"Boot devices have changed"

Mail Man Bob

Aug 27, 2007, 3:59:08 AM8/27/07
Anyone have an idea how to stop this from happening?

About every 3rd time I boot, the following warning comes up and I have to hit F1 to continue. I have checked set-up several times and nothing has changed. I hit "save and exit", then the next time I boot, I get the same warning.

Message:
"Warning: The boot devices have been changed. BBS boot priority will be affected. Please enter setup to check. Hit F1 to continue, DEL for setup."

Thanks.

Bob

Mike Y

Aug 27, 2007, 7:28:25 AM8/27/07

"Mail Man Bob" <n...@where.com> wrote in message

Thanks.

Bob

Could your CMOS battery backup need replaced?

Mail Man Bob

Aug 28, 2007, 3:00:44 AM8/28/07

"Mike Y" <j...@user.com> wrote in message news:uAyAi.2$fc...@newsfe04.lga...

It's probably OK - the computer is less than 2 years old. The time and date always come up OK on boot.

Mike Y

Aug 28, 2007, 7:15:51 AM8/28/07

"Mail Man Bob" <n...@where.com> wrote in message

Hmm, usually time goes if anything goes. But then weirder things have
happened.

But a battery being 'new' is no guarantee.

Now, this is just 'rumor', but... Years ago when Radio Shack came
out with the HTX202 and HTX404 ham radios they needed an internal battery
for memory retention. However, when the radios were manufactuered, they
just diverted batteries to the 'parts' group at 'Radio Shack National
Parts'.

The problem was that the radios used so little power from the battery, the
life of the battery was essentially shelf life of the battery. So, when the
batteries failed, and new ones were ordered to replace them, guess how
long the 'new' replacements lasted?

Even worse, they did multiple production runs of the radios. That meant
that some buyers got radios that had batteries NEWER than the 'new'
replacements in National Parts.

Oops...

Mail Man Bob

Aug 28, 2007, 9:29:15 PM8/28/07
"Mike Y" <j...@user.com> wrote in message news:QuTAi.280$7f4...@newsfe06.lga...

Thanks. Before I swap out the battery, any ideas on what else might cause this?

Mike Y

Aug 29, 2007, 6:54:04 AM8/29/07

"Mail Man Bob" <n...@where.com> wrote in message

Well... There's a lot of things that COULD cause it, but they aren't too
likely.
Like a hardware part that is beginning to fail. Although that's pretty
rare.
The 146818A chip was the part used in the original PC-AT, but almost
immediately vendors went to integrated chips in designs that incorporated
enhanced support for the 146818 part in the chips.

One thing, I suppose it's 'possible' that there's something in software on
the machine that's causing this. I wonder... do you have any of the
utilities that 'snapshot' the CMOS? If you do, snapshot the CMOS and
save it. Then you can see actually what is changing in your CMOS.
When you get the error, there may be other issues that are masked by
the problem that you are actually seeing.

Mail Man Bob

Aug 29, 2007, 2:22:20 PM8/29/07
All righty! Will try to do this next time it hiccups. Thanks for the help.

Sammy bin Snoozin

Oct 8, 2007, 11:13:38 AM10/8/07
FYI, it's still doing this - about one time out of 4. I'll just keep hitting F1. It's an irritation though, because I would prefer to turn the PC on, walk around and do other things, then have it ready to go when I get back. Now I have to stand there and hit F1....