W2K fails to tell you why USB stick "cannot be stopped right now".

bao...@my-deja.com

Mar 1, 2008, 9:06:30 PM3/1/08
I think I have a defective PC, or BIOS, or something, because my USB
stick frequently drops offline during use.

Now I admit, I bought my system at Tony's Pizza 'N PCs. It only has
USB-1. And its motherboard flew back to the US with Nixon after his
first visit to China.

The stick's mfr. says it doesn't require a driver in Windows 2000.

So when the stick goes south, I simply double-click on that handy
System Tray icon that comprises a green arrow and some little gray
object beneath it. (I can't make out what the hell it is.)

Using the dialog that launches, I simply dismount the stick,
physically detach it, insert it again, and keep working.

However, on occasion, Windows says the stick "cannot be stopped right
now. Have a nice day."

Tell you *why* the stick can't be "stopped"? Identify the process
*preventing* it from being removed?

Would someone *please* tell me that in newer versions of Windows,
Microflot has improved that error message to ID the offending process,
and/or provide an explanation...?

Thanks.

***