No startup sound

1 view
Skip to first unread message

CRH

unread,
Feb 25, 2001, 9:58:51 PM2/25/01
to
Today my neighbor noticed that my Win2K does not play it's "pretty
little startup" sound. I hadn't really payed much attention.
Apparently I hadn't missed it.

I checked my sound settings and noticed that, according to my
settings, Windows is supposed to play the Windows Logon Sound.wav at
startup. It's kind of pretty and I think I would like it.

Now how do I get it to actually play? I think I remember it playing
like the first time or two that I logged on.

--
Live Long and Prosper
CRH 8^)>

Ed Lee

unread,
Feb 26, 2001, 11:47:43 PM2/26/01
to
I conclude from the tone of your message that your sound works in general .
. . and if that is the case, I think it safe to conclude that it is not a
hardware/configuration issue.

Having said that, did you by any chance install TweakUI because if you have,
that might very well be the reason.

Unfortunately, uninstalling it won't get your startup sound back. The only
way I have been able to accomplish that is by creating a new profile and/or
deleting the old one and starting all over again creating that same named
profile.

Ed

"CRH" <commandrdata@do_you_uhmmm_yahoo?.com> wrote in message
news:ulcYOA6nAHA.908@tkmsftngp02...

CRH

unread,
Feb 27, 2001, 2:18:47 AM2/27/01
to
Tweak UI you say........ Well, of course I installed Tweak
UI!..........v1.33.........I am very much laughing to myself about
this, Ed. It's hard to believe. What could Tweak UI possibly have to
do with sound settings? But with Tweak UI's sometimes dark and shady
history, I *can* believe it.

If I create a new user and then just move the folders in my old
profile to the new one would everything be peachy? I would have to do
this twice since I have two accounts, one Admin and another User. Then
I could just delete the old profiles.

--
Live Long and Prosper
CRH 8^)>

"Ed Lee" <edw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:#A4KAnHoAHA.1960@tkmsftngp05...


> I conclude from the tone of your message that your sound works in
general .

Yes, this is the case.

Ed Lee

unread,
Feb 27, 2001, 11:13:23 PM2/27/01
to
For the most part . . . yes. I definitely think that you should create a new
profile without deleting the old. That will accomplish two things. One, it
will verify or deny the theory that TweakUI is the source of the problem
because you should get the startup sound under the new profile and second,
you won't be deleting any data stored under your "old" profile.

In addition to "copying" data stored under your old profile to your new
profile, depending on the mail and news clients you use, you will have to
import your mail and news. With something like Outlook . . . importing mail
is not a problem, with something like Outlook Express, when used as a news
client, it requires some real gymnastics to get that done.

So much so, it is hardly worth the effort.

Good luck . . . ed


"CRH" <commandrdata@do_you_uhmmm_yahoo?.com> wrote in message

news:uqyBT2IoAHA.708@tkmsftngp04...

CRH

unread,
Feb 28, 2001, 2:34:39 AM2/28/01
to
Well, I got it done and have startup sound now in both accounts. I've
noticed that it cured another anomaly........ this one with OE 5.5.

OE had been exhibiting a strange phenomenon whereby when I clicked on
the Folder bar to get the pop out folders menu the menu would just
disappear as soon as I moved the mouse cursor away from the Folder bar
preventing the ability to scroll through the folders or click on the
stick pin. The phenomenon is gone in my new user profiles and the
Folder Bar works as it should - I can click on the stick pin or scroll
through the folders.

The startup sound problem and the weird folder bar phenomenon still
remains in my old Admin account. I can't delete this account because
it is the "Built-in account for administering the computer/domain".

I am totally convinced that this all had to do with the Tweak UI
installation as you hypothesized, Ed.

I think that we can elevate this hypothesis into theory now.


--
Live Long and Prosper
CRH

More below inline.

"Ed Lee" <edw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:DV_m6.706$7Y1....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net...


> For the most part . . . yes. I definitely think that you should
create a new
> profile without deleting the old. That will accomplish two things.
One, it
> will verify or deny the theory that TweakUI is the source of the
problem
> because you should get the startup sound under the new profile and
second,
> you won't be deleting any data stored under your "old" profile.
>
> In addition to "copying" data stored under your old profile to your
new
> profile, depending on the mail and news clients you use, you will
have to
> import your mail and news. With something like Outlook . . .
importing mail
> is not a problem, with something like Outlook Express, when used as
a news
> client, it requires some real gymnastics to get that done.

I've become a pro at manipulating OE registry keys, data stores and
Address book. I currently am using one data store and address book for
both of my accounts, one User and one Admin ;^).

> So much so, it is hardly worth the effort.

Could be but I'm a glutton for punishment!

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages