven't been able
to find the version # edlin is expecting to find [have tried 3.3, 4.0, 5.0,
6.0, so far to no avail]

May have to try Joe Batch's approach with this one :)

Mike Dee

Nov 30, 2003, 7:38:52 PM11/30/03
joe_d...@yahoo.com (Joe Batch) wrote in

>>>I use edlin in MSDOS 6.22 and have not had any problems.
>
>>Interesting, I only get an error message "incorrect DOS version" when
>>trying to run edlin under MSDOS 6.22. - This is the edlin as installed
>>by the 6.22 resource kit, - which installs dosshell and assorted
>>utilities, etc.

> [ROT13]

> Jryy, abg dhvgr. Gurer jnf fgvyy n ceboyrz: Guvf unpxrq irefvba bs
> RQYVA jbhyq jbex jvgu QBF 7, ohg ab ybatre jvgu QBF 6.k. Fb V jrag
> onpx gb zl urk rqvgbe, naq ercynprq gur WR gung V unq unpxrq va jvgu n
> cnve bs ABCf. Abj gur whzc pbqr jnf ab zber, naq ab znggre jung
> irefvba, RQYVA jvyy eha. Bs pbhefr, V pna'g thnenagrr gung RQYVA
> qbrfa'g hfr fbzrguvat gung bayl QBF 6.k naq yngre unir, ohg va zl
> grfgf vg unf unq ab ceboyrzf ng nyy. Lbh fubhyq or noyr gb hfr vg jvgu
> QBF 3.k naq nobir.

Nu un! Fb lbh arrqrq gb *unpx* rqyva gb znxr vg jbex ba 6.22 naq yngre! ;)

Thanks for the info Joe, looks like I'll need to do the same to get it to
work. The setver approach seems the easier solution though, [if only I
could get that to work too] :)

Anonymous

Nov 30, 2003, 7:52:11 PM11/30/03
Assembler for Dummies
=====================

edlin.lst ;ACDEILMPQRSTW Sourcer v8.00 1-Dec-2003 04:00 pm Page 1

PAGE 59,132

;==========================================================================
;== ==
;== EDLIN ==
;== ==
;== Created: 31-May-94 ==
;== Passes: 9 Analysis Options on: QRS ==
;== ==
;==========================================================================

.err Target Assembler set to NONE, re-assembly not recommended

.386c

;--------------------------------------------------------------------------
; SUBROUTINE
;
; Called from: 9427:1289
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------

9427:12DC sub_61 proc near
9427:12DC B4 30 mov ah,30h
9427:12DE CD 21 int 21h ; DOS Services ah=function 30h
; get DOS version number ax
9427:12E0 3D 0616 cmp ax,1606h ; DOS version 6.22 ?
9427:12E3 75 03 jne short loc_224 ; Jump if not equal
9427:12E5 F8 clc ; Clear carry flag
9427:12E6 EB 18 jmp short loc_ret_227 ; (1300)
9427:12E8 loc_224: ; xref 9427:12E3
9427:12E8 3D 0200 cmp ax,2
9427:12EB 73 05 jae short loc_225 ; Jump if above or =
9427:12ED BB FFFF mov bx,0FFFFh
9427:12F0 EB 03 jmp short loc_226 ; (12F5)
9427:12F2 loc_225: ; xref 9427:12EB
9427:12F2 BB 0200 mov bx,2
9427:12F5 loc_226: ; xref 9427:12F0
9427:12F5 B8 0100 mov ax,1
9427:12F8 B9 0000 mov cx,0
9427:12FB B2 00 mov dl,0
9427:12FD B6 FF mov dh,0FFh
9427:12FF F9 stc ; Set carry flag

9427:1300 loc_ret_227: ; xref 9427:12E6
9427:1300 C3 retn
sub_61 endp

Changes for MSDOS 7.0 and above
===============================

9427:12E3 72 03 jb short loc_224 ; Jump if below

EDLIN.EXE (12674 bytes / 31-May-94)

0014E3: 75 -> 72

Mike Dee

Dec 1, 2003, 8:08:19 PM12/1/03
Anonymous <nob...@anon.lcs.mit.edu> wrote in

> Assembler for Dummies
> =====================
>
> edlin.lst ;ACDEILMPQRSTW Sourcer v8.00
> 1-Dec-2003 04:00 pm Page 1

And for the even *dummer*... [meaning: me]
Download the already hacked EDLIN.EXE:

<http://filebox.vt.edu/users/alrobin2/home/edlin/download.html>

And "Joe Batch", if your name isn't "Alan Robinson, of RC Software", then
you should be feeling a little sheepish about that ROT 13 submission you
made earlier, ie, compare your own post to the "*How I Hacked EDLIN" write-
up at the above URL. Tsk, tsk...

