Keyboard Layout Creator fails (cl.exe returned 1)

Patrick Philippot

Jun 14, 2004, 8:04:59 AM6/14/04

I have created a layout with MSKLC but after a succeeded validation the
compilation process fails:

cl.exe returned 1
rc.exe returned 1
link.exe returned 1

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

--
Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP [.Net]
MainSoft Consulting Services

Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]

Jun 14, 2004, 9:01:24 AM6/14/04
Hmmm.... what version of MSKLC?

If its the latest version (just put up within a month or so), then can you
send the .KLC file of the layout that repros the problem to
mic...@trigeminal.com?

--
MichKa [MS]
NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Patrick Philippot" <patrick....@mainsoft.xx> wrote in message

Patrick Philippot

Jun 14, 2004, 9:21:49 AM6/14/04
Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS] wrote:
> Hmmm.... what version of MSKLC?
>
> If its the latest version (just put up within a month or so), then
> can you send the .KLC file of the layout that repros the problem to
> mic...@trigeminal.com?

I'm using the latest. I just sent the keyboard to your maibox file but
I don't think it's tied to the keyboard file itself. I tried with
multiple layouts.

Thanks.

Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]

Jun 14, 2004, 9:51:33 AM6/14/04
Yep, got it. But I cannot repro the problem....

Out of curiousity, what is your user locale? I would not expect this to make
a difference but we do use the C runtime and one never knows what it will
do, right?

--
MichKa [MS]
NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Patrick Philippot" <patrick....@mainsoft.xx> wrote in message

Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]

Jun 14, 2004, 10:25:40 AM6/14/04
Ok, we found out the problem (well, Patrick put in most of the skull sweat!
<grin>).

The problem is on a system with 8.3 file names (aka short file names)
disabled -- since the default install dir is in "Program Files" and has
other spaces in the app dir, the tool converts to short file names for the
compile, which obviously fails when short file names are disabled. The
workaround would be to install MSKLC to a directory that does not have
spaces in the path.

--
MichKa [MS]
NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]" <mic...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:#qIJ4ahU...@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

abdelouah...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2014, 3:24:43 PM7/7/14
hello i have the same problem can u show me how to fix. thanks

jkooten.zig...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2015, 9:37:46 AM2/9/15
I tried to find out whether my system (Win 8) had 8.3 names disabled or not but could not find it. Turns out it was a lot faster to simply copy the contents of the MSKLC folder into a folder without spaces or long names (I used C:\keys\msklc) and run msklc.exe from there. Now it works. (I am going to uninstall the installed version of MSKLC so double clicking on a KLC file doesn't open the installed version.)

For an official MS product I think this is rather shameful.

etr...@googlemail.com

Aug 18, 2015, 6:13:34 PM8/18/15
Hello,

Display of fonts with glyphs of Unicode ranges from hex-10000 upwards.
(Example glyphs of Unicode ranges from hex-10b00 to hex-10b3f (Avestan)
and from hex-10b78 to hex-10b7f (Inscriptional Pahlavi))

They are not displayed correctly in Microsoft features like Word or managed in Keyboard Layout Creator?
cf:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/goglobal/bb964665.aspx

In Unicode Code Unicode 6.0.0_6.1_6.2_6.3_7.0.0-8.0 there are many glyphs from ranges hex-10000 (Linear B Syllabary)
up to hex-e01ef (Variation Selectors Supplement).

As far as I can see the above mentioned problems are not yet solved neither in Windows 8.1
nor in the newest version of Windows 10.

What's the matter? Why these difficulties with these Unicode Code ranges?

Does Office 365 or Office 2016 support these above described Unicode ranges ?
E.g. Keyboards for Avestan, Inscriptional Pahlavi, Linear B Syllabary and so on?

Until today - since some years ago - I'm still waiting getting these problems being solved in Microsoft's features, but how and when?

Regards,
Ernst Tremel

gabelo...@hotmail.com

Sep 29, 2015, 10:49:41 AM9/29/15
I agree as well; quite shameful indeed

whaefe...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2017, 9:58:06 AM7/21/17
2017 - problem still exists MKLC 1.4 and Windows 7 (Enterprise).

whaefe...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2017, 10:08:16 AM7/21/17
Ok, the rather obvious workaround is to install MSKLC into a custom folder having no blanks, i.e. something like c:\msklc.

Doing so, everything works as expected.

j.poto...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2018, 7:18:55 PM1/10/18
After trying and trying I found this chain-mail and finally I'm able to install the keyboard, Thank you very much!

gis...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2018, 5:35:48 AM1/25/18
Indeed, it works now.

My MSKLC was not even installed in the Programmes folder but in « My Documents », in the same folder together with the keyboards.

Moved it to « C:\ » and then everything perfect.

Thank you everyone !

henriqu...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2018, 3:47:56 PM12/21/18
That helped me today, was trying to have this working for a long time.
Thanks!

apresy...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2020, 8:38:12 AM4/8/20
I just here to say thank from 2020

veszel...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2020, 7:30:49 AM4/26/20
Yess, thanks a lot for clearing it up! To summarize the fix, I just had to move the app from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mincrosoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4" to "C:\msklc14" (as Administrator). Works like a charm, no reinstall was needed.

Damian Pavlovski

Dec 15, 2020, 1:12:41 AM12/15/20
Hi. I installed it in the C: folder but it shows the same mistake. Am I doing something wrong? Any help?

Samuel Lo

Mar 8, 2022, 7:10:59 AM3/8/22
I have the same issue after installing it in C:\

Yogesh Malviya

Mar 30, 2022, 12:11:04 PM3/30/22
The problem still exists in 2022. Microsoft, you should be ashamed.