How to stop "[SPAM]" from being inserted in subject line?

Sammy bin Snoozin

Dec 1, 2007, 1:35:17 AM12/1/07
A lot of my normal, legitimate incoming email now has the word "SPAM" inserted in the subject line.... like this example...

Subject: SPAM:: Re: Next Tuesday Meeting Postponed

I don't want "SPAM" to appear in any email subject lines -- whether it is spam or not.

I am using verizon ISP and Outlook Express 6.0. Is this something that can be set in OE, Verizon or somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Ron Sommer

Dec 1, 2007, 5:26:33 AM12/1/07
OE will not add words to the subject line.
Look else where.
Verizon, spam program, etc.
--
Ronald Sommer

"Sammy bin Snoozin" <SammyBi...@REyahooMOVE.com> wrote in message

Michael C.

Dec 1, 2007, 1:07:58 PM12/1/07
["Followup-To:" header set to microsoft.public.win2000.]

You only have direct control if it is your mailserver, there may be a
setting on your verizon account for the mail you receive, but
generally an email passes through several machines before it gets to
its recipient, any of which may be running a spam filter, antivirus,
etc which may rewrite mail.

A common rule for filters is checking for multiple recipients or
common words. Other common rules may be invalid subject/sender,
mention of certain male enhancement products in the subject/body,
messages with headers/content similar to messages output by spambots,
all messages from a particular user/server, etc. There is no magic
solution, if there were the whole excercise would be pointless, since
everyone would include the magic header.

If you review the headers of your email (received) it should tell you
about any filtering. If you can't decipher it yourself, you may want
to post a copy, you may want to redact usernames in emails and remove
private info. Don't remove emails or links, just change from
mjcha...@verizon.net to nob...@verizon.net or
http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/ to http://nobody.nowhere.invalid/.

HTH,

Michael C.
--
mjcha...@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

The most valuable gift you can give to another is a good example.

Guv Bob

Apr 26, 2011, 11:03:34 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.win2000,
Thanks, guys. You helped me I narrow it down... =20

There is no anti-spam software running on my computer and OE6 looks =
fine. Also Verizon says 'no spam filter'.

I looked at the headers on an email marked "SPAM" and see the following =
- this is common for all such emails...

(clamdscan: 0.88/1245. spamassassin: 3.1.0. perlscan: 1.25st. Clear:RC:1
(127.0.0.1):SA:1(5.4/5.0):. Processed in 6.784545 secs); Fri,
30 Nov 2007 22:10:10 +0000

So I logged on to my host control panel (ipower)...

Under email, these are the settings:

spam filtering - off
tag message as spam - off

Under server info, I see that SpamAssassin modules are installed. =
That's as far as I can get. Sounds to me like this is the culprit, but =
I could not find any way to turn SpamAssasin off.

Copied from the panel...

perl version
perl, v5.8.3

installed perl modules:

Mail::SpamAssassin
Mail::SpamAssassin::ArchiveIterator
Mail::SpamAssassin::AuditMessage
Mail::SpamAssassin::AutoWhitelist
Mail::SpamAssassin::Bayes
Mail::SpamAssassin::Bayes::CombineChi
Mail::SpamAssassin::Bayes::CombineNaiveBayes
Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore
Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::DBM
Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::MySQL
Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::PgSQL
Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::SDBM
Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::SQL
Mail::SpamAssassin::Client
Mail::SpamAssassin::CmdLearn
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf::LDAP
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf::Parser
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf::SQL
Mail::SpamAssassin::ConfSourceSQL
Mail::SpamAssassin::Constants
Mail::SpamAssassin::DBBasedAddrList
Mail::SpamAssassin::Dns
Mail::SpamAssassin::DnsResolver
Mail::SpamAssassin::EncappedMessage
Mail::SpamAssassin::EncappedMIME
Mail::SpamAssassin::EvalTests
Mail::SpamAssassin::HTML
Mail::SpamAssassin::Locales
Mail::SpamAssassin::Locker
Mail::SpamAssassin::Locker::Flock
Mail::SpamAssassin::Locker::UnixNFSSafe
Mail::SpamAssassin::Locker::Win32
Mail::SpamAssassin::Logger
Mail::SpamAssassin::Logger::File
Mail::SpamAssassin::Logger::Stderr
Mail::SpamAssassin::Logger::Syslog
Mail::SpamAssassin::MailingList
Mail::SpamAssassin::Message
Mail::SpamAssassin::Message::Metadata
Mail::SpamAssassin::Message::Metadata::Received
Mail::SpamAssassin::Message::Node
Mail::SpamAssassin::NetSet
Mail::SpamAssassin::NoMailAudit
Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgLearner
Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus
Mail::SpamAssassin::PersistentAddrList
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AccessDB
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AntiVirus
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AutoLearnThreshold
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AWL
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DomainKeys
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::MIMEHeader
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Pyzor
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Razor2
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayCountry
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ReplaceTags
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SpamCop
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Test
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::TextCat
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::WhiteListSubject
Mail::SpamAssassin::PluginHandler
Mail::SpamAssassin::Received
Mail::SpamAssassin::Replier
Mail::SpamAssassin::Reporter
Mail::SpamAssassin::SHA1
Mail::SpamAssassin::SpamdForkScaling
Mail::SpamAssassin::SQLBasedAddrList
Mail::SpamAssassin::SubProcBackChannel
Mail::SpamAssassin::TextCat
Mail::SpamAssassin::UnixLocker
Mail::SpamAssassin::Util
Mail::SpamAssassin::Util::DependencyInfo
Mail::SpamAssassin::Util::Progress
Mail::SpamAssassin::Util::RegistrarBoundaries
Mail::SpamAssassin::Win32Locker

