Lost my "Error List" window

RobertPhoenix

Sep 4, 2007, 6:01:50 PM9/4/07
Something has happened with my copy of Visual Studio 2005.

When I click on View/Error List (to try to see the "Error List"
window) I don't see any error list window. After clicking View/Error
List there is no visible active window.

If I make Visual Studio go to full screen, and then click on View/
Error List, I do get a visible Error List window, but no matter where
I place it, as soon as I disable View/Full Screen the error list
disappears again.

I've tried doing an Alt/Space when the Error list is presumably
active, and then pressing 'M' for move, but I haven't been able to
make it visible by that means.

Any ideas?

Jeff Johnson

Sep 14, 2007, 5:30:23 PM9/14/07
"RobertPhoenix" <robert.w...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Being a tool window the Alt-Space trick won't work since it has no window
menu.

Go to Tools | Macros | Record a Temporary Macro and do something, anything.
Then open the macro editor and paste in this code (overwriting whatever
action you recorded):

With DTE.Windows.Item(EnvDTE80.WindowKinds.vsWindowKindErrorList)
.IsFloating = True
.Visible = True
.Left = 5
.Top = 5
End With

Then run the temporary macro. Note that this will make the window a floating
window, and you'll have to right-click the title bar and make it dockable
again. I couldn't figure out how to do that in the few minutes I spent on
this.

K Giesen

Jun 6, 2011, 2:17:33 AM6/6/11
I had the same problem, but sadly Jeffs macro didn't work for me (when it comes to ".IsFloating = True" I get an error message with a COM component having a HRESULT E_FAIL.

For me worked the following:

Go to Window|Reset Window Layout.

After that any changes of your window layout are lost, but you can acces the Error List via menue or shortcut.