Re: Can I run Mac OS X in Virtual PC 2007?

Colin Barnhorst

Mar 8, 2008, 1:04:09 AM3/8/08
No. The Apple firmware that enables OS/X to install on a Mac is not
available except on a Mac.

"Sam" <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can I run Mac OS X as a guest OS under Virtual PC 2007?
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

Mark Rae [MVP]

Mar 8, 2008, 6:32:12 AM3/8/08

http://vpc.visualwin.com/ngfaq.aspx#5

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

William R. Cousert

Mar 10, 2008, 4:35:26 PM3/10/08

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <ma...@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote in message

> "Sam" <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> Can I run Mac OS X as a guest OS under Virtual PC 2007?
>
> http://vpc.visualwin.com/ngfaq.aspx#5

There are people out there who are running OS X on standard PC's. Has anyone
figured out how to get it to run on Virtual PC?

I am not advocating piracy. If I were to do it, I would use a copy that I
paid for.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Mar 10, 2008, 4:37:58 PM3/10/08
"William R. Cousert" <ad...@mousepoopNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

>>> Can I run Mac OS X as a guest OS under Virtual PC 2007?
>>
>> http://vpc.visualwin.com/ngfaq.aspx#5
>>
> There are people out there who are running OS X on standard PC's.

How do you know...?

> Has anyone figured out how to get it to run on Virtual PC?

Quite a while ago, someone posted in here that he'd figured out how to do
it, but wouldn't say any more than that...

Robert Comer

Mar 10, 2008, 4:50:19 PM3/10/08
>There are people out there who are running OS X on standard PC's. Has anyone
>figured out how to get it to run on Virtual PC?

Most likely -- it takes hacking OSX to get it to run on real,
non-Apple hardware, a VM would be no different.

>I am not advocating piracy. If I were to do it, I would use a copy that I
>paid for.

There's also a problem with the EULA being violated by running it on
other than Apple Hardware and DMCA problems with hacking the OS to get
it to run on non-Apple hardware.

--
Bob Comer

William R. Cousert

Mar 10, 2008, 4:56:44 PM3/10/08

> "William R. Cousert" <ad...@mousepoopNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

>>> http://vpc.visualwin.com/ngfaq.aspx#5
>>>
>> There are people out there who are running OS X on standard PC's.
>
> How do you know...?

There are a few websites with step by step directions showing how to install
OS X on a standard PC.

I havent' tried it yet. It is possible they are lying, but I doubt it.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Mar 10, 2008, 5:13:09 PM3/10/08

>>> There are people out there who are running OS X on standard PC's.
>>
>> How do you know...?
>>
> There are a few websites with step by step directions showing how to
> install OS X on a standard PC.

Where...?

William R. Cousert

Mar 10, 2008, 5:30:42 PM3/10/08

> "William R. Cousert" <ad...@mousepoopNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

>>> How do you know...?
>>>
>> There are a few websites with step by step directions showing how to
>> install OS X on a standard PC.
>
> Where...?

http://forum.osx86scene.com/

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Mark Rae [MVP]

Mar 10, 2008, 9:32:47 PM3/10/08

>>> There are a few websites with step by step directions showing how to
>>> install OS X on a standard PC.
>>
>> Where...?
>>
> http://forum.osx86scene.com/
>
> http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I'm assuming that it's still against the MacOS EULA...?

Message has been deleted

Robert Comer

Mar 10, 2008, 11:02:30 PM3/10/08
I'm afraid getting past the TPM check is hacking OSX, so, yes, it
does.....

--
Bob Comer

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 02:47:23 +0100 (CET), Anonymous
<nob...@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:

>In article <2k7bt3pv6o6it45u2...@4ax.com>

>Robert Comer <bobcomer-...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> >There are people out there who are running OS X on standard PC's. Has anyone
>> >figured out how to get it to run on Virtual PC?
>>
>> Most likely -- it takes hacking OSX to get it to run on real,
>> non-Apple hardware, a VM would be no different.
>>

>No it doesn't.

