How to update notification area?

charles

Apr 13, 2010, 10:05:12 AM4/13/10
I need to run a batch file to start/stop a program that uses an icon in
the notification area in Windows XP. Unfortunately, the icon is not
removed automatically until the user mouses over that area on the task
bar.

Is there any way to programmatically refresh the notification area to
remove/update the icons in it?

Thanks for any info.

Tim Meddick

Apr 13, 2010, 2:57:20 PM4/13/10
There is no way that I known of to refresh the System Tray (Notification Area) other
than to move the mouse over it or to get a "Ghost-mouse" type program to do that for
you automatically.

However, most programs that use system-tray icons, when exiting, clean their tray
icons also.

So instead of terminating the program from the command-line (batch-file) using, I
assume, taskkill.exe (or similar), why not look through the program's
help-documentation to see if there is a command-line switch for the program to
terminate it "naturally"?

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

"charles" <som...@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message

alexsupra

Apr 14, 2010, 8:11:00 AM4/14/10

i agree thats very annoying bug of windows system tray.

try this commands at the end of your script (can help sometimes):
nircmd shellrefresh
nircmd sysrefresh

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

one more method is to restart shell but in case of default gui shell
i.e. windows explorer there is another problem: system tray icons of
applications that are running can disappear.

charles

Apr 16, 2010, 10:24:30 AM4/16/10
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:05:12 +0000, charles <som...@somewhere.invalid>
wrote:

Thanks for your all your replies.

Yes, I am using a taskkill type program, there is no commandline option.
I've tried GhostMouse 2.0 to automatically move the mouse to the right
place but it's slow and no way to put the mouse back where it was. If
there are any other similar programs I'd like to hear of them.

Using nircmd was a good idea I hadn't thought of but unfortunately
doesn't refresh the tray area in any way I've tried.

Lot of effort for little payback. Very annoying windows bug.

Zaidy036

Apr 16, 2010, 12:47:40 PM4/16/10
In article <82ra8u...@mid.individual.net>, som...@somewhere.invalid says...

Maybe this will help http://www.ptfbpro.com/