No Vs 2005 help

Bob

Nov 15, 2005, 10:39:11 AM11/15/05
I installed Vs2005 final release developper team edition, I had previously
installed Sql server 2005 developper edition complete on same machine and
had also Visual studio 6, with Visual studio 2003 installed for quite a
while. I installed the msdn for 2005 from 3 CD iso images that I downloaded
and burned. Installation went OK. Visual studio 2005 seems to be working OK,
but when I press F1 all I see in the dropdown list is help topics related to
all aspects of SQL server, not a single filter selection is available for
Visual studio IDE or any of the filters for Visual basic etc...

When I select Visual studio help from the start menu, Visual studio 2005,
documentaion I get the same behaviour, there is no Visual studio 2005
documentation, only SQl server 2005 documentation. The link in the main
menus from the start menu points to

D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 8\dexplore.exe" /helpcol
ms-help://ms.vscc.v80 /LaunchNamedUrlTopic DefaultPage /usehelpsettings
VisualStudio.8.0

I uninstalled and reinstalled the msdn 2005 and did a reinstall from the
three CDS but still get same problem. I configured it to use local first,
online after, I also tried local only. I just can't get VS 2005 help about
Visual basic (which is what I use most).

How do I configure this thing so that I see help about Visual studio
languages in the IDE and other things (like component one stuff that I also
have)

Is this a bug?

MY help in Vs2003 or vs6 works fine.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

pvdg42

Nov 15, 2005, 1:49:33 PM11/15/05

"Bob" <bdu...@sgiims.com> wrote in message
As you didn't say specifically, can we assume that when you installed VS
2005, that you did go through the additional steps provided by the VS 2005
installer to install the MSDN help for Visual Studio 2005? Or did you
install from the CD's as a separate product? If the latter, I suspect the
MSDN help you installed is not mapped to Visual Studio, and that you may
need to reinstall via the VS 2005 installer.

Bob

Nov 15, 2005, 3:11:00 PM11/15/05
I did, but since I haven't really started doing anything important yet,
I'll uninstall and reinstall

I'll let you know how it goes.

Bob

"pvdg42" <pvd...@newsgroups.nospam> a écrit dans le message de news:
%23bJLYVh...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Bob

Nov 15, 2005, 6:15:18 PM11/15/05
No change, Uninstalled Vs2005 and msdn 2005, reinstalled from scratch, still
only see help about SQLserver 2005, nothing about the Visual studio 2005
languages. I checked the checkbox to integrate the msdn 2005 with the Visual
studio 2003 that was already on the machine, when I go in 2003 I can see the
msdn subscription for october 2005 and get some info about 2005 from there,
but not directly from Vs2005. I did a full install of Vs2005.

Hope someone can help me with this, I hate as h... to work with no help
readely available.

Bob

"Bob" <bdu...@sgiims.com> wrote in message

Gary Chang[MSFT]

Nov 16, 2005, 3:19:01 AM11/16/05
Hi Bob,

>How do I configure this thing so that I see help about
>Visual studio languages in the IDE and other things
>(like component one stuff that I also have)

When you open the MSDN library for Visual Studio 2005, have you selected
any product catalog in its "Filtered by:" listbox?

If it had been specified to the SQL Server product, you will only see the
SQL Server related document in the MSDN library.

Thanks !

Best regards,

Gary Chang
Microsoft Community Support
--------------------
Get Secure! :C www.microsoft.com/security
Register to Access MSDN Managed Newsgroups!
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/msdn/nospam.asp
&SD=msdn

Bob

Nov 16, 2005, 12:00:57 PM11/16/05
Garry, no, that's the problem , in the filtered listbox there only appear
choices relating to SQL Server 2005 and there is not even a choice to show
unfiltered content. It looks like when I installed the Sql server 2005
(first in sequence of installation) it installed all its help OK, but after
that installing VS 2005 Developper Team Edition and then installing product
documentation something in that sequence prevented the help from
"registering" if thats the correct word, with VS2005 developper team edition

Hope we can get this resolved,
Thanks for your help,
Bob

""Gary Chang[MSFT]"" <v-ga...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gary Chang[MSFT]

Nov 16, 2005, 10:42:50 PM11/16/05
Hi Bob,

>It looks like when I installed the Sql server 2005 (first in sequence
>of installation) it installed all its help OK, but after that installing
>VS 2005 Developper Team Edition and then installing product
>documentation something in that sequence prevented the help
>from "registering" if thats the correct word, with
>VS2005 developper team edition

yes, I also think that may be the problem. The general convention is to
install the VS2005 RTM first, then install the SQL Server 2005. You may
need to reinstall the VS2005 and SQL Server 2005 for a test.

By the way, before you install the VS2005 RTM, you need to uninstall all
the pre-RTM VS2005 components, it includes the SQL Server, .NET Framework,
MSDN for VS2005, etc.. Please refer to the VS2005 RTM's ReadMe
documentation for the details.

Thanks!

Bob

Nov 17, 2005, 9:38:28 AM11/17/05
I was afraid of that :-(
Can you pass the wish on to Microsoft, get the installer right so that the
end user doesn't to go through this.
This is time that is totally wasted and should not happen.

Thanks anyways for your help.

""Gary Chang[MSFT]"" <v-ga...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gary Chang[MSFT]

Nov 17, 2005, 9:51:10 PM11/17/05
Hi Bob,

I will forward your wish to the corresponding team, but I am afraid there
will not be such an installer.

Currently we have a Pre-RTM Visual Studio 2005 Automatic Uninstall Tool, it
may be useful to you:
http://blogs.msdn.com/danielfe/archive/2005/10/27/485863.aspx

Thanks for your understanding!