How do I? Make 1 visio shape same size as another-NotUsingHandles?

kdrahovsky

Aug 28, 2007, 9:46:01 AM8/28/07
How Do I make 1 Visio Shape the same size as another one, without using the
shapes handles?

I cannot find this anywhere?

John Goldsmith

Aug 28, 2007, 9:54:19 AM8/28/07
Use the Size & Position Window under the View menu. You can also use basic
calculations in there as well, for example:

Height: 2ft+1in

...and of course there's always the shapesheet (Window/Show ShapeSheet) if
you want to get deeper into how shapes behave.

Best regards

John

John Goldsmith
www.visualSignals.co.uk

"kdrahovsky" <kdrah...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kdrahovsky

Aug 28, 2007, 10:26:03 AM8/28/07
Thanks Jon, this helps a little. Still you must type in the size. More
specifically, I apologise, perhaps a "Make Same Size" button. For example,
like other applications, you can typically highlight a first object, then a
2nd object, then you can go to an option/menu that states "Make the Same
Size." Then the 2nd object takes on the same sizing (H & W) of the 1st
object.

Thanks,
Karl

"John Goldsmith" wrote:

> Use the Size & Position Window under the View menu. You can also use basic
> calculations in there as well, for example:
>
> Height: 2ft+1in
>

> ....and of course there's always the shapesheet (Window/Show ShapeSheet) if

John Goldsmith

Aug 28, 2007, 11:23:08 AM8/28/07
Hello Karl,

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I'm afraid there's no direct command
that does what you're looking for (of course you can duplicate (ctrl+D)).

You could achieve this fairly simply with code.

Best regards

John

John Goldsmith
www.visualSignals.co.uk

"kdrahovsky" <kdrah...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kdrahovsky

Aug 28, 2007, 12:06:01 PM8/28/07
Thanks. At least I know I am not overlooking something. Seems so basic of a
feature to be added in their future.

Fred Diggs

Aug 31, 2007, 7:24:20 PM8/31/07
Here is a macro that will do the trick.

Public Sub MakeSameSize()
'Makes two objects in a selection list the same size by setting the Width and
'Height of the second item to the Width and Height of the first item.
ActiveWindow.Selection.Item(2).Cells("Width").ResultIU =
ActiveWindow.Selection.Item(1).Cells("Width").ResultIU
ActiveWindow.Selection.Item(2).Cells("Height").ResultIU =
ActiveWindow.Selection.Item(1).Cells("Height").ResultIU
End Sub

kdrahovsky

Sep 1, 2007, 8:50:00 AM9/1/07
Very nice. Much appreciated, applied and worked like a charm.

Thank You,
Karl

timwest

May 23, 2008, 2:14:20 AM5/23/08
Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but a quick improvement (works for > 2 items selected, won't complain if no items selected):

Public Sub MakeSameSize()
Dim width As Double, height As Double
If ActiveWindow.Selection.Count > 0 Then
With ActiveWindow.Selection
width = .Item(1).Cells("Width").ResultIU
height = .Item(1).Cells("Height").ResultIU
For i = 2 To ActiveWindow.Selection.Count
.Item(i).Cells("Width").ResultIU = width
.Item(i).Cells("Height").ResultIU = height
Next i
End With
End If
End Sub

-Tim

Paul Herber

May 23, 2008, 8:57:00 AM5/23/08

How do you ensure that you pick up the width and height from the
correct shape? If you have two shapes, which shape is Item(1)?

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Visio Utilities http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/

John Marshall, MVP

May 25, 2008, 12:04:40 PM5/25/08
It is in the order of selection, so the first item selected is item(1)

John... Visio MVP

Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples? http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
Visio Wishlist http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMy...@pherber.com> wrote in message

Paul Herber

May 26, 2008, 6:15:33 PM5/26/08
Ah, that's interesting and certainly makes sense. I wonder what the
order is if an enclosing area is selected with the mouse?

http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/

John Goldsmith

May 27, 2008, 2:21:05 AM5/27/08
Hmm - I'd assumed it would be first ID or at least drop order, but I've just
had a quick check and I see that it's the left-most shape that becomes the
primary item.

Best regards

John

John Goldsmith
www.visualSignals.typepad.co.uk
www.visualSignals.co.uk

"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMy...@pherber.com> wrote in message

iqbalhassan

Feb 21, 2010, 6:36:34 AM2/21/10

kdrahovsk wrote:

How do I? Make 1 visio shape same size as another-NotUsingHandles?
28-Aug-07

How Do I make 1 Visio Shape the same size as another one, without using the
shapes handles?

I cannot find this anywhere?

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:46 AM
kdrahovsk wrote:

How do I? Make 1 visio shape same size as another-NotUsingHandles?