Mike Dee

Dec 2, 2003, 10:15:25 PM12/2/03

>>Naq "Wbr Ongpu", vs lbhe anzr vfa'g "Nyna Ebovafba, bs EP Fbsgjner",
>>gura lbh fubhyq or srryvat n yvggyr furrcvfu nobhg gung EBG 13
>>fhozvffvba lbh znqr rneyvre, vr, pbzcner lbhe bja cbfg gb ... Gfx,
>>gfx...
>
> V pbcvrq naq cnfgrq gur grkg (boivbhfyl).
> Qb lbh xabj jul V qvq abg zragvba jurer gur grkg pnzr sebz?
> Qb lbh xabj jul V hfrq EBG 13?
> Qb lbh xabj jul V hfrq K-Ab-Nepuvir: Lrf?
> Qb lbh xabj jul V rkcverq zl negvpyrf 11 Qrp 2003?
>
> Vg frrzf lbh unir haqrefgbbq abguvat.

Well it's a good thing your post hadn't expired from my server then. X-No-
archive this. The truth is out there :)

From: joe_d...@yahoo.com (Joe Batch)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win3x_wfw_dos
Subject: Re: Windows
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:31:41 GMT

>>>Edlin is broken in 6.22 [will not run] on the bright side, it doesn't
>>>get installed either, unless the DOS 6.22 "update" has been applied [in
>>>order to get dosshell etc].

>>I use edlin in MSDOS 6.22 and have not had any problems.

>Interesting, I only get an error message "incorrect DOS version" when
>trying to run edlin under MSDOS 6.22. - This is the edlin as installed
>by the 6.22 resource kit, - which installs dosshell and assorted
>utilities, etc.
>
>Perhaps I should try "tricking" edlin into thinking I have an earlier
>version of DOS [can't recall the actual syntax to do this, but I think
>it won't be too hard to find].

[ROT13]
Fgenatr. Gur irefvba va gur 6.22 fhccyrzragny hgvyvgvrf vf fhccbfrq gb
jbex va 6.22. V'q fnl vg'f orggre gb svk rqyva guna gb jnfgr erfbheprf
ba Z$$$f fghcvq irefvba purpxvat.

V unq ceboyrzf ehaavat rqyva va zfqbf 7.k fb V svkrq vg.

Jryy, gur ceboyrz jnf guvf: Yvxr zbfg ZF-QBF cebtenzf, RQYVA purpxf gb znxr
fher
gung gur irefvba bs QBF lbh ner ehaavat vf gur fnzr nf gur bar lbhe pbcl bs
RQYVA pbzrf jvgu.

Nyy V unq gb qb jnf svaq bhg jung pbqr jnf orvat hfrq gb qb guvf, naq svk
vg fb
gung vg jbhyq eha haqre nal irefvba bs QBF. V tbg bhg zl CF/2-CP Nffrzoyl
Ynathntr obbx, naq ybbxrq va gur vagreehcg yvfg sbe n shapgvba gung gbyq
lbh
jung irefvba bs QBF jnf ehaavat. Fhecevfr fhecevfr, vg jnf n shapgvba bs
VAG 21U
(shagvba 30U gb or rknpg.)

Zl svefg nggrzcg jnf gb QROHT RQYVA.RKR, juvpu vavgvnyyl ybbxrq cebzvfvat.
Nsgre
uvggvat H sbegl gvzrf, V qvfpbirerq gung gur pbqr V jnf ybbxvat sbe jnfa'g
arne
gur ortvaavat bs gur cebtenz, naq rira jbefr, gung QROHT jbhyqa'g yrg lbh
jevgr
gb na RKR.

Bx, fb ubj jnf V tbvat gb rqvg gung svyr? V qrpvqrq gb gel urkrqvgvat vg.
Svefg
V arrqrq gb xabj jung vafgehpgvbaf V jnf ybbxvat sbe, naq jung gubfr
vafgehpgvbaf ybbxrq yvxr va URK. V oebxr bhg zl qffrzoyl obbx, qvq fbzr
erfrnepu, naq jebgr qbja gur erfhygf.

