Trouble deploying VSPackage for new Project Type

Mike Williams

Jul 13, 2011, 9:07:26 PM7/13/11
I have created a VSPackage that creates a custom project type using
the instructions in the following two Walkthroughs:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512961.aspx

and

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc826178(v=VS.90).aspx

I am using Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Ultimate.

Everything works as expected based on the descriptions in the
Walkthoughs, i.e. when I click F5, the Visual Studio Experimental
Instance starts and I can choose File -> New -> Project, and my custom
project template is visible in the New Project dialog box. I can
create new instances of my project and everything works as expected.

Now I want to deploy my VSPackage to a separate VM for testing. I copy
the .vsix file to my test machine (which is a 64 bit VM running a
pristine Win 7 Ultimate install, all updates installed as well as
Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate SP1 with only C# installed), double-click
the .vsix file and it installs as expected. However, when I start
Visual Studio, and click File -> New -> Project, my new project type
is not available in the New Project dialog. When I check the
Extensions Manager (Tools -> Extensions Manager), my VSPackage does
appear as an Installed Extension.

Any idea what I'm missing? The walkthroughs don't actually describe
how to deploy/install the VSPackage, only how to test it using the
Visual Studio Experimental instance. Maybe