Detecting program compatilbility settings in Vista

Alistair Imrie

Dec 9, 2008, 10:49:01 AM12/9/08

I have written a bootstrapper program (C++, Win32) for controlling the
installation of our application. The application requires .NET 2.0 SP1. We
ship the redistributable installer for this edition of .NET, and my
bootstrapper detects whether to run this .NET installer or not. On Vista,
this .NET installer is incompatible: the only way Vista users can get .NET
2.0 SP1 is to update to SP1 for Vista. My bootstrapper detects this
situation, and will not launch the .NET installer on Vista, instead informing
the user they must update to Vista SP1.
However, if a user cancels out of my bootstrapper on Vista, the Program
Compatibility Assistant pops up, luring unsuspecting users to click on
"Reinstall using recommended settings". If a user does this, my bootstrapper
is then misled into thinking it is running on XP SP2 (via the GetVersionEx
function). This results in a launch of the .NET 2.0 SP1 installer
inappropriately, ending in total failure.
It appears that I am in a situation not considered by the designers of
Vista: my bootstrapper normally behaves perfectly correctly in Vista, yet it
seems I cannot prevent a naïve user imposing “compatibility” settings that
result in total failure.
Any suggestions, anyone?

Alistair Imrie

Dec 9, 2008, 11:01:02 AM12/9/08

Sorry, off topic. I re-posted in microsoft.public.deployment.app_compatibility