VB Coding Standards ... ?

1 view

Mike Loll

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00

I'm looking for any pointers towards programming standards in general, and
more specifically VB standards. I'm talking about things like programming
style, variable declaration, etc. I usually use hungarian notation, or
close to it, in ym code, but I'm noticing a lot of people do not use it
anymore.

Any help is appreciated.

Michael Loll

Mitch Abaza

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00

What is Hungarian notation?

--
Mitch Abaza
mab...@NOSPAMhome.com

Scott McChesney

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00

VB uses a modified style of Hungarian - at least that's what I was taught.
Since most VB types don't correspond to C++ types - the language Hungarian
notation is really used for - they changed it. Using "sz" or "psz" for a
String just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to VB people, I guess...
though it's good to know, because most of the API calls use Hungarian
notation, so you won't be left scratching your head going "what the heck is
that supposed to be?"

My best suggestion is to start here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/vbasic/vbcon98/vbconcodingcon
ventionsoverview.htm

No better place to start than the people who wrote it (IMO). I use most of
what's here, but I modified a little bit here and there, and I made my own
conventions for things they didn't cover (mostly variable types).

HTH

Scott

Scott McChesney

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00

It's a naming convention invented by a guy at Microsoft several years ago.
It's called "Hungarian" because (a) the man who invented it was Hungarian
(or at least Eastern European), and (b) it makes a lot of variable names
look Hungarian (or at least Eastern European :-) ).

Essentially, it's a list of prefixes and suffixes you attach to your
variable names to denote variable types, scope, use, etc. It's more used in
C++ programs, because it's more suited to that language - the type prefixes
are mostly concerned with C++ types.

Scott

Phil Fresle

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00
There are some coding conventions you can download free from my web site
http://www.frez.co.uk

"Mike Loll" <ml...@pointetech.com> wrote in message

RobSmith

Sep 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/30/00
"Mike Loll" <ml...@pointetech.com> wrote...

> I'm looking for any pointers towards programming standards in
general, and
> more specifically VB standards. I'm talking about things like
programming
> style, variable declaration, etc.

Try the white papers from the MandelbrotSet (free registration
required)
http://www.themandelbrotset.com/General/whitepapers.asp

--
RobSmith

Jeff Duska

Sep 30, 2000, 9:14:14 PM9/30/00
Just go and buy Practical Standards for Microsoft® Visual Basic®,
htttp://mspress.microsoft.com/prod/books/3401.htm.

Personally, I think this should on the VB7 CD next release.

Regards,

Jeff