Sorting

Aoli

May 12, 2022, 2:07:26 PM5/12/22
I need to sort for viewing the Path and FileName, each obtained as
separate items. e.g. Path & vbTab & FileName

So what is the preferred viewing format say as a single column in a
listview?

And how do I do it ?

(1) normalize path and filename. Sort as connected Path & vbTab & Filename

(2) normalized two column sort. bSuccess = SortThese(Path, Filename)

(3) One of the above with normalizing.

Also all will be UCase$()

normalizing(1):
As path comes in, save maximum string length
As filename comes in, save string length
Then as soring, backfill each with spaces to have all the same length.

normalizing(2)
sort based on length of item, then if same length, sort on text.

ObiWan

May 13, 2022, 6:50:41 AM5/13/22
:: On Thu, 12 May 2022 11:07:26 -0700
:: (microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion)
:: <t5jicr$210$1...@gioia.aioe.org>
:: Aoli <Ao...@Aoli.com> wrote:

> normalizing(1):
> As path comes in, save maximum string length
> As filename comes in, save string length
> Then as soring, backfill each with spaces to have all the same length.

Why ? The above makes little sense to me, if you need to sort
pathnames, just load them and sort the list, no need to play with
length

ObiWan

May 13, 2022, 6:52:14 AM5/13/22
:: Aoli <Ao...@Aoli.com> wrote:

> So what is the preferred viewing format say as a single column in a
> listview?

a treeview with the folders and subfolder and a listview with files and
details about them won't fit here ? All in all is almost the same
format used by windows explorer, so the user should already be familiar
with it