VS2010 custom project, resource view empty

jan

Sep 10, 2010, 7:51:03 AM9/10/10
We added a custom project type in VS2010. When we open a solution that
contains such a project and also a normal Windows C++ project, clicking the
RC file in the C++ project leaves the resource view empty. Only when right
clicking the RC file, then choosing Open With..., Resource editor, does the
normal resource tree appear, but now not in the resource view but in the main
window.

What can be the reason for this?

Regards, Jan

Khalid Omar

Oct 7, 2010, 5:37:56 AM10/7/10
I had the same issue in a multi-project solution that I created. After some digging around I figured out that the issue is caused because I manually renamed the ".rc" and ".rc2" files from "Solution Explorer", however, it seems that the files are still referenced using their old names in other location.

To fix the problem, close the solution, then open all ".rc", ".rc2", and ".vcxproj" files in a text editor such as notepad and make sure that the right files are being referenced. i.e., search for ".rc" and ".rc2" and check that the name of the files match what you have.

Also, I suggest you delete all temporary files such as "*.vcxproj.user", "*.aps", "*.opensdf", "*.sdf", and "*.suo"

Finally, re-open the solution and check "Resource View"

> Using ASP.NET Session with Silverlight and WCF Services
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/c72cc77a-bf84-4180-a35b-46b8726ab782/using-aspnet-session-with-silverlight-and-wcf-services.aspx

Khalid Omar

Oct 7, 2010, 5:39:15 AM10/7/10
I had the same issue in a multi-project solution that I created. After some digging around I figured out that the issue is caused because I manually renamed the ".rc" and ".rc2" files from "Solution Explorer", however, it seems that the files are still referenced using the original names in other location.

To fix the problem, open all ".rc", ".rc2", and ".vcxproj" files in a text editor and make sure that the right files are being referenced. i.e., search for ".rc" and ".rc2" and check that the name of the files match what you have.

Also, I suggest you delete all temporary files such as "*.vcxproj.user", "*.aps", "*.opensdf", "*.sdf", and "*.suo"

Finally, re-open the solution and check "Resource View"

> On Friday, September 10, 2010 7:51 AM jan wrote:

>> On Thursday, October 07, 2010 5:37 AM Khalid Omar wrote:

>> I had the same issue in a multi-project solution that I created. After some digging around I figured out that the issue is caused because I manually renamed the ".rc" and ".rc2" files from "Solution Explorer", however, it seems that the files are still referenced using their old names in other location.
>>

>> To fix the problem, close the solution, then open all ".rc", ".rc2", and ".vcxproj" files in a text editor such as notepad and make sure that the right files are being referenced. i.e., search for ".rc" and ".rc2" and check that the name of the files match what you have.
>>

>> Also, I suggest you delete all temporary files such as "*.vcxproj.user", "*.aps", "*.opensdf", "*.sdf", and "*.suo"
>>

>> Finally, re-open the solution and check "Resource View"

>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice

>> JustCode Visual Studio Development Add-In by Telerik
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d174b33a-d86e-48e7-b381-fcd1938b6775/justcode-visual-studio-development-addin-by-telerik.aspx

Khalid Omar

Oct 7, 2010, 5:39:34 AM10/7/10
I had the same issue in a multi-project solution that I created. After some digging around I figured out that the issue is caused because I manually renamed the ".rc" and ".rc2" files from "Solution Explorer", however, it seems that the files are still referenced using the original names in other location.

To fix the problem, open all ".rc", ".rc2", and ".vcxproj" files in a text editor and make sure that the right files are being referenced. i.e., search for ".rc" and ".rc2" and check that the name of the files match what you have.

