UPDATING SOURCE CONTROL STATUS

--dogle

Feb 25, 2011, 7:46:23 PM2/25/11
http://www.codeproject.com/Questions/111260/VS-NET-2008-hangs-everytime-we-load-our-project-fr.aspx?tab=mostrecent

YaY! YOU FRIGGIN ROCK! Thank you so much! You dont know how bad this
was affecting my work!

Because you helped me so much, I'm gonna return the favor and help
those who dont know how to update the hosts file.

We have Visual Source Safe 2006 and Visual Studio 2008.
Our VSS database is on a network drive.

Step 1 - Determine which server\computer the VSS Database is on:
In Visual Studio 2008 select File->Source Control->Change Source
Control. Note the "Server Name". You're only interested in the server
name which is the value between the beginning back slashes and the
next backslash. In my case it is dddmisfile
\\dddmisfile\vssdatabase\FocusDD
Step 2 - Determine the ip address of the server: Open a Command Prompt
(start->Run type cmd and press enter) and ping your server name (type
ping YOURSERVERNAME in the command prompt box). I typed ping
dddmisfile and this is what I got:
c:\>ping dddmisfile

Pinging dddmisfile.azdes.gov [10.104.49.10] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.104.49.10: bytes=32 time=-52ms TTL=128
Reply from 10.104.49.10: bytes=32 time=-52ms TTL=128
Reply from 10.104.49.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 10.104.49.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.104.49.10:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = -52ms, Average = 1073741798ms
The IP Address you are interested in is the one that follows Reply
from
In My case its 10.104.49.10

You're also interested in the fully qualified domain name: which is
the name of the server with the domain appended to it. In My case its
dddmisfile.azdes.gov

Step 3 - Add a line to your hosts file with any text editor Open the
file with notepad. Type this in the run box (Start->Run)
C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\HOSTS
This is what I see before I modify it:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host
name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
To add your server name to this list, simply add a new line and type
the ip address then press tab then the fully qualified domain name:
10.104.49.10 dddmisfile.azdes.gov
Thats it! Close Notepad and you're done! Dont even need to reboot!
Dont for get to save your changes!