Verryyyy slowwwww at "Preparing Network Connections" at startup

Spin

May 10, 2006, 6:15:15 AM5/10/06
Experts,

Running Windows Server 2003 (enabled as a Domain Controller and running
AD-integrated DNS) as a guest OS inside of Virtual Server 2005 R2. The VM
always stalls for five minutes at the "Preparing Network Connections" screen
before it finally gets to the Logon dialog screen. I know the number one
cause of this issue - mis-configured DNS settings. However, this VM points
to itself for it's preferred DNS server under TCP/IP properties and the
network adapter is set to "Internal Network". Is there something I need to
look at to make the "Preparing Network Connections" process faster? The
host OS is Windows XP SP2 Media Center Edition running on a brand-new Sony
VAIO VGN-AX570G Notebook computer, Pentium M CPU, Intel 915 PM chipset.

--
Spin

Ben Armstrong [MSFT]

May 10, 2006, 3:14:25 PM5/10/06
If you check the virtual machines event log - are there any entries that
might indicate what is happening?
--
Cheers,
Benjamin Armstrong

You assume all risk for your use.

Steve Jain

May 10, 2006, 4:40:07 PM5/10/06
On Wed, 10 May 2006 12:14:25 -0700, "Ben Armstrong [MSFT]"
<ben...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If you check the virtual machines event log - are there any entries that
>might indicate what is happening?

I believe the same behavior will occur on a physical machine if its
the first DC/DNS server on the domain. It has no other box to connect

Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
http://vpc.essjae.com/
I am not an employee of Microsoft.

tfenner

May 10, 2006, 4:37:07 PM5/10/06
Have you tried installing the beta service pack and Virtual Server
Additions?

"Spin" <Sp...@spin.com> wrote in message

Sam Peter

Feb 18, 2008, 3:26:26 AM2/18/08

HI all.
After getting crazy for fours months here the solution to save you some pain.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.html?forumID=47&threadID=197152&messageID=2311170
Once I've fould out that the workstation service was slowing the all start up / login process with windows XP.
Here I am posting some considerations.
First the problem appear as a very slow login after typing your passord prior the desktop to appear.
The problem also appeared as an infinite need to repair continuously the connection (right clicking on the wireless icon) or often as inability to

connect wirelessly.

The SOLUTION to the problem "login to XP takes forever" is to remove any other software that manages the wireless card and let only the native Windows

Wireless Zero Configuration to handle it but the problem immediately desappear!!!.
Once you unistall any other software excepts the drivers of the wireless card, you must go on control panel/network

connections/advanced/general/properties/wirelss network and click on Use
Windows to configure my wireless network settings which will anable the native Windows Wireless Zero Configuration.

The problem is probably found in many computer that have the intel centrino chip set which uses the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection but

maybe is with any other wireless
card that uses the intel software to manage.

Myself I did also utilize a second D-Link wireless card which was also utilizing its own software to manage and could work with the native Wireless Zero

Configuration) but it turned out because of the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless manager.
Myself just to be safe I unistalled also the D-Link softwarebut is not really necessary.

TWO MORE IMPORTANT Considerations:
THE PROBLEM DID NOT IMMEDIATELY GO AWAY!
1)
I had to reinstall (from an image I had) the entire operating system and then remove the Intel Wirelss manager from it.If I was not removing the Intel SW

the problem after few hours the problem reappeared (I restored the OS from the image like 30 times so I am certain).
For many people the problem will go away immediately just unistalling the wirelss software but that was not my case.
If you do not want to uninstall the operating system.you may go through a procedure to reset entirely the networking in your OS, I know there is a way to

do it but I never researched it.
(Maybe all you need to do is to remove all network conncections by uninsalling all drivers I chose to restart with a new XP)

2)
I utilize 2 wireless cards and I am having a second minor issue:
IF I DISABLE the wireless switch of my Intel card and connect the 2nd one, the pc still says that there are network available on the 1st. In other words

the card is not entirely off. I use a brand new DELL LATITUDE D820. Maybe this is to avoid the Plug&Play procedure.
As result I see two wireless icons on the bottom right when I only want one and altough the external DLINK says that is correctly connected to the

wireless network, Windows still seem to remain internally connected to the Intel one and as result will still be unable to see a webpage.
In order to "connect" Windows to the correct external network card I must click on its repair button (right click on its icon) and then everything is

ok. Maybe this is another bug of the os which wouldn't come as a real surprise.
I hope this all note will be useful to you and save you a lot of time.
Good luck!
PS
If you find on the web that the prefetcher is the problem.. I think it is not true.

Sam Peter

Feb 18, 2008, 3:30:20 AM2/18/08

HI all.

Sam Peter

Feb 18, 2008, 3:31:59 AM2/18/08

Bruce Sanderson

Feb 20, 2008, 11:04:45 PM2/20/08
I don't know for sure this is related to your situation or not, but I've
found that if:

1. the domain is configured with 2 or more domain controllers
and
2. all domain controllers are shut down
and
3. one domain controller (e.g. the one configured with the FSMO roles) is
started up

then that domain controller remains with the "Preparing Network Connections"
message displayed for a long time - like minutes.

If other domain controllers are already running, domain controllers do not
exhibit this problem when they are starting up.

--
Bruce Sanderson
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Sam Peter" <giogio...@gmail.com> wrote in message

timhowe...@gmail.com

May 29, 2014, 8:39:42 PM5/29/14
DANGER. THIS POST IS BOGUS. THE LINK IS TO A IMPOSTER SITE techrepublic.com.COM (2 'com's ). THE POST SHOULD BE DELETED, AND THE POSTER BANNED.