Also, I suggest you delete all temporary files such as "*.vcxproj.user", "*.aps", "*.opensdf", "*.sdf", and "*.suo"

Finally, re-open the solution and check "Resource View"

> On Friday, September 10, 2010 7:51 AM jan wrote:

>> On Thursday, October 07, 2010 5:37 AM Khalid Omar wrote:

>> I had the same issue in a multi-project solution that I created. After some digging around I figured out that the issue is caused because I manually renamed the ".rc" and ".rc2" files from "Solution Explorer", however, it seems that the files are still referenced using their old names in other location.
>>

>> To fix the problem, close the solution, then open all ".rc", ".rc2", and ".vcxproj" files in a text editor such as notepad and make sure that the right files are being referenced. i.e., search for ".rc" and ".rc2" and check that the name of the files match what you have.
>>

>> Also, I suggest you delete all temporary files such as "*.vcxproj.user", "*.aps", "*.opensdf", "*.sdf", and "*.suo"
>>

>> Finally, re-open the solution and check "Resource View"

>>> On Thursday, October 07, 2010 5:38 AM Khalid Omar wrote:

>>> I had the same issue in a multi-project solution that I created. After some digging around I figured out that the issue is caused because I manually renamed the ".rc" and ".rc2" files from "Solution Explorer", however, it seems that the files are still referenced using the original names in other location.
>>>

>>> To fix the problem, open all ".rc", ".rc2", and ".vcxproj" files in a text editor and make sure that the right files are being referenced. i.e., search for ".rc" and ".rc2" and check that the name of the files match what you have.
>>>

>>> Also, I suggest you delete all temporary files such as "*.vcxproj.user", "*.aps", "*.opensdf", "*.sdf", and "*.suo"
>>>

>>> Finally, re-open the solution and check "Resource View"

>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice

>>> Lucene.Net Indexing Searching Entry Level Tutorial
>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/c69ef65f-e3c6-409e-ab97-168897c74f83/lucenenet-indexing-searching-entry-level-tutorial.aspx

Khalid Omar

Oct 7, 2010, 5:41:58 AM10/7/10
I had the same issue in a multi-project solution that I created. After some digging around I figured out that the issue is caused because I manually renamed the ".rc" and ".rc2" files from "Solution Explorer", however, it seems that the files are still referenced using the original names in other location.

To fix the problem, open all ".rc", ".rc2", and ".vcxproj" files in a text editor and make sure that the right files are being referenced. i.e., search for ".rc" and ".rc2" and check that the name of the files match what you have.

Also, I suggest you delete all temporary files such as "*.vcxproj.user", "*.aps", "*.opensdf", "*.sdf", and "*.suo"

Finally, re-open the solution and check "Resource View"

> On Friday, September 10, 2010 7:51 AM jan wrote:

>> On Thursday, October 07, 2010 5:37 AM Khalid Omar wrote:

>> I had the same issue in a multi-project solution that I created. After some digging around I figured out that the issue is caused because I manually renamed the ".rc" and ".rc2" files from "Solution Explorer", however, it seems that the files are still referenced using their old names in other location.
>>

>> To fix the problem, close the solution, then open all ".rc", ".rc2", and ".vcxproj" files in a text editor such as notepad and make sure that the right files are being referenced. i.e., search for ".rc" and ".rc2" and check that the name of the files match what you have.
>>

>> Also, I suggest you delete all temporary files such as "*.vcxproj.user", "*.aps", "*.opensdf", "*.sdf", and "*.suo"
>>

>> Finally, re-open the solution and check "Resource View"

>>> On Thursday, October 07, 2010 5:38 AM Khalid Omar wrote:

>>> I had the same issue in a multi-project solution that I created. After some digging around I figured out that the issue is caused because I manually renamed the ".rc" and ".rc2" files from "Solution Explorer", however, it seems that the files are still referenced using the original names in other location.
>>>

>>> To fix the problem, open all ".rc", ".rc2", and ".vcxproj" files in a text editor and make sure that the right files are being referenced. i.e., search for ".rc" and ".rc2" and check that the name of the files match what you have.
>>>

>>> Also, I suggest you delete all temporary files such as "*.vcxproj.user", "*.aps", "*.opensdf", "*.sdf", and "*.suo"
>>>

>>> Finally, re-open the solution and check "Resource View"

co...@greenchurch.co.uk

Aug 3, 2016, 3:34:03 PM8/3/16
I just moved my projects from VS6.0 to VS2015, and I have this empty resource view window problem. (all projects compile and execute ok). You have "saved my life" by explaining the "Open with" work-around, but why is there no way to populate the resource view window ? None of the tricks mentioned here or elsewhere work for me.
Regards, Colin.