Office2KSR1a fails

Thomas Callaghan

Jul 18, 2009, 9:17:56 PM7/18/09
I'm using a Gateway 233PII Win 98SE w/320MB RAM & WD 40 GB HD. I've just
reformated using DG ver11 and received a good Win98SE install. I installed
W2000 Pro from a sealed 2-CD set w/ code that I paid for.
The Office 2K install installed disk 1 but did not call for disk 2. I
rebooted and installed disk 2. Everthing seems ok to this point. When I d/l
the Office2KSR1a install file and ok'd the license, this is what I got:

Microsoft Office SR-1 Update did not complete successfully.
For assistance contact Microsoft Technical Support
See the log file: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sr1patch\Office 2000 SR-1 (Setup002).txt

Can someone provide a little guidance to an old man, aside from buying a new
machine?

Sky King

Aug 1, 2009, 8:49:11 AM8/1/09
Hi, Thomas;

Did you check to see what that log file contained?

It has been a long time since I worked with Office2000, but from a quick
check at various MS KB articles, some suggestions:

1. First, download and install the MS Installer 2.0 package. Here's the
link for 2.0 (you only need the InstMSiA.exe file):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=cebbacd8-c094-4255-b702-de3bb768148f&displaylang=en

2. Next, download the standalone SR1a patch (even if you already have it,
please download a new copy):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=af6c8d03-7633-45b4-ab96-795ee656f2a2&displaylang=en

Once you have those two files, install the MSI first. Then reboot, and
insert the Office 2000 CD (1) in your CD drive (the update has to see the
DATA1 file). Now run the install for SR1a. If you get the same or similar
error message, reboot and run the SR1a install again.

Next (regardless of the outcome with that second attempt) try to install
Office 2000 SP3. If that installs OK, then I think you can proceed from
there with other updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5C011C70-47D0-4306-9FA4-8E92D36332FE&displaylang=en

I hope the above works or helps. As I said, it has been a very long time.
And, yes, I think it is time to upgrade some hardware. <G>.

--

...Sky
====

"Thomas Callaghan" <ec...@pghmail.com> wrote in message