Change icon for USB storage disk

Gordon Pan

Apr 21, 2010, 9:42:01 PM4/21/10
Hi all,
I would like to change icons for USB storage device. The icons I
want to change include 'NoMediaIcons' and 'Icons'.
I use USB's hardware ID to modify registry, it works fine.

The followings show the registry I have modified:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB
\Vid_03f0&Pid_3207\IQV309IDZ8QVNQFJ\Device Parameters
Icons [REG_MULTI_SZ] = %SystemRoot%\system32\icon.ico
NoMediaIcons [REG_MULTI_SZ] = %SystemRoot%\system32\icon1.ico

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
\PerHwIdStorage\USB#Vid_03f0&Pid_3207
Icons [REG_MULTI_SZ] = %SystemRoot%\system32\icon.ico
NoMediaIcons [REG_MULTI_SZ] = %SystemRoot%\system32\icon1.ico

See above, I modify "Enum" and "PerHwIdStorage" registry key
separately, they work fine both. In other words, the disk icon in "My
computer" has changed.

However, since my USB device has 2 luns, that is, if I plug in the
device, there will be 2 disks in "My computer". If I change above
registry key, the 2 disks will have the same icon.
My purpose is to specify different icon to each disk in a USB
device. I use USBSTOR's hardware ID to modify following registries:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR
\Disk&Ven_HP&Prod_v100w&Rev_4096\IQV309IDZ8QVNQFJ&0\Device Parameters
Icons [REG_MULTI_SZ] = %SystemRoot%\system32\icon.ico

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
\PerHwIdStorage\USBSTOR#DiskHP______v100w___________4096
Icons [REG_MULTI_SZ] = %SystemRoot%\system32\icon.ico

Where 'DiskHP______v100w___________4096' is the storge's hardware
ID.

I also modify above 2 key separately, and they both don't work.
It seems if I modify registry key associated with USBSTOR, it will
be no effect.

Does anyone know how to specify defferrnt icon for 2 disks in a USB
storage device?
Any suggestion is highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Best Regard,
Gordon

gfage...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2017, 10:07:00 AM4/16/17
I am also having problem with setting individual drive icons for my USB Multi Card Readers with multiple LUNs.
I wonder if the option has been all together removed?
I've seen it work in vista, but not in win7,8 and 10.
I am able to change all the driveicons for the USB-device,
but as above the USBSTOR part in the registry won't let you change the icons.
Does anyone have a working solution that will set drive-icons without doing a autorun.inf for all the cards?

gfage...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2017, 10:12:39 AM4/16/17
The USB card reader is from Alcor.
It has a program called: AmIcoSinglun64.exe
With icons in a file called: AmRdrIco.icl
But the device-driver that is supposed to work with windows 10
Does not seem to work.
It is running in the background, but seem to do nothing.