Debugging Classic ASP with Visual Studio 2003 and non admin (limited / restricted) LUA

PhilUK

Apr 2, 2005, 4:09:40 AM4/2/05

I use Visual Studio 2003 Pro on Windows XP SP2, firewall disabled and
with IIS running local, a limited (non-admin) user account (Domain
Account). I am able to Debug ASP.NET web projects but not Classic ASP
on my machine.

The steps I have followed so far are as follows (mainly taken from the
MSDN article "Developing Software in Visual Studio .NET with
Non-Administrative Privileges" Author: Lars Bergstrom.

1. Added my domain user as a member of my local machines 'Users', 'VS
Developers' and 'Debugger Users' groups. My user is NOT in any other
groups.

2. Edited Machine.Config file in
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG
under the processModel section to:
enable="true"
username="mydomain\mydomainuser"
password="mydomainuserpassword"

3. Set the following file/folder permissions for my user:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 - Read
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 - Read
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files -
Read and Write
C:\WINDOWS\Temp - Read and Write

4. Installed IIS6 Resource kit to get Metabase Explorer and set my
user permissions to Full Control for the Computer (This was just to
solve the problem I had of being unable to create web applications
from VS)

5. In Visual Studio I set my Start Project and Start Page, choose
properties of the Projects and ticked Enable ASP Debugging.

When I try debugging Classic ASP, I get a box pop up with the
following:

Title: Debugging: Name and Password Required

Message: Enter the name and password of a Windows NT account with
permission to enable ASP debugging on the target machine.

I have tried using the username and password of my domain user, the
machines local administrator and even an administrator of the domain
which I know the credentials for are correct. When I do this I get the
following error message no matter what user I try.

Title: Microsoft Development Environment
Message: Unexpected error from Microsoft Transaction Server
Administrator.

If I log onto the computer with my local administrator user I can
debug Classic ASP without a problem. Under my logon I tried starting
VS2003 by using RunAs with the administrator user but when I go to
debug, Internet Explorer is supposed to start - but it doesnt show up
(it appears to run but it just isnt showing on the screen).

On a final note, I read a few posts/articles about DCOMCNFG (in
control panel/administrator tools - Component Services). I clicked
Configure my Computer from there and added my user to both Access
Permissions and Launch and Activation Permissions using the Edit
Limits buttons under the COM Security Tab and basically set myself to
Allow on everything. I also installed the Remote Debugging Components.
None of this has made any difference!

I think I have covered everything here that I have tried. I have found
VERY little information on the internet about debugging Classic ASP in
VS2003 with a limited user account. I see lots for remote debugging.

I hope someone can help

Phil Layton...

Phil

Apr 2, 2005, 5:57:39 AM4/2/05
UPDATE:

I missed out the following information from this post:

I gave my user "Log on as Batch Job" privilege in GPEdit under
Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/User Rights
Assignment

In IIS Manager under properties/configuration/debugging for my ASP
virtual directory I manually set both debugging checkboxes:

Enable ASP server-side script debugging
Enable ASP client-side script debugging

In Internet Explorer advanced options I unchecked
Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)
Disable Script Debugging (Other)

"Integrated Windows Security" is set on the virtual diretory where I am
trying to debug Classic ASP - in fact its on the whole default web. I
have also tried with and without anonymous access being set.

Reinstalled both Visual Studio and IIS in case there was something dodgy
going on but still get the same error.

I'm sure it's something to do with permissions because logging on as
local admin works fine, just dont know where I need to set a permission.

Have got to the sad point of restating the computer after every single
change I make just in case some of these settings need a reboot. Getting
to the point of despair now!

Going to McDonalds. Getting a Quarter Pounder... Placing gurkins from my
burger over my eyes to meditate... Damn relish in my eye, going to wash
it out... Off my rocker. .NET killed the developer star! asylum here I
come! HELP!

Krishna Reddy Yerram

May 6, 2008, 2:17:32 AM5/6/08

To resolve this issue. You need to modify your browser
settings.

open your browser.

1. Tools --> Local Intranet--> Security -->
Internet --> Custom level --> User Authentication -->
Automatic logon with current user name and password.
You should select this option.

2. Tools --> Internet options --> Security -->
Internet --> Custom level --> User Authentication -->
Automatic logon with current user name and password.
You should select this option.

Now your debugger wont ask for windows User name and password.

I hope this will work.

Krishna Reddy Yerram.

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/153343.aspx

Krishna Reddy Yerram

May 7, 2008, 3:16:13 AM5/7/08

To resolve this issue, You need to modify your browser
settings.

open your browser.

1. Tools --> Internet options --> Security --> Local Intranet--> Custom

level --> User Authentication -->
Automatic logon with current user name and password.
You should select this option.

2. Tools --> Internet options --> Security -->
Internet --> Custom level --> User Authentication -->
Automatic logon with current user name and password.
You should select this option.

Now your debugger will not ask for windows User name and password.

I hope this will work.

Krishna Reddy Yerram....

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/153343.aspx

Krishna Reddy Yerram

May 26, 2008, 9:43:14 AM5/26/08
The Debugging property page in your project's Property Pages dialog box,
Uncheck asp debugging.

Now Name and Password did not ask before debugging .net 2003.

I hope this will work.

Krishna Reddy Yerram....

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/153343.aspx

akkat...@gmail.com