OpenSourceAdvocate

Apr 14, 2008, 9:03:01 PM4/14/08

OpenSourceAdvocate

Apr 14, 2008, 9:12:00 PM4/14/08
Yes Bob is right. However, this policy is going to change. Why? Because
people are finding out that people are able to do it. Many people would like
to see the market diversified. Neither Microsoft now Apple would like this to
happen but it will. Why doesn't Microsoft want this? Microsoft, through its
participation in the Trusted Computing Group, laid the groundwork for the TPM
"as a way to shore up its monopoly," said Schneier. And Apple, well really
the same reason. Just be patient and you will have a legal copy on your PC
before you know it!!!

OpenSourceAdvocate

Apr 14, 2008, 9:16:01 PM4/14/08
Sorry the window closed out. As I was saying the reason is Microsoft is not
going to take it lightly that Apple is "touting" the fact they with a NEW
APPLE computer you can run windows inside it...... Yes that comes right from
their website. Buy a Apple and run windows xp programs from the desktop..
Read it here http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html
How long will windows sit on the sideline?

Colin Barnhorst

Apr 15, 2008, 1:03:27 AM4/15/08
This is not news. I have been running XP Pro natively on my MacBook Pro for
a couple of years. No big deal.

Microsoft makes money on this because now MS sells Windows to Mac users too.

"OpenSourceAdvocate" <OpenSourc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7095C761-8A7F-4618...@microsoft.com...

smbdymf

Apr 16, 2008, 9:19:59 AM4/16/08

"OpenSourceAdvocate" <OpenSourc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7095C761-8A7F-4618...@microsoft.com...
> Sorry the window closed out. As I was saying the reason is Microsoft is
> not
> going to take it lightly that Apple is "touting" the fact they with a NEW
> APPLE computer you can run windows inside it...... Yes that comes right
> from
> their website. Buy a Apple and run windows xp programs from the desktop..
> Read it here http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html
> How long will windows sit on the sideline?

What does Microsoft care if you can run Windows on a MAC? They are
selling copies of Windows that way. If somebody is stupid enough to buy a
MAC to run Windows, well, what more can I say.

XSonata

Nov 24, 2008, 3:52:37 PM11/24/08

> Hi,

> Can I run Mac OS X as a guest OS under Virtual PC 2007?
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

Hello, I'm just stopping by and happen to see a few.."downfall" comment's which i would like to clear up. Really i'm not even sure how old this post is but for "Future" viewer's. Yes it is possible to run OS X Leopard/Tiger on a Windows Pc with Microsoft Virtual Pc 2007. however you would need an .iso image of that file. I'm not sure if an Actual copy (DVDROM) would work (It May/It May Not). You are also able to run OS X Leopard/Tiger on a Windows Pc with VMWare (Ps-i know a lot say you can't so save your time with comment's please and try it for yourself). And for the User with the "Why run Windows on Mac" Statement, The Hardware is a Decent Mac is a lot better than most in a Pc also Mac's appear more Stylish to Some but some people prefer the Windows OS other than Lepard/Tiger because it fits there needs more. So i say there is Nothing Wrong with getting a Mac to run Windows, If you can Afford it than go for it Yes Some people don't think it's worth it but others do.

XSonata-Don't Reply Until You Try
PS-If anyone needs help with Microsoft Virtual Pc 2007 feel free and ask, As i am running OS X on an HP Notebook Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Nov 24, 2008, 4:45:55 PM11/24/08
"XSonata" <XCeltic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hello, I'm just stopping by and happen to see a few.."downfall"

> [comment's] comments
> which [i] I would like to clear up. Really [i'm] I'm not even sure how old
> this post is but
> for "Future" [viewer's] viewers. Yes it is possible to run OS X
> Leopard/Tiger on a
> Windows [Pc] PC with Microsoft Virtual Pc 2007. [however] However you

> would need
> an .iso image of that file.

Of what file...?

> You are also able to run OS X Leopard/Tiger on a Windows Pc with VMWare

> ([Ps] P.S.
> [i] I know a lot say you can't so save your time with [comment's] please

> and try it for yourself).

Go on, then, I'll bite... Please provide the steps required to install Mac
OS X on a virtual machine created either with Virtual PC or VMWare...

David B.

Nov 25, 2008, 10:09:17 AM11/25/08
The file he is referring to is an osX86 hacked ISO, not even remotely
adhering to Apple's EULA but there is a guide to getting it running on
VMware floating around the web.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <ma...@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote in message

Bob Campbell

Nov 25, 2008, 3:16:15 PM11/25/08
"David B." <ma...@nomail.net> wrote in message

> The file he is referring to is an osX86 hacked ISO, not even remotely
> adhering to Apple's EULA but there is a guide to getting it running on
> VMware floating around the web.

