Hyper-V-VMMS Failed to register service principal name

MartinH

Oct 15, 2009, 11:28:38 PM10/15/09

setting up a new win2k8r2 box with hyper-v. after joining the domain
running on a fresh win2k8r2 box the after each reboot theres a message
popping up in the Hyper-V-VMMS log saying it Failed to register
service principal name with Event ID:14050

i did the recomendation restart VMMS using the Service Manager i found
on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd582089(WS.10).aspx but
that didnt solve my issue

i found another possible solution suggesting the SYSTEM account on my
Hyper-V host tried to update the servicePrincipalAttribute of it�s own
computer account within Active Directory, but failed. suggesting its a
permissions issue, so check the 'SELF' entry in the ACL to see it has
the correct permissions: see http://techblog.mirabito.net.au/?p=230

i havent been able to find the ACL for the system account on my 2k8 r2
hyper-v box so any suggestion how to get there is appreciated

im kinda lost here anyone please has a roadmap to get there?

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS
Date: 10/14/2009 3:06:10 PM
Event ID: 14050
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Failed to register service principal name.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS" Guid="{}" />
<EventID>14050</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>73</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="1460" ThreadID="2352" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin</Channel>
<Computer>\</Computer>
<Security UserID="" />
</System>
<UserData>
<VmlEventLog
xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events"
xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Virtualization/Events">
</VmlEventLog>
</UserData>
</Event>

RSOLY777

Nov 5, 2009, 12:14:01 PM11/5/09
Hello, I found the answer on another site by an unknown poster and am posting
the content here:
http://techblog.mirabito.net.au/?p=230
This worked for me, the errors are now gone, There is an image on the
webpage that helps
Hope this helps all that have this issue.
Sincerely
Robert Shahon
ESRI Systems Administrator

“Failed to register service principal name” on Hyper-V host

I recently noticed that I was getting the following event logged every two
minutes: -

Date: 20/09/2009 5:52:42 PM

Event ID: 14050
Task Category: None
Level: Error
User: SYSTEM

Computer: HyperV01.mydomain.internal

Failed to register service principal name.

This error indicates that there was an error updating the
“servicePrincipalName” attribute of the computer account for my Hyper-V
server.
I jumped in to my Active Directory to check out the permissions of the
computer account first, Make sure that you have the advanced Features checked.
To understand how to resolve this issue, it’s important to understand what’s
failing. In this case, we can see from the event 14050, that the SYSTEM

account on my Hyper-V host tried to update the servicePrincipalAttribute of

its own computer account within Active Directory, but failed. We believe it’s
a permissions issue, so we should check the “SELF” entry in the ACL to see if

it has the correct permissions:

…And bingo! The “SELF” entry is missing the “Validated write to service
principal name” permissions, so therefore it can’t write the attribute.
“SELF” in this case, corresponds to the SYSTEM account of the host that owns
the computer account.
So I went ahead and granted this permission to the computer account, and
confirmed that the servicePrincipalName attribute updated on next attempt and
that the events were no longer being logged.

"MartinH" wrote:

> .

rizwan...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2014, 9:19:43 AM11/15/14