Gura V ybnqrq zl QBF serrjner urkrqvg cebtenz naq frnepurq sbe gur
vafgehpgvba
tebhc gung jbhyq erghea gur irefvba bs QBF, ZBI NU,30; VAG 21U (O420 PQ21
va
urk). Fher rabhtu, V sbhaq guvf tebhc. Gura V ybbxrq sbe n PZC NU, 6 (3P06
va
urk). V pbhyqa'g svaq guvf vafgehpgvba, ohg V qvq svaq n 3Q06 va gur evtug
cynpr. Nsgre guna V sbhaq n WAR (Whzc vs Abg Rdhny) vafgehpgvba, naq
qrpvqrq
gung V unq sbhaq gur evtug cynpr, rira vs vg qvqa'g ybbx rknpgyl yvxr V unq
rkcrpgrq. Fb V punatrq WAR gb WR, naq gevrq vg bhg. Vg ybnqrq hc n svyr,
jvgubhg
nal ceboyrz, naq yrg zr rqvg vg. Fhpprff!

Mike Dee

Dec 4, 2003, 5:50:45 AM12/4/03

> Mike Dee wrote:
>>
>>Well it's a good thing your post hadn't expired from my server then.
>>X-No- archive this. The truth is out there :)
>

> It is no wonder that most intelligent people do no participate in
> newsgroups anymore. It is frustrating trying to communicate with
> basket cases :(. I give up on this basket case. Ok, Mike Dee, you
> win.

Wow! Resorting to name-calling. Must've hit a raw nerve.

I didn't realize plagiarists would be so serious about their craft. Don't
take it too hard, I found it funny at least. If you had included a source I
wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought, besides, it was only by chance I
stumbled across the original.

Also, don't give up doing what you do best. I make use of an incredible
ascii screen grabber that you'd posted (and didn't plagiarize) for this I
am eternally indebted and thankful to you, Joe Batch. - I'm referring here
to the snap.bat ascii assembler by Laura Fairhead - it's really excellent.

Mike Dee

Dec 6, 2003, 12:55:05 AM12/6/03

> Since you (apparently) are from an island which used to be entirely
> a British prison colony (except for aborigines), it could very well
> be that you are descendant from a long line of criminals.

It is no wonder that most intelligent people do no participate in
newsgroups anymore. It is frustrating trying to communicate with

basket cases :(. I give up on this basket case. Ok, Joe Batch, you
win.

??

Dec 16, 2003, 1:11:39 AM12/16/03
unix

nac...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2016, 10:50:13 AM7/18/16
Hi sr. I need other help... different of this foro.

i need to get the drivers of lan card under MS-dos ver 6.22. How charge the drivers and syntaxis for autoexec.bat and config.sys files?

Tks

Wildman

Jul 18, 2016, 12:00:16 PM7/18/16
What is the lan card brand and model number? Cannot do much
without that information.

And just to be clear, since the subject line says Windows, do
you need a dos driver or a windows driver? If it is a windows
driver, what is the windows version?

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
Why should I take responsibility for my own actions

Euclides Zoto

Jan 17, 2017, 8:45:56 PM1/17/17
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 11:00:11 -0500, Wildman <best...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 07:50:13 -0700, nacunaa wrote:
>
>> Hi sr. I need other help... different of this foro.
>>
>> i need to get the drivers of lan card under MS-dos ver 6.22.
>> How charge the drivers and syntaxis for autoexec.bat and config.sys files?
>>
>> Tks
>
>What is the lan card brand and model number? Cannot do much
>without that information.
>
>And just to be clear, since the subject line says Windows, do
>you need a dos driver or a windows driver? If it is a windows
>driver, what is the windows version?

If he is using those modern cards of today then it is hopeless. He
doesn't give even any info on what computer he is using? On ebay
there are still ISA lan cards and some PCI cards that still can be
used with dos and windows drivers. I have seen some people using
windows 3.1 in a Dosbox on there "super computer". YUCK!

EZoto

Auric__

Jan 18, 2017, 3:39:39 AM1/18/17
Euclides Zoto wrote:

> I have seen some people using
> windows 3.1 in a Dosbox on there "super computer". YUCK!

What's wrong with that? I have 6.22+3.1 running under VMWare. (Admittedly, I
don't use it for much, but still.) This machine isn't exactly a "super
computer", but it *is* too modern to have DOS or 3.x drivers.

--
LOT OF BIRD DROP DEAD IN ARKANSAS! THEN LOT OF FISH DIE!
DRUNK HULK TERRIFY! SOMEWHERE OUT THERE IS CAT WITH ONE WISH LEFT!

