High utilization

amir...@yahoo.com

Oct 19, 2005, 10:30:05 AM10/19/05
Our developer has put together an OLE.EXE for us that is called when
users select a view option from an access database. There user will see
related .DOC, .XLS and .PDF files related to a specific record.

Environment:
IBM x346, 3GB RAM, 120GB Raid 5 disks
Windows Server 2003- Standard Edition - SP1
Terminal Services
Office XP, Service Packed (Access shows up with SP3)

Problem we are having is as followed:
If a user double clicks on a filename displayed via OLE, Files does
open with related application but server utilization goes up by about
25%. Then if file is left open and another OLE selected file is opened,
utilization goes up by another 25%. This goes on until utilization
reaches 100%. 2003 is good managing high utilization and users do not
notice any problem but I am concern what if they do. Our short term
solution is to right click and select "Open With" method. If file is
opened this way, utilization stays low and user could open as many file
as he/she wants.

Any idea on why OLE opened files create such high utilization?

Thanks.