Re: Final Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

Tim Meddick

May 28, 2010, 5:05:07 PM5/28/10
Love the "subject line" !!

"Final Reminder...."

....sounds like an unwelcomed red-letter on the doormat!

Love the way you sought the opinions and responses of users of M$
Newsgroups - if you had put as much energy into finding out what your
(ever-fading) supporters in these groups thought, as you do with your
"corporate-style questionnaires" for "user-satisfaction", then you would
know by closing these groups with NO CONSULTATION you have [probably]
alienated a whole new section of your once-wholesome support-base!

You make me want to go buy an iPod!

All the best for your next crazy decision,...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

<nn...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> < clipped > .....message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin
> discontinuing
> newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
>
> < clipped >
> Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
>
> < clipped >

Tim Meddick

May 28, 2010, 5:17:08 PM5/28/10
Goodbye everybody!!

Sorry for my appalling "netiquette" that has been so much of a pain to
those intent on educating the rest of us...

But it has been [great] fun, all in all, and I have really enjoyed working
to help people with their IT problems, here, over the past year that I have
been using :

microsoft.public.basic.dos
microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin
microsoft.public.win95.msdosapps
microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration.manage
microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

on newsserver : msnews.microsoft.com

But no more......this is it!........goodbye.........forever!!

Klaus Meinhard

May 28, 2010, 5:41:14 PM5/28/10
Hallo Tim , and everybody else here!

> But no more......this is it!........goodbye.........forever!!

You don't need MS to conntinue using Usenet. A great free newsserver for
read/write access with all the relevant groups is Eternal September (
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html ), where you'll
have to register. The server is reached under
<news.eternal-september.org>.

Hope to se you there,

--
Best Regards,

* Klaus Meinhard *
<www.4dos.info>

Tim Meddick

May 28, 2010, 6:11:04 PM5/28/10
I do also use : "alt.msdos.batch" on server : "nntp.aioe.org" but I'm
not sure whether or not my heart's in it anymore.

I honestly feel a bit of a "kick in the face" by M$ as it goes, and even
though I am already aware of other groups that I can access with a news
client, the whole experience has put a dampener on it for me...

I will try and look into the group / server info you quoted, although, as I
said, not feeling very optimistic about it.

(If you stuck your nose in at [alt.msdos.batch] I might be tempted to
reconsider)

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

"Klaus Meinhard" <K_Mei...@gmx.de> wrote in message

John John - MVP

May 28, 2010, 8:27:42 PM5/28/10
Those other groups will still be there, Tim. If I don't see you in
another dimension I just want to tell you that I have always enjoyed
your posts in these groups. I've always anticipated your next post and
at times checked the groups were you post before any other group.
Hopefully this is just an au revoir and not an adieu.

John

Helmut Meukel

May 29, 2010, 3:44:49 AM5/29/10
When M$ shut-down their servers, the microsoft groups
will not automatically be removed from the mirror servers.
M$ never cared about the mirrors in Usenet, but there is
a self-appointed "maintainter" Juli�n �lie who sent those
control articles to the other servers. He announced he will
send rmgroup messages to the mirror servers.
*If* they are honoured, the groups will be removed from
the mirrors too.
However not all will do this:

# From: Ray Banana <ray...@banana.shacknet.nu>
# Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 04:57:13 +0200
# [...]
# Thus spake grant <sam...@example.invalid>
# [...]
# > When Juli�n �lie issues rmgroup control articles, will
# > eternal-september honour them?
#
# Given the current settings of E-S's control.ctl, no.

At least some other german news server admins stated
they will act accordingly.

Helmut.

"Tim Meddick" <timme...@o2.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

98 Guy

Jun 3, 2010, 12:20:13 AM6/3/10
Helmut Meukel wrote:

> When M$ shut-down their servers, the microsoft groups
> will not automatically be removed from the mirror servers.

There is no such thing as a "mirror" server on usenet.

> M$ never cared about the mirrors in Usenet,

Quite the opposite. Microsoft intentionally peered itself with usenet
back in 1996 so that it became part of the world-wide usenet community.
This peering enabled posts made to the microsoft.public set of groups
from any server to appear on microsoft's server and vice-versa.

And again, microsoft is not and was not the "primary" server in this
context. It is (was) a peer - an equal - with other usenet servers.

> but there is a self-appointed "maintainter" Juli�n �lie who sent

> those control articles to the other servers. He announced he will
> send rmgroup messages to the mirror servers.

> *If* they are honoured, the groups will be removed from
> the mirrors too. However not all will do this:

The admin of the aioe server apparently will honor these messages.

Microsoft deleted 500+ groups from it's server back in November last
year, and Julien did send out the corresponding control messages, and
they all seem to have been honored by AIOE. They were honored because
AIOE follows the ISC.ORG group list, which is influenced by Julien.