Euclides Zoto

Jan 18, 2017, 10:15:48 PM1/18/17
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 08:38:01 -0000 (UTC), "Auric__"
<not.m...@email.address> wrote:

>Euclides Zoto wrote:
>
>> I have seen some people using
>> windows 3.1 in a Dosbox on there "super computer". YUCK!
>
>What's wrong with that? I have 6.22+3.1 running under VMWare. (Admittedly, I
>don't use it for much, but still.) This machine isn't exactly a "super
>computer", but it *is* too modern to have DOS or 3.x drivers.

I've seen many who use the dosbox and it runs slow or the the dosbox
they use is inferior etc etc. I have heard some dosboxes running it
fine without any problems. I've even seen it on an android running
dosbox. I guess I'm just a purist at heart.

EZoto

Wildman

Jan 19, 2017, 2:45:30 PM1/19/17
I have all of the above. WFW 3.11 on a P2/966mhz with 256meg
of ram running on DOS 7 (Win98SE DOS). Speed is very fast.
I'm posting from it now using Agent 1.5.

I have a VMware VM with WFW 3.11 running on DOS 6.22. The
network/internet works fine. Speed wise it does quite well but not
as fast as the P2 box.

Last, I have plain 3.11 (not WFW) installed in DosBox. It does OK
but there is no network so it llmits what you can do with it. Speed
seems as good as VMware but not as good as real hardware.

The machine that is hosting the VM can greately affect its speed.
I get a good performance with VMs because they are running on
a 3.6ghz AMD quad with 16gig of ram. They get all the ram and
resources they need. And I'm not doing much else while the
VM is running. I don't do a lot of multitasking any more. <g>

--
<Wildman>
The cow died so I don't need your bull!

Auric__

Jan 19, 2017, 3:23:56 PM1/19/17
Wildman wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 23:14:18 -0500, Euclides Zoto
> <euclid...@optimum.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 08:38:01 -0000 (UTC), "Auric__"
>><not.m...@email.address> wrote:

>>>What's wrong with that? I have 6.22+3.1 running under VMWare.
>>>(Admittedly, I don't use it for much, but still.) This machine isn't
>>>exactly a "super computer", but it *is* too modern to have DOS or 3.x
>>>drivers.
>>
>>I've seen many who use the dosbox and it runs slow or the the dosbox
>>they use is inferior etc etc. I have heard some dosboxes running it
>>fine without any problems. I've even seen it on an android running
>>dosbox. I guess I'm just a purist at heart.
>>
>>EZoto
>
> I have all of the above. WFW 3.11 on a P2/966mhz with 256meg
> of ram running on DOS 7 (Win98SE DOS). Speed is very fast.
> I'm posting from it now using Agent 1.5.

I can't run DOS on bare metal any more. My last truly DOS-capable (e.g. had
drivers) machine died a few months ago. (It was running Win2k server, but I
had DOS drivers for everything.)

When I put my current machine together, my original intention was to do as
I've done since moving to WinNT: put DOS in a small (1-2GB) partition at the
beginning of the drive with all my useful utils, then Windows immediately
after it. I don't remember why I didn't do so, but it must have been a good
reason, cuz there ain't-a no DOS here.

> I have a VMware VM with WFW 3.11 running on DOS 6.22. The
> network/internet works fine. Speed wise it does quite well but not
> as fast as the P2 box.
>
> Last, I have plain 3.11 (not WFW) installed in DosBox. It does OK
> but there is no network so it llmits what you can do with it. Speed
> seems as good as VMware but not as good as real hardware.

I don't ever do anything in DOS or 3.x that really makes me notice the
speed. I suppose I could run some benchmarks but it doesn't really matter to
me.

> The machine that is hosting the VM can greately affect its speed.
> I get a good performance with VMs because they are running on
> a 3.6ghz AMD quad with 16gig of ram. They get all the ram and
> resources they need. And I'm not doing much else while the
> VM is running. I don't do a lot of multitasking any more. <g>

My situation is almost identical to yours, just a slightly-faster
processor... and I do a shitload of multitasking ;-) but nothing really
processor-intensive, for the most part. (If I'm gaming, most everything else
is closed, and that's about as resource-heavy as it gets here.)

--
Do I sit here and try to stand it, or do I try to catch them red-handed?

Auric__

Jan 19, 2017, 3:24:54 PM1/19/17
I wrote:

> I can't run DOS on bare metal any more.

Correction: I'm sure I can, but it's not worthwhile.

--
- Hey, we're back at the dirt farm!
- I never thought I'd be so glad to hear that sentence.

