Recommended Dev Stack for Win10 desktop application

divya_rathore

Aug 5, 2018, 4:59:15 AM8/5/18
I wrote an MFC / C++ app(lication) that I want to port on VisualStudio 2017 for Win10. It uses ribbon toolbar, DLLs liberally and extensive imaging not limited to medical. Till Win7, it was on VS2013, upgraded from VS2010 + MFC Feature Pack. Want it written afresh. For now, desktop only, as I plan Nvidia CUDA support. I am fine with rewriting. Suggest what is best recommended these days.
Options that I see:
1: Usual MFC
2: Universal Windows Platform (don’t know much about it)

Best regards,
Divya

David Lowndes

Aug 5, 2018, 10:41:53 AM8/5/18
> Want it written afresh.

Why, what was wrong with it as it was?

You should be able to open the solution in VS2017 and continue development.

> For now, desktop only

And in the future?

>1: Usual MFC
>2: Universal Windows Platform (don’t know much about it)

Unless you know there is something in UWP that would greatly benefit your application, I'd advise that you stick with what you know
will work!

Dave

divya_rathore

Aug 8, 2018, 5:02:00 PM8/8/18
Hi Dave,

You have succinctly made a very valid point.

My first thought around the idea was to use and learn state of the art development stack. And with the new xaml approach, I wonder if the general approach to creating UIs has changed for better than earlier MFC one.

I will wait for further inputs while I do sone homework from my side.

Divya

David Lowndes

Aug 8, 2018, 5:47:12 PM8/8/18
>My first thought around the idea was to use and learn state of the art development stack. And with the new xaml approach, I wonder if the general approach to creating UIs has changed for better than earlier MFC one.

By all means, experiment with the new stuff. Some say it's the best thing since sliced bread, but in my experiments with it I've
only found it more difficult to do the simple things I need.

Try it and see what you think!

Dave