I have done this, but OS X runs pretty slowly in VMWare. In fact there is
a pre-installed OS X disk image for VMWare floating around.

As long as you are getting the hacked ISO, you are better off installing it
directly onto your PC. Provided your PC has compatible hardware, of
course. There is literally tons of info available for doing this. The
install ranges from simple to a complete pain in the rear, again depending
on your hardware.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Nov 25, 2008, 3:38:28 PM11/25/08
"Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote in message

>> The file he is referring to is an osX86 hacked ISO, not even remotely
>> adhering to Apple's EULA but there is a guide to getting it running on
>> VMware floating around the web.
>
> I have done this, but OS X runs pretty slowly in VMWare.

Hardly surprising... If you ever (horror of horrors!) tried to use PearPC,
you'll know true pain...

> As long as you are getting the hacked ISO, you are better off installing
> it directly onto your PC. Provided your PC has compatible hardware, of
> course. There is literally tons of info available for doing this. The
> install ranges from simple to a complete pain in the rear, again depending
> on your hardware.

Again, I suppose it depends on the individual's need for Mac OS X. If people
are interested in getting it to run in an x86 VM purely as an intellectual
exercise, then I suppose things like legality and performance will be of
little interest...

I need it for professional reasons, specifically to test my web apps
properly, so I bought a Mac Mini and a KVM...

Bob Campbell

Nov 25, 2008, 6:06:28 PM11/25/08

>> As long as you are getting the hacked ISO, you are better off installing
>> it directly onto your PC. Provided your PC has compatible hardware, of
>> course. There is literally tons of info available for doing this. The
>> install ranges from simple to a complete pain in the rear, again
>> depending on your hardware.
>
> Again, I suppose it depends on the individual's need for Mac OS X. If
> people are interested in getting it to run in an x86 VM purely as an
> intellectual exercise, then I suppose things like legality and performance
> will be of little interest...
>
> I need it for professional reasons, specifically to test my web apps
> properly, so I bought a Mac Mini and a KVM...

That's what we did where I work - we got one iMac to test our stuff. BTW,
we are not supporting Safari, just Firefox on OS X.

Personally, I have it installed here on a ThinkPad laptop and on this Core 2
Quad desktop. I rarely boot into either, but it is nice to have "just in
case".

As far as "legality", you can buy a copy OS X and then you are covered.
Even though the EULA states you can't install it on a non-Apple PC, this
would not be enforceable. Can you imagine if you had to buy a Microsoft PC
in order to run Windows?!?! MS would be sued faster than you could say
"illegal bundling". Same thing with OS X. Ask IBM about demanding a
hardware sale when all you want to buy is the software.

The most Apple can do is not support you. Which is fine, I don't
expect/want any support from them. There is plenty of support available
elsewhere.

Robert Comer

Nov 25, 2008, 8:54:51 PM11/25/08
>As far as "legality", you can buy a copy OS X and then you are covered.
>Even though the EULA states you can't install it on a non-Apple PC, this
>would not be enforceable.

The trouble is is that you have to hack it to get it to run on
non-Apple hardware, so you run afoul of the DMCA, which is
enforceable. (the breaking copy protection part.)

--
Bob Comer

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:06:28 -0500, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob>

Bob Campbell

Nov 26, 2008, 7:57:58 AM11/26/08
"Robert Comer" <bobcomer-...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >As far as "legality", you can buy a copy OS X and then you are covered.
>>Even though the EULA states you can't install it on a non-Apple PC, this
>>would not be enforceable.
>
> The trouble is is that you have to hack it to get it to run on
> non-Apple hardware, so you run afoul of the DMCA, which is
> enforceable. (the breaking copy protection part.)

No. There is no copy protection to break. The OS X DVD is NOT copy
protected. There isn't even a serial number to pirate, like with Windows.
All you have to do is change/add/remove a few files so it will boot on a
BIOS type PC. Macs all use EFI now. If your PC is new enough, you don't
even have to do that. All you need are some drivers to support your
hardware, which may or may not exist. Your best bet is have hardware as
close to Apple's as possible. There are HCLs (Hardware Compatibility
Lists) describing these.

