Multiple IPs on single NIC and multiple VLANs

Rodel Miguel

Apr 2, 2008, 2:03:39 AM4/2/08
Hi Gurus,

I need your help in providing multiple IP addresses with a single NIC. The
IP addresses should be obtained dynamically (DHCP) but they would be
obtained from different networks, e.g. two VLANs.

How should I do this? Should I create two instances of the same miniport
driver? Or my driver should be able to handle packets from two different
VLANs and then send it to the proper handler on the higher layers? Please
point me to the proper links if the solution is already available.

I'm sorry if this has been asked on this group before.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards,
- Rodel Miguel

Sainath , SMB KID

Apr 4, 2008, 2:14:00 AM4/4/08
Hi Rodel ,

can you please tell me about your set up .

As per my understanding

a) cmputer having 2 NIC cards on single computer

b) you have to connect these 2 NIC cards to different subnet range / 2
differnt switch port

c) Configure DHCP server on both subnets , you problem resolve

or

a) Single computer with 2 NIC cards,

b) Need ip address from single DHCP server , if so you can create a Super
scope where in it leases out logical ip address with in the single physical
subnet.

just have a search on super scope and it will give your answer

Regards,
sai

Rodel Miguel

Apr 7, 2008, 10:13:49 PM4/7/08
Hi Sainath,

My setup is
- 1 computer 1 NIC
- 2 VLANs on the same NIC
- 1 IP address per VLAN via DHCP

Thanks for your help!

- Rodel

"Sainath , SMB KID" <Sainat...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:018FE67E-D062-493F...@microsoft.com...

Sainath , SMB KID

Apr 16, 2008, 6:41:00 AM4/16/08
Hi Rodel ,

Thanks for the informatino and sory for delayed response.

You have 2 VLAN NIC configured on same server ?, or do we have 2 virtual
NIC's installed ? is my question .

if we have 2 virtual NIC ( for example in VMWARE you can configure 2 virtual
NIC , then it is possible for us to point these NIC to VLAN which you have
configured either through DHCP or CISCO

queston
=======

a) how is your VLAN configured
b) are you using CISCO or MS dhcp server for VLAN configuration ? because as
far as my knowledge goes, we can only configure VLAN on cisco ( any other
3rdparty vendor ) hardware

c) do you have 3 NIC configured on your client ?

sai
smb kid

Sainath , SMB KID

Apr 16, 2008, 7:05:01 AM4/16/08
Hi Rodel,

thanks for the update,

The only thing i could say is that you can only configure VLAN either with
cisco ( any 3rd party hardware ) / Microsoft DHCP server using super scope
option .

a) So can you please tell me how you have configured your VLAN ?

b) How many NIC's are present on your client ( windows client )

for a single NIC i dont think it is possible for DHCP to issue multiple IP
address , but if u want to access different network trying adding persistan
route and check ?

sai

For the queston below ( initial ) a client can obtain multiple ip addresses
from VLAN withs

Ben Voigt [C++ MVP]

Apr 22, 2008, 11:45:43 AM4/22/08
Rodel Miguel wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> I need your help in providing multiple IP addresses with a single
> NIC. The IP addresses should be obtained dynamically (DHCP) but they
> would be obtained from different networks, e.g. two VLANs.
>
> How should I do this? Should I create two instances of the same
> miniport driver? Or my driver should be able to handle packets from
> two different VLANs and then send it to the proper handler on the
> higher layers? Please point me to the proper links if the solution
> is already available.

Short answer -- use an OS with VLAN support. Windows, even server versions,
doesn't have a clue about VLANs and won't transmit with VLAN tags. Many
drivers allow you to set a VLAN tag (just one) that is added to all outgoing
packets.

If you are the driver developer, you can probably work around this by
creating a VLAN bus enumerator and multiple NIC drivers, one attached to
each VLAN id. This is more or less what other operating systems with vlan
support do (i.e. linux) except they provide a generic vlan driver that does
this for any ethernet card.

There's essentially no hope for an enduser to add multiple instances of the
miniport driver with a single card, you'd need a bus driver to synchronize
use of the shared resource.

cs24b...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2014, 1:47:29 AM4/1/14
I need ur help I am using solaris zones to create the virtual host. As i am using solaris on vmware and created two virtual hosts and want to give each host a unique vlan id.
Sytem Configuration
1 nic interface
2 zones configured on the virtual nic