Visual Studio Online - Hosted Build Agent - Why is obj\Debug not created and/or not accessible

anup...@qburst.com

Mar 2, 2015, 6:36:42 AM3/2/15
One of our customers uses Visual Studio Online ( http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/what-is-visual-studio-online-vs.aspx ) which is based on capabilities of Team Foundation Server (TFS)

We were researching how to do automated Builds and automated Unit Tests using the Visual Studio Online hosted build agent.

We are trying to build one of our Web Applications on it.

Sadly, we get the following errors pertaining to obj\Debug

$/BlahBlah Master Framework/BlahBlahUIFrameworkForBuildTst/BlahBlah.sln - 4 error(s), 21 warning(s), View Log File
C:\a\src\BlahBlahUIFrameworkForBuildTst\packages\Microsoft.Bcl.Build.1.0.13 \tools\Microsoft.Bcl.Build.targets (79): The "EnsureBindingRedirects" task failed unexpectedly.
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\a\src\BlahBlahUIFrameworkForBuildTst\BlahBlah\obj\Debug\BlahBlah.csproj.App.config' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync)
at System.Xml.XmlWriterSettings.CreateWriter(String outputFileName)
at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Save(String fileName, SaveOptions options)
at Roxel.BuildTasks.EnsureBindingRedirects.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecution Host.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__20.MoveNext()
CSC: Source file 'obj\Debug\TemporaryGeneratedFile_036C0B5B-1481-4323-8D20- 8F5ADCB23D92.cs' could not be found
CSC: Source file 'obj\Debug\TemporaryGeneratedFile_5937a670-0e60-4077-877b- f7221da3dda1.cs' could not be found
CSC: Source file 'obj\Debug\TemporaryGeneratedFile_E7A71F73-0F8D-4B9B-B56E- 8E70B10BC5D3.cs' could not be found

Basically, analyzing the errors above, it states that the Build process is Unauthorized to Access the obj\Debug

However, later on it also states that some files in the obj\Debug\ could Not be found. For Example, here is one of the errors:

CSC: Source file 'obj\Debug\TemporaryGeneratedFile_E7A71F73-0F8D-4B9B-B56E-8E70B10BC5D3.cs' could not be found

I know it's probably Poor practice, but I tried to commit the obj\Debug\ folder(s) from my local development computer, however, it still threw the aforementioned errors.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the obj\Debug\ folder(s) should just get created by the build process itself, and therefore should Never be committed to the Visual Studio Online Repository( or even any kind of code repository).

In Any Case, let me explain how my Visual Studio Online's Hosted Build Agent's Build Definition settings are:

For Source Settings, I've only ensured that Working Folders involve my Web Application's "Source Control Folder" corresponds to the "Build Agent Folder" with the same name. The "Source Control Folder" and the "Build Agent Folder" have the same name.

For Build Defaults, the "Build Controller" is specified as "Hosted Build Controller"
and the staging location is set as "Copy Build Output to Server"

For "Private Drop Location", the "Solution Specific Build Outputs" is set to False which means that all build outputs will be in the same folder.

Do I have to change configuration in my Visual Studio Online's Hosted Build Agent's Build Definition settings so that the obj\Debug is created and/or made accessible? If yes, what configuration change should I make?