There are many web sites devoted to this topic, and there are several
"distros" of OSX86. If laws were being broken, don't you think Apple would
have these sites shut down? In the past, they have shut down RUMOUR sites
for merely leaking information!

There are easily 10s of thousands of people running OSX86. I base this on
the fact that one web site I know of has over 325,000 registered members.
As with most Web Forums, you have to register to ask questions. If that
many people were interested enough to register, how many are simply reading?
There may well be 100,000 people who have installed OSX86.

My personal feeling on this is that Apple knows this and does not care.
They are letting others write the needed drivers, etc. As Apple moves
further and further into the gadget business, they will care less and less
about computers.

Robert Comer

Nov 26, 2008, 9:10:25 AM11/26/08
>No. There is no copy protection to break. The OS X DVD is NOT copy
>protected.

Yes and no, the DVD is not copy protected it's true, but the OS is, it
needs an apple TPM to run.

>There are many web sites devoted to this topic, and there are several
>"distros" of OSX86. If laws were being broken, don't you think Apple would
>have these sites shut down? In the past, they have shut down RUMOUR sites
>for merely leaking information!

It's up to Apple as to when or if they choose to protect their
copyright. If they don't right now it doesn't mean they wont in the
future. If they really wanted it to run on non-Apple hardware, they
would make a version for generic PC's as well...

The reason I posted is just to say it's not legal to do and anyone
choosing to do so is doing so at their own risk.

--
Bob Comer

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:57:58 -0500, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob>
wrote:

Bob Campbell

Nov 26, 2008, 12:47:32 PM11/26/08

> >No. There is no copy protection to break. The OS X DVD is NOT copy
>>protected.
>
> Yes and no, the DVD is not copy protected it's true, but the OS is, it
> needs an apple TPM to run.

No, that is not true either. OS X does not need a TPM chip. Some early
Intel Macs had this chip, but OS X never used it. It was there for 3rd
party software to use for whatever purpose it wanted.

Current Macs do not even have the TPM chip.

> The reason I posted is just to say it's not legal to do and anyone
> choosing to do so is doing so at their own risk.

It IS legal. It is merely against the EULA. Big difference. Apple's
only recourse would be to make you buy a copy of OS X, if you are running a
downloaded copy. You won't land in jail. Apple writes EULAs, not laws.

Robert Comer

Nov 26, 2008, 12:55:08 PM11/26/08
>Current Macs do not even have the TPM chip.

Okay, I wasn't aware of that, but it makes no difference at all to me,
you're taking a huge risk in running something against the EULA and
suggesting others do the same is not cool at all, and that's the last
I'll say on the subject.

--
Bob Comer

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:47:32 -0500, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob>
wrote:

Bob Campbell

Nov 26, 2008, 2:05:47 PM11/26/08

> >Current Macs do not even have the TPM chip.
>
> Okay, I wasn't aware of that, but it makes no difference at all to me,
> you're taking a huge risk in running something against the EULA and
> suggesting others do the same is not cool at all, and that's the last
> I'll say on the subject.

There is no risk. There are no "Apple Police" running around looking for
me. Like I said, there are multiple web sites devoted to this topic. If
these are allowed to operate, Apple certainly is not going to go after
individuals because (1) Apple can't even identify or track them down in the
first place and (2) all Apple can do is make you buy a copy of OS X.
Hardly worth the effort, not to mention the bad press that would surround
it.

Also, I never suggested others should do it. Someone asked the question
"Is it possible?", I answered "Yes it is". It always others who (wrongly)
jump in with "It is illegal" (no it is not), "You are breaking copy
protection" (no you are not), etc. etc.

Whether anyone continues after being told "it is possible" is wholly up to
them.

Have a look at:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=136

for an idea of the wealth of information that is shared on this topic.

starvi...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2012, 5:55:06 PM8/25/12
On Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:04:09 AM UTC-5, Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> No. The Apple firmware that enables OS/X to install on a Mac is not
> available except on a Mac.
>
> "Sam" <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can I run Mac OS X as a guest OS under Virtual PC 2007?
> > --
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sam

If you want to emulate OS X this might be useful:
http://maconwindows.com/how-to-run-mac-os-x-on-windows/

Then again if you want to install it completely do this:
http://maconwindows.com/how-to-install-osx-snow-leopard-on-a-pc/