Require VC++ version of VB InputBox()

Stephen Bazley

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
To all those expert programmers who will probably laugh and carry on
about bad programming style - I understand. BUT...all I require is a
class that I may link to my current source code (small program) to
prompt user input. Something just like InputBox() in Visual Basic. I am
not experienced in C++ Windows programming (and also fairly new to C++),
but I do need a solution FAST. My project is not learning how to program
in Windows. Please understand! Thanks in advance.

Paul S. Ganney

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
Stephen Bazley <ph...@cc.newcastle.edu.au> wrote:

Create a dialog box, add in a text box, go to class wizard (which will
create the class for you) and add in a variable. That's all there is
to it.

HTH

Paul.
Expressed opinions are usually my own.
Especially if they're any good (of course).

Bob Jones

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
Well you had better get cracking then! What code do you have so far for
your C++ version of InputBox()?

sc...@softbase.com

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
Stephen Bazley (ph...@cc.newcastle.edu.au) wrote:
> To all those expert programmers who will probably laugh and carry on
> about bad programming style - I understand. BUT...all I require is a
> class that I may link to my current source code (small program) to
> prompt user input. Something just like InputBox() in Visual Basic.

It would be very easy to write a standard InputBox object as an
Automation DLL, and call it from C++ or anything else that can
act as a client. Check out the Inside Visual C++ book for
details. All you'd need is an Automation DLL skeleton which
VC++ generates automatically, one interface to call the dialog,
and a dialog which you could do in the resource editor. It would
be a good project for learning your way around VC++.

Scott
--
Look at Softbase Systems' client/server tools, www.softbase.com
Check out the Essential 97 package for Windows 95 www.skwc.com/essent

c970...@alinga.newcastle.edu.au

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
In article <360841...@cc.newcastle.edu.au>,

Stephen Bazley <ph...@cc.newcastle.edu.au> wrote:
> To all those expert programmers who will probably laugh and carry on
> about bad programming style - I understand. BUT...all I require is a
> class that I may link to my current source code (small program) to
> prompt user input. Something just like InputBox() in Visual Basic. I am
> not experienced in C++ Windows programming (and also fairly new to C++),
> but I do need a solution FAST. My project is not learning how to program
> in Windows. Please understand! Thanks in advance.

I found one at http://www.mygale.org/~mjm/mfc001.htm . Now, how well it
works, I'm not sure: I'm having problems with it at the moment, but I think
that's more my programming than anything.

yomg...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2016, 3:05:53 AM2/16/16
on sourceforge, tiny file dialogs has a function call for a input box.
it's a simple C C++ cross-platform file to add to your project.

http://tinyfiledialogs.sourceforge.net

Cholo Lennon

Feb 17, 2016, 8:49:59 AM2/17/16
Another record! a response to a post that is almost *18* years old!

--
Cholo Lennon
Bs.As.