How can I install a new locale / keyboard layout in the language b

Stefan Webb

Dec 8, 2004, 1:29:02 AM12/8/04
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible for a program to install a new language
and keyboard layout that will appear in the language bar, for example, Hindi
with a US keyboard layout. Usually you'd do this through the "Regional and
Language Options" in the Control Panel, but I need to do this automatically
through a program. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]

Dec 8, 2004, 4:11:21 AM12/8/04
See the info at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289125

The keyboard string would be:

0439:00000409

(the first number is the LANGID for Hindi, the second is the KLID for the
basic US keyboard layout.

--
MichKa [MS]
NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Technical Lead

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Stefan Webb" <Stefa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Stefan Webb

Dec 11, 2004, 8:39:16 AM12/11/04
Thanks for the help Michka. I followed the info at the address you gave and
created an answer file and a bat file as follows:

(regopts.txt)
[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=5
InputLocale=044F:00000409

(installtsf.bat)
rundll32.exe shell32,Control_RunDLL intl.cpl,,/f:"c:\regopts.txt"

When I run installtsf.bat it installs the Sanskrit locale with US keyboard
layout, but it also installs an English (United States) with US keyboard too.
My default locale was English (Australia) with US keyboard, but after I run
the file it becomes English (United States). Is this a bug or is my answer
file incorrect? If it is a bug, how could I uninstall the English (United
States) locale automatically? Thanks.

Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]

Dec 11, 2004, 11:37:44 AM12/11/04
Yes, this addition is a bug. The only workaround I know of is to do an
UnloadKeyboardLayout call, but make sure you have the right HKL befor you do
that.

In the end, its better to work through the UI if you can, because solid API
support is not yet there, in either intl.cpl of the USER subsystem.