Wildman

Jan 19, 2017, 7:59:08 PM1/19/17
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:23:15 +0000, Auric__ wrote:

> I wrote:
>
>> I can't run DOS on bare metal any more.
>
> Correction: I'm sure I can, but it's not worthwhile.

Sure, I understood what you meant. DOS will run on
anything that is x86 compatible. You were talking
newer motherboards with on-board adapters and no dos
drivers. And boards without a floppy port, ISA slots
or PCI(v.1) slots.

The older stuff is getting harder and harder to find.
I try to attend all the ham fests in driving distance
and sometimes I get lucky. Occasionally there will be
some guy there that cleaned out his garage.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453

Auric__

Jan 20, 2017, 5:27:03 AM1/20/17
Wildman wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:23:15 +0000, Auric__ wrote:
>
>> I wrote:
>>
>>> I can't run DOS on bare metal any more.
>>
>> Correction: I'm sure I can, but it's not worthwhile.
>
> Sure, I understood what you meant. DOS will run on
> anything that is x86 compatible. You were talking
> newer motherboards with on-board adapters and no dos
> drivers. And boards without a floppy port, ISA slots
> or PCI(v.1) slots.

Pretty much, yeah.

The fact that VMware emulates pretty much the same hardware on all host
platforms is very nice; instead of having to dig through my collection of
drivers (10+ GB, 700+ pieces of hardware, and still growing... sigh) I
usually just have to install the "VMware Tools" package and voila, drivers
are dealt with.

> The older stuff is getting harder and harder to find.
> I try to attend all the ham fests in driving distance
> and sometimes I get lucky. Occasionally there will be
> some guy there that cleaned out his garage.

I mostly gave up buying "new" old hardware a few years ago. I bought out an
old call center (long story) and went into "too much junk" overload. (IIRC,
that's where the dead server came from.) Instead, I find it more rewarding to
stick with emulation.

--
@: Hi! I had a purpose before email.

Euclides Zoto

Jan 20, 2017, 10:39:21 PM1/20/17
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:59:03 -0600, Wildman <best...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:23:15 +0000, Auric__ wrote:
>
>> I wrote:
>>
>>> I can't run DOS on bare metal any more.
>>
>> Correction: I'm sure I can, but it's not worthwhile.
>
>Sure, I understood what you meant. DOS will run on
>anything that is x86 compatible. You were talking
>newer motherboards with on-board adapters and no dos
>drivers. And boards without a floppy port, ISA slots
>or PCI(v.1) slots.
>
>The older stuff is getting harder and harder to find.
>I try to attend all the ham fests in driving distance
>and sometimes I get lucky. Occasionally there will be
>some guy there that cleaned out his garage.

I use to get my stuff from computer recycling centers but like you
said the older stuff is getting harder to find. Probably the best
place now is ebay but you have some seller who but a computer together
from scraps. Like putting a dodge slant 6 engine in a ford. The old
compaq were useless since they have those lousy soldered batteries on
the motherboard.....why I'll never know, but Dell has great old stuff
that you can still get. My preference is usually Pentium Pro 200mhz
or MMX 200, 266mhz. Some Gateway or micron once in a while. I own
about 6 of them and still if I see one on ebay and I can afford it
then I get it. Weakness I suppose.

EZoto

sctvguy1

Jan 21, 2017, 12:58:19 PM1/21/17
I' m looking for an old IBM machine, or similar, that I can run OS/2 Warp
Connect on! I have a 528meg HDD ready to go!

Auric__

Jan 21, 2017, 2:45:01 PM1/21/17
sctvguy1 wrote:

> I' m looking for an old IBM machine, or similar, that I can run OS/2 Warp
> Connect on! I have a 528meg HDD ready to go!

Search ebay for "ibm ps/2".

Alternately, OS/2 can run under at least one emulator. I can't remember which
one, but it was specifically written with the goal of running OS/2. I just
checked, and it looks like VMware can run eComStation.

--
Go play in traffic.

Euclides Zoto

Jan 21, 2017, 11:11:59 PM1/21/17
I did not know that.

EZoto

Auric__

Jan 22, 2017, 4:31:16 PM1/22/17
Parallels Workstation is the one. Parallels also wrote SVISTA (Serenity
Virtual Station) for Serenity Systems, publishers of eComStation.

Wikipedia discusses emulation of OS/2 here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2#Virtualization

Many modern emulators support OS/2 to some degree: QEMU, Bochs, VMware,
VirtualPC, VirtualBox, etc.

--
The hunter is caught in his own net.