IThumbnailProvider and IStream object

127 views
Skip to first unread message

philippe carret

unread,
Nov 6, 2010, 6:40:57 PM11/6/10
to
I'm trying to implement IThumbnailProvider with difficulties.
One of the main problem is IThumbnailProvider is working with IStream
and no more with file path

MS document says :
The object that implements this interface must also implement one of
the following interfaces.:

IInitializeWithStream. works
IInitializeWithItem (not working)
IInitializeWithFile (not working)

But because of specific needs, I need the full path to retrieve the
thumbnail of the file not an IStream
MS document says :
IStream "stat" contains pwcsName but it's not the full path just
filename

Any help ?
I could probably recreate a temp file to read the bitmap but sometime
file are 100 MB !
It would cost a lot of timùe just for thumbnails ...

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RT

unread,
Apr 2, 2012, 6:00:44 AM4/2/12
to
Hi,

I am too facing a similar issue. how did you rectify it if you have got the method to retrieve full path

> On Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:40 PM philippe carret wrote:

> I am trying to implement IThumbnailProvider with difficulties.
> One of the main problem is IThumbnailProvider is working with IStream
> and no more with file path
>
> MS document says :
> The object that implements this interface must also implement one of
> the following interfaces.:
>
> IInitializeWithStream. works
> IInitializeWithItem (not working)
> IInitializeWithFile (not working)
>
> But because of specific needs, I need the full path to retrieve the
> thumbnail of the file not an IStream
> MS document says :
> IStream "stat" contains pwcsName but it is not the full path just
> filename
>
> Any help ?
> I could probably recreate a temp file to read the bitmap but sometime
> file are 100 MB !
> It would cost a lot of tim=F9e just for thumbnails ...


>> On Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:30 AM Manuel Jouglet Marcus wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>>
>>
>> I got the same problem and I can't find a way to make the IThumbnailProvider to call the Initialize method of IInitializeWithFile or IInitializeWithItem.
>>
>>
>>
>> It seems that Win7 changes the implementation, and there is no more way to get the file path of the calling item.
>>
>>
>>
>> This is problematical when reading the file involves to access to some other files.
>>
>>
>>
>> I had no problem to implement IInitializeWithFile with the IPreviewHandler, so I guess this is really a IThumbnailProvider change.
>>
>>
>>
>> Any ideas of a workaround ?
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Manuel


>>> On Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:31 AM Manuel Jouglet Marcus wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I got the same problem and I can't find a way to make the IThumbnailProvider to call the Initialize method of IInitializeWithFile or IInitializeWithItem.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> It seems that Win7 changes the implementation, and there is no more way to get the file path of the calling item.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> This is problematical when reading the file involves to access to some other files.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I had no problem to implement IInitializeWithFile with the IPreviewHandler, so I guess this is really a IThumbnailProvider change.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Any ideas of a workaround ?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Manuel


>>>> On Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:32 AM Manuel Jouglet Marcus wrote:

>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I got the same problem and I can't find a way to make the IThumbnailProvider to call the Initialize method of IInitializeWithFile or IInitializeWithItem.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It seems that Win7 changes the implementation, and there is no more way to get the file path of the calling item.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> This is problematical when reading the file involves to access to some other files.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I had no problem to implement IInitializeWithFile with the IPreviewHandler, so I guess this is really a IThumbnailProvider change.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Any ideas of a workaround ?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Manuel



Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
Message has been deleted
0 new messages