ANN: DirectX 9.0c Summer 2004 SDK

The March Hare (MVP)

Jul 27, 2004, 12:52:01 AM7/27/04
Below are some details about the new SDK. There's not much that has
changed in DirectShow. Be forewarned, one big difference is that the build
files for the baseclasses and samples are *only* provided for VS.NET 2003.
You will also need an up-to-date Platform SDK. I got my app to compile and
link with VS6SP5 but it was a PITA. I ended up switching to VS.NET 2003.
At least this addresses the problems others were having building with 9.0b
and VS.NET 2003.

===

The DirectX® Team is pleased to announce the final release of DirectX 9.0
SDK Update (Summer 2004)!

The DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (Summer 2004) contains updated versions of the
D3DX library, graphics samples, sample framework, tools and Managed DirectX
documentation. Areas of concentration in the DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (Summer
2004) release are:
- HLSL support for Pixel Shader & Vertex Shader 3.0
- Effects Framework performance improvements
- Pre computed Radiance Transfer improvements
- New Sample framework
- New & Updated Samples
- Improved Documentation
- PIX tool for better debugging of Direct3D applications
- Introduction of the Preview Pipeline for easier content creation

For information on what is supported in shader model 3.0, refer to the
updated DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (Summer 2004) reference documentation. You
can install the final releases from the below locations.

Release Notes
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6CDFCCD3-6EFF-456E-AE90-E424105AB69E&displaylang=en

Software Developer Kit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FD044A42-9912-42A3-9A9E-D857199F888E&displaylang=en

Extras
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=736585E1-10F0-4E85-B940-828CBA9971F1&displaylang=en

Symbols
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E29FC2D5-C20C-444F-A956-AC318C42433C&displaylang=en

DirectX9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers - Multilingual
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en

Jeremy Noring

Jul 27, 2004, 10:01:08 AM7/27/04
Not quite the update I was hoping for, at least with respect to DirectShow.
The Performance Investigator for DirectX (PIX) looks interesting, but I
don't know how much realistic benefit I'll see using it.
For the most part it looks like dshow hasn't seen any sort of additions.

Looks like I'll start waiting for dx10 now. *sigh*

--
Where am I going?
And why am I in this handbasket?

Chris P. [MVP]

Jul 27, 2004, 10:13:06 AM7/27/04
The March Hare (MVP) wrote:
> Below are some details about the new SDK. There's not much that has
> changed in DirectShow. Be forewarned, one big difference is that the
> build files for the baseclasses and samples are *only* provided for
> VS.NET 2003. You will also need an up-to-date Platform SDK. I got my
> app to compile and link with VS6SP5 but it was a PITA. I ended up
> switching to VS.NET 2003. At least this addresses the problems others
> were having building with 9.0b and VS.NET 2003.

Personally I think pushing everyone towards VS.NET 2003 is a mistake. How
hard was it to have the samples build in both environments as before? I
wouldn't mind if there were *some* 2003 specific samples, but making it 2003
exclusive is unnecessary.

The March Hare (MVP)

Jul 27, 2004, 10:38:18 AM7/27/04
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:13:06 -0400, Chris P. [MVP] wrote:

> Personally I think pushing everyone towards VS.NET 2003 is a mistake.

... but not to the MSFT marketing dept <g>

> How
> hard was it to have the samples build in both environments as before?

Some of the pain is that DS used to have its own basetsd.h which has some
conflicts with the one in the Platform SDK. I created a dx90b_basetsd.h in
my VS6 project to get the 9.0c to compile and still had to do some minor
tweaks. IIRC, I also had to fiddle a bit (or two) to get the baseclasses
to compile in VS6.

> wouldn't mind if there were *some* 2003 specific samples, but making it 2003
> exclusive is unnecessary.

I agree and I'm sure we'll see questions about this here.

--
1. If there are questions above, please answer them in-line. In any case,
don't top post. (Otherwise, don't expect a followup) See

Gabest

Jul 27, 2004, 3:11:43 PM7/27/04
> Below are some details about the new SDK. There's not much that has
> changed in DirectShow. Be forewarned, one big difference is that the
build
> files for the baseclasses and samples are *only* provided for VS.NET 2003.

This is pretty strange, all project files were saved by vs2002 in my
installation of the new sdk, and so vs2003 wants to convert them upon
opening.

Chris P. [MVP]

Jul 27, 2004, 4:09:33 PM7/27/04

Are you looking at the 9.0b or 9.0c SDK?

Gabest

Jul 28, 2004, 12:55:02 PM7/28/04
> Are you looking at the 9.0b or 9.0c SDK?

I have just installed it, right after the announcement was made here. The
directory name says: "Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2004)", and here are
the first few lines from the first sample I clicked on, others look similar.
I guess "7.00" means vs.net 2002, because 2003 would put "8.00" there.

snl:

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 7.00
Project("{8BC9CEB8-8B4A-11D0-8D11-00A0C91BC942}") = "BasicHLSL",
"BasicHLSL.vcproj", "{9C04CC2D-C188-4443-A185-CB0BCA6ED98D}"

proj:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding = "Windows-1252"?>
<VisualStudioProject
ProjectType="Visual C++"
Version="7.00"
Name="BasicHLSL"
ProjectGUID="{9C04CC2D-C188-4443-A185-CB0BCA6ED98D}"

Gabest

Jul 28, 2004, 1:02:31 PM7/28/04
> I guess "7.00" means vs.net 2002, because 2003 would put "8.00" there.

Just verified it with vs.net 2003: .sln: 8.00 / .proj: 7.10

Chris P. [MVP]

Jul 28, 2004, 2:58:54 PM7/28/04

Ok, thanks.

rhi...@gmail.com