How Do I make 1 Visio Shape the same size as another one, without using the
shapes handles?

I cannot find this anywhere?

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:54 AM
John Goldsmith wrote:

Use the Size & Position Window under the View menu.
Use the Size & Position Window under the View menu. You can also use basic
calculations in there as well, for example:

Height: 2ft+1in

....and of course there's always the shapesheet (Window/Show ShapeSheet) if
you want to get deeper into how shapes behave.

Best regards

John

John Goldsmith
www.visualSignals.co.uk

"kdrahovsky" <kdrah...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:26 AM
kdrahovsk wrote:

Thanks Jon, this helps a little. Still you must type in the size.
Thanks Jon, this helps a little. Still you must type in the size. More
specifically, I apologise, perhaps a "Make Same Size" button. For example,
like other applications, you can typically highlight a first object, then a
2nd object, then you can go to an option/menu that states "Make the Same
Size." Then the 2nd object takes on the same sizing (H & W) of the 1st
object.

Thanks,
Karl

"John Goldsmith" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:23 AM
John Goldsmith wrote:

Hello Karl,Sorry, I misunderstood the question.
Hello Karl,

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I'm afraid there's no direct command
that does what you're looking for (of course you can duplicate (ctrl+D)).

You could achieve this fairly simply with code.

Best regards

John

John Goldsmith
www.visualSignals.co.uk

"kdrahovsky" <kdrah...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:06 PM
kdrahovsk wrote:

Thanks. At least I know I am not overlooking something.
Thanks. At least I know I am not overlooking something. Seems so basic of a
feature to be added in their future.

"John Goldsmith" wrote:

On Friday, August 31, 2007 7:24 PM
FredDigg wrote:

Here is a macro that will do the trick.
Here is a macro that will do the trick.

Public Sub MakeSameSize()
'Makes two objects in a selection list the same size by setting the Width and
'Height of the second item to the Width and Height of the first item.
ActiveWindow.Selection.Item(2).Cells("Width").ResultIU =
ActiveWindow.Selection.Item(1).Cells("Width").ResultIU
ActiveWindow.Selection.Item(2).Cells("Height").ResultIU =
ActiveWindow.Selection.Item(1).Cells("Height").ResultIU
End Sub

"kdrahovsky" wrote:

On Saturday, September 01, 2007 8:50 AM
kdrahovsk wrote:

Very nice. Much appreciated, applied and worked like a charm.
Very nice. Much appreciated, applied and worked like a charm.

Thank You,
Karl

"Fred Diggs" wrote:

On Friday, May 23, 2008 2:14 AM
Tim West wrote:

A quick improvement
Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but a quick improvement (works for > 2 items selected, won't complain if no items selected):

Public Sub MakeSameSize()
Dim width As Double, height As Double
If ActiveWindow.Selection.Count > 0 Then
With ActiveWindow.Selection
width = .Item(1).Cells("Width").ResultIU
height = .Item(1).Cells("Height").ResultIU
For i = 2 To ActiveWindow.Selection.Count
.Item(i).Cells("Width").ResultIU = width
.Item(i).Cells("Height").ResultIU = height
Next i
End With
End If
End Sub

-Tim

On Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:30 PM
Avi Nahir wrote:

Great, if only
Great, if only you'd tell me how to make Visio recognize this sub, and how do I activate it from the user interface.

I went to Tools/Macro/Visual Basic Editor. Then Insert/Module and pasted the Sub into the new module added (auto-named Module1).

I returned to Visio's main button, selected a few shapes and then Tools/Macro/Module1/MakeSameSize.

Great. Working. Thanks.

On Friday, June 26, 2009 1:08 PM
Tbone wrote:

Thanks for updated code
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

Build a Selected Text Favorites Utility for your Web Site
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d72a2557-4ffd-4d29-bf1c-86feb39cae83/build-a-selected-text-fav.aspx

Paul Herber

Feb 22, 2010, 7:51:45 AM2/22/10
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 03:36:34 -0800, Iqbal Hassan wrote:

>How Do I make 1 Visio Shape the same size as another one, without using the
>shapes handles?

A simple example: say you have two rectangles, Rectangle.1 and Rectangle.2 and you want
Rectangle.1 to always be the same size as Rectangle.2

1. Select Rectangle.1
2. menu Window -> Show Shapesheet
3. edit cell "Width" to be =GUARD(Rectangle.2!Width)
4. edit cell "Height" to be =GUARD(Rectangle.2!Height)

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-electronics/

tse...@gmail.com

May 18, 2015, 8:34:53 AM5/18/15
Thanks Great stuff..love it :)

Deniel Strenadjko

Jun 28, 2022, 4:48:08 AM6/28/22
7 Years later, Still works great :) Thank you!