Japanese application on Windows NT English (US) ver. 4.0

Arie Moran

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

I want to use multi language support (Japanese) on English version of
Windows NT 4.0
Development under Visual C++ 5.0
1. Visual C++ 5.0 does not support Japanese language in the Application
Wizard.
2. First of all i have copied appwzjpn.dll and MFC Application wizard now
support Japanese language.
3. I have added a Japanese 932 code page support in two steps:
3.1 Copy of c_932.nls file from visual C++ ver 5.0
f:\devstudio\vc\codepage\winnt directory To c:\winnt\system32 directory
3.2 Add by regedit a name = “932” value=”c_932.nls” in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
under CodePage
4. Now I can compile and build the application
5. But when I run the application I see an unprintable names in the menu.
The main question is: Could I run Japanese application on windows NT 4.0
English version
and how could I solve the problem ??
Regards.
Arie Moran amo...@tsk.co.il

Olaf Ulrich

Dec 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/16/97

The problem probably is that your application doesn't actually
make use of a Japanese font. Does the problem arise with menu
items only or with dialog texts and with text output into the
windows' client areas also?

Make sure that you have selected Japanese as the resources'
language in the project settings. Japanese should be available in
the list of languages to choose from after you installed the
japanese NLS.

Using a text editor, take a look into your .RC file. Near the
beginning, it should contain a section which looks like this:

// Japanese resources

#if !defined(AFX_RESOURCE_DLL) || defined(AFX_TARG_JAP)
#ifdef _WIN32
LANGUAGE LANG_JAPANESE, SUBLANG_JAPANESE
#pragma code_page(932)
#endif //_WIN32

Don't forget the "3 TEXTINCLUDE DISCARDABLE" section! It must
match the above.

Furthermore, all dialog resources should have japanese fonts
assgined to them. On an english system, they usually contain
the line:

FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"

Change it manually to a japanese font's name if neccessary. The
digit 8 stands for the font's size.

When doing text output to a device context, make sure NOT to use
the system font. Instead, create a japanese GDI font object and
select it into your DC (Win32-API functions CreateFont and
SelectObject).

Hope this helps,
Olaf
--