list's tools.ini

Gisle Vanem

Aug 10, 2004, 7:25:05 AM8/10/04
The list.exe program is IMHO the single most valuable program
in the "Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit Support Tools".

Allthough it has it's quirks, I use it every day.

The helpscreen (F1) indicates that settings like tab-width and colours
can be entered in tools.ini, but I cannot get that to work. I created a
tools.ini in the directory of list.exe (f:\programfiler\RKtools\) and added
this:
[list]
tab 4
tcolor 22

It doesn't take effect. Where is tools.ini supposed to be located?
I couldn't find *any* documentation for list in the package.

PS. Anybody knows a better (free) replacement for this file-viewer?
I've tried "less" and John E. Davis' "most", but I found those a bit too
cryptic and they don't support the mouse-wheel. I'm looking for something
that is more similar to Vernon D. Buerg's original list for DOS.

--gv

eric.n...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2014, 2:22:14 AM7/17/14
On Tuesday, August 10, 2004 4:25:05 AM UTC-7, Gisle Vanem wrote:
> The list.exe program is IMHO the single most valuable program
> in the "Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit Support Tools".
>
> Allthough it has it's quirks, I use it every day.
>
> The helpscreen (F1) indicates that settings like tab-width and colours
> can be entered in tools.ini, but I cannot get that to work. I created a
> tools.ini in the directory of list.exe (f:\programfiler\RKtools\) and added
> this:
> [list]
> tab 4
> tcolor 22
>
> It doesn't take effect. Where is tools.ini supposed to be located?
> I couldn't find *any* documentation for list in the package.

Put tools.ini in C:\INIT. Then "set INIT=C:\INIT". Viola.