Hyper-v repeatedly asks to restart to upgrade HAL

rafoszcz

Sep 1, 2010, 5:43:03 PM9/1/10
I've got an XP Professional SP3 image that I converted P2V to run in Hyper-V.
When trying to install the integration services the VM keeps informing me it
needs to RESTART to upgrade the HAL. Each time I restart - it comes right
back to "must restart to upgrade HAL". Can't install integration services if
I can't get HAL upgraded.

Anyone have any ideas or reasons why this occurs? Hyper-V is running on
Server 2008 (not R2) fully patched. Appreciate any guidance...

Russ Foszcz

VanguardLH

Sep 2, 2010, 12:06:04 AM9/2/10
rafoszcz wrote:

Virtual machines emulate all hardware except the CPU. That means the
guest's hardware environment won't look anything like the real hardware
environment you had on whatever host from which you created the image.
You will probably need to do an in-place upgrade (repair) by using the
installation CD for Windows XP. In the guest, boot using the Windows XP
install CD and go through the repair process to replace the HAL
(hardware abstract layer).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

jo...@jongfamily.org

Jan 1, 2013, 1:18:21 PM1/1/13
Looking at this:
social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverhyperv/thread/7ea051c7-ac94-4f34-b6f6-8d75f4225173

you may choose the start-up option by selecting the non-Disk2VHD mode and allow the HAL to install. Once that's completed, booting from anyone of the modes will be fine.

you can press the down-up arrow key while VM boots to allow the selection. You must be fast though.. :)

jo...@jongfamily.org

Jan 1, 2013, 1:29:49 PM1/1/13
i made a mistake.. i can't boot from the disk2vhd mode after the HAL upgrade using the normal mode. I guess i will have to go into boot.ini to remove the entry then.. :)