Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

1 view

Pavel A.

Aug 31, 2010, 9:29:04 PM8/31/10
Why the vclanguage forum, why not microsoft.en-us.kernel?

-- pa

<nn...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> What is Happening?
> This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
> newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
>
> Why?
> As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
> traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
> past several years while customers and participants are increasingly
> finding
> solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.
> This
> move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it
> easier
> for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies
> and
> make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
> improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
> management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging
> healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft
> will
> begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
> and discontinue support for newsgroups.
>
> In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
> users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
> newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
> which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
> forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP
> reader
> functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up
> the
> NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/
>
> Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
> All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
> October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased
> approach,
> starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>
> When will this Happen?
> Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
>
> Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
> In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
> scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
> you to participate at
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/threads forum(s).
> An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
> Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx
>
> Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
> Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
> NN...@microsoft.com

Hector Santos

Sep 1, 2010, 12:08:33 AM9/1/10
Probably because the last two people to post there was you and I back
in May 15, 2010. :)

But yeah, very odd isn't it?

HLS

Don Burn

Sep 1, 2010, 10:06:18 AM9/1/10
I'd probably still go with microsoft.en-us.kernel. I am sure the people
who are migrating the newsgroups are trying but there have been a number
of misdirection's. I am curious to see where they suggest people go
for
microsoft.public.development.device.drivers and microsoft.public.windbg.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

"Hector Santos" <sant...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

Nobody

Sep 1, 2010, 11:12:58 AM9/1/10
<nn...@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.

No it wouldn't. Thanks to usenet distributed environment, many usenet
servers will not honor "rmgroup" request. So this group will live on
forever, like the groups that you already closed but they are still alive in
other servers. To access this group today, or even after it's "closed",
click on this link:

The above news server is free and doesn't require registration, but have
some limitations. See here:

http://aioe.org/

Quote: "Each IP address is authorized to post 25 messages per day and the
posting rights are suspended for 24 hours if more than three messages are
rejected in a day. Each post must be sent to less than four groups
(crosspost) and each one can include at most three followup groups. Maximum
allowed size is 32 KB per article and 2 KB per header. Only two concurrent
connections per IP address are allowed and 400 connections per day are
accepted from each IP address."

Boba

Sep 1, 2010, 2:56:25 PM9/1/10
Thank you, Nobody, for the link. Boba TC.

Hector Santos

Sep 1, 2010, 4:59:44 PM9/1/10

Don Burn wrote:
> I'd probably still go with microsoft.en-us.kernel. I am sure the people
> who are migrating the newsgroups are trying but there have been a number
> of misdirection's. I am curious to see where they suggest people go for
> microsoft.public.development.device.drivers and microsoft.public.windbg.

What I did to help here using the Wildcat! Live Exchange NNTP Bridge
(no plug intended)

http://opensite.winserver.com/wclex

was to have a Search field for the Forum description to get the
virtual news groups names. So searching for:

drivers:

give us

answers.en-US.vistahardware
msdn.en-US.embeddedwindowscomponents

Searching for: debug

msdn.en-US.clr
msdg.en-US.netfxtoolsdev
msdg.en-US.vbide
msdg.en-US.vcgeneral
msdg.en-US.vsdebug
msdg.en-US.vside2008
msdg.en-US.vstsdb

there are some frend, portuguese and chinese forums as well. :)

HLS

Hector Santos

Sep 1, 2010, 5:05:54 PM9/1/10
Searching for "device" give me a much of "device" related forums,
including probably relevant ones:

answers.en-US.w7hardware
answers.en-US.windowsmobileactivesync
answers.en-US.wlsync
answers.en-US.xphardware

and other relevant ones in Asian languages.

--
WCLEX - NNTP Bridge for PROFESSIONALS :)
http://opensite.winserver.com/wclex

Nobody

Sep 1, 2010, 5:24:01 PM9/1/10
"Boba" <Bo...@somewhere.net> wrote in message

> Thank you, Nobody, for the link. Boba TC.

You're welcome. I forgot to mention that Google would still archive this
group. MS already deleted several groups, and I can still see new posts in
Google Groups!

Don Burn

Sep 1, 2010, 6:56:14 PM9/1/10
Well those have nothing to do with development, so hopefully no one will
be foolish enough to think they are where to go for
microsoft.public.development.device.drivers. I know the community
reacted strongly when the forum approach was first announced.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

"Hector Santos" <sant...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

Hector Santos

Sep 2, 2010, 12:34:38 AM9/2/10
No doubt. Its really sad that its going down this way. Its all the
control and BI leveraging factor now. :)

--
HLS

RossettoeCioccolato

Sep 3, 2010, 1:50:08 AM9/3/10

Thanks nobody. news.aloe.org works nicely.

Regards,

George.

Chris Becke

Sep 3, 2010, 4:25:15 AM9/3/10
On 01/09/2010 03:29, Pavel A. wrote:
> Why the vclanguage forum, why not microsoft.en-us.kernel?

A tactit admission that the forum approach has failed and the only forum
getting any significant traffic is vclangauge?

Leo Davidson

Sep 3, 2010, 9:57:16 AM9/3/10

I've got no problem with using a web forum instead of usenet but,
yeah, moving this Win32 group into the vclanguage forum is a mistake.

Any Win32 questions will be lost in the noise of people asking about
why their code won't compile etc.

Not that people shouldn't be asking those questions as well, but I'm
only interested in one set and don't want to wade through the other. I
imagine I'm not alone and thus if I have a Win32 question it's less
likely to be answered by other people now. Microsoft themselves rarely
give worthwhile answers/support so I don't particularly care where the
"official" discussion place is; I care where the interesting and
helpful discussions are.

Pavel A.

Sep 3, 2010, 6:04:46 PM9/3/10
I've found answer to my own question:
the microsoft.en-us.kernel forum belongs to the Windows academic kernel
community:
"Questions & Answers regarding the Windows Research Kernel, its
architecture, source code and use in teaching and research"

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kernel/threads

Can we hijack it? :)

--pa

"Pavel A." <pav...@12fastmail34.fm> wrote in message

Pavel A.

Sep 4, 2010, 9:15:39 PM9/4/10
Why we cannot send email to NN...@microsoft.com ?
Better someone with MVP or other decorations?

Just explain them that this NG has very little in common with VC++ and
covers quite different interesting topics such as:

low-level native Windows development,
processes, threads, services
I/O and devices
OS and kernel internals
somewhat security
application compatibility and deployment issues.

From their POV this forum even can belong to Technet, not MSDN.

Regards,
-- pa