Cannot install Starter Kits

goldenrate

Nov 9, 2008, 11:44:01 PM11/9/08
I have tried to install two different starter kits and received the following
error:

"Installation stopped because the directory for the ProjectType value did
not exist. The project type is invalid for your installation of Visual
Studio."

The first one was DNN starter kits (ASP.NET site), so I trust its a good
source.

Does anybody knows what is the problem.

Thanks

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Nov 10, 2008, 4:42:58 AM11/10/08
Dear Goldenrate,

Thanks for using Microsoft Newsgroup Service. My name is Hongye Sun [MSFT]
and it is my pleasure to work with you on this issue.

According to the error message, it looks like that the starter kits
installer is trying to find some directory which will be only existing when
some project type is installed. However, from the error message, we have no
idea of what directory it is looking for and what project type should be
installed.
In the following part, I will three ways for us to troubleshoot the problem:

#1: Reset Project Types
Because the DNN starter kits is an ASP.NET site, the missing project type
is probably a web site project type. In order to verify this, please follow
the action plans below to reset your project settings. (Action plans are
supposed that you are using Visual Studio 2008. Please let me know if you
are using other version of Visual Studio. I will change them to adapt to
your environment.)

1. Open Visual Studio 2008.
2. Open menu item [Tools] / [Import and Export Settings].
3. In "Import and Export Settings Wizard", select "Reset all settings" and
click "Next".
4. Select "save current settings", and click "Next"
5. Select "General Development Settings" or "Web Development Settings" and
click "Finish".

The steps above will reset all the settings of the web site project, which
includes web site template folders.

#2 Verify folders which is required for DNN starter kits
After installing DNN starter kits in our lab, we have found that it
requires following directories:
C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\Visual Studio
2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Web Developer\
C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\Visual Studio
2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\
C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\Visual Studio
2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Basic\

Please verify the paths above on your machine, if there is no such
directories, you can create them manually.

#3 Using Process Monitor tool
Please try the solutions above first, if both of them don't work for you,
then you can use this way to do troubleshooting.

1. Open http://live.sysinternals.com/Procmon.exe to run process monitor
tool, start monitoring.
2. Run the installer.
3. When the error message occurs, go back to process monitor and stop
monitoring.
4. Filter the message for installer process and check what directories are
not found.

Please let me know if they work for you. Thanks.

Regards,
Hongye Sun (hon...@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

msd...@microsoft.com.

goldenrate

Nov 10, 2008, 12:55:01 PM11/10/08

Thank you so much for your help. The first solution uou gave me solve the
problem.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Nov 11, 2008, 5:37:17 AM11/11/08
Thanks for your confirmation, Goldenrate. It is my pleasure to help you.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Hongye Sun (hon...@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

msd...@microsoft.com.

settapon

Feb 8, 2009, 11:03:02 AM2/8/09
Thank you very much. This fix my problem.

falth

May 1, 2010, 5:21:01 AM5/1/10

Thank you so much Hongye Sun. The first solution you gave solve my
problem too. :)

Regards

/Tommy Fälth