---
* Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- whitehouse.hulds.com --- check it out free usenet!
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.92

AlmostBob

Apr 26, 2011, 11:03:38 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.win2000,
often the settings are buggy
turn on email spam scanning
save exit
save exit

and see if the settings stick

--
-- -- -- -- --
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://www.safer-networking.org
AVG free antivirus http://free.grisoft.com/
Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
Super Antispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/
Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.activescan.com
Panda online AntiSpyware Scan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/spyware/test/
Catalog of removal tools (1)
Catalog of removal tools (2)
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
Trouble Shooting guide to Windows http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use
Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_
"Guv Bob" <broth...@bigfootYEEEEEEEOW.com> wrote in message

Thanks, guys. You helped me I narrow it down...

There is no anti-spam software running on my computer and OE6 looks fine.

Also Verizon says 'no spam filter'.

I looked at the headers on an email marked "SPAM" and see the following -

this is common for all such emails...

(clamdscan: 0.88/1245. spamassassin: 3.1.0. perlscan: 1.25st. Clear:RC:1
(127.0.0.1):SA:1(5.4/5.0):. Processed in 6.784545 secs); Fri,
30 Nov 2007 22:10:10 +0000

So I logged on to my host control panel (ipower)...

Under email, these are the settings:

spam filtering - off
tag message as spam - off

Under server info, I see that SpamAssassin modules are installed. That's as
far as I can get. Sounds to me like this is the culprit, but I could not

Sylvia M

Dec 3, 2007, 7:59:47 PM12/3/07

"Sammy bin Snoozin" <SammyBi...@REyahooMOVE.com> wrote in message

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Highlight message.
On upper toolbar click "Message"
Select "Create rule from message"
Check: Where subject contains specific words
enter Spam
Check box for what you want to do with it, probably "delete".

HTH
Sylvia

Richard in AZ

Dec 3, 2007, 8:27:31 PM12/3/07
Sylvia. Pay Attention: The OP does not want these messages deleted, note that they are legitimate
mail, the OP wants the word "SPAM" to be not inserted.

"Sylvia M" <xxxnotx...@invalid.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Sammy bin Snoozin

Dec 11, 2007, 1:45:53 AM12/11/07
"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ONCucAqO...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> [Crosspost to OE6 newsgroup eliminated]
>
> As the others have pointed out (and as the quoted section of your reply and
> mine illustrate), I was replying to "Guv Bob", not you.
>
> But while I have your attention...

<USELESS CRAP DELETED>

Sorry.... if you can't stick to the topic of the thread, you don't have my attention! =O)

Bruce Hagen

Dec 11, 2007, 2:13:53 AM12/11/07

"Sammy bin Snoozin" <SammyBi...@REyahooMOVE.com> wrote in message

<USELESS CRAP DELETED>

Line inseted to seperate messages because the poster used Quoted Printable.

Learn how to post, and the corect newsgroups to ask a question in.

Use MIME / None, not: MIME / Quoted Printable.

Read these links.

Good Newsgroup Posts:
http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm

How to ask a newsgroup question:

How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups

Remember that everyone here is a volunter. No one works for Microsoft. If
you want their /professional/ help, contact MS Support and have your credit
card ready.

Good luck!!!
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Poprivet`

Dec 11, 2007, 11:19:20 AM12/11/07

lol, that's the best show-stopper line I've seen in
some time! Good going.

Message has been deleted

Sammy bin Snoozin

Dec 11, 2007, 3:13:54 PM12/11/07
<off topic deleted>

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Dec 11, 2007, 3:20:02 PM12/11/07
As you've been told before, it's not coming from OE. It's most likely
coming from Verizon, and you'll need to contact them.

"Sammy bin Snoozin" <SammyBi...@REyahooMOVE.com> wrote in message

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Dec 11, 2007, 10:10:52 PM12/11/07
"Sammy bin Snoozin" <SammyBi...@REyahooMOVE.com> wrote in message
<off topic deleted>

Thanks in advance.

Sam

This is coming either from Verizon or from a third party program that you
installed. It's not coming from OE. The subject is being changed before OE
sees it.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com