Error opening Visual Basic

Jason Madison

Oct 15, 2006, 8:21:30 AM10/15/06
I am getting an error every time I open Visual Basic. The initial splash
screen opens, then I get "Visual Basic has encountered a problem and needs
to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

This is how it happened.

I opened VB.
I created a new EXE application.
I renamed the default project and form.
I added a data report to the project.
For some reason the menu for adding items to a project remained open and
nothing I could do would close it.
I closed Visual Basic.
Now every time I open VB I get this error.
I have tried restarting my PC but the error still happens.

Sneha Menon

Oct 15, 2006, 9:37:01 AM10/15/06
Hi Jason

Did you recently instal Windows XP ServicePack 2 or 3?

Let me know

Sneha

expvb

Oct 15, 2006, 11:37:19 AM10/15/06
"Jason Madison" <jason....@btinternet.com> wrote in message

These sorts of problems usually happen because either the toolbar/menu
settings became corrupted, or a misbehaving Add-in. In your case, it looks
like the toolbar/menu, so go to View-->Toolbars-->Customize, then click the
Reset button, and restart VB6. If it was caused by an Add-in, then disable
all of them, then re-enable them one by one until the problem appears.

Jason Madison

Oct 15, 2006, 4:38:01 PM10/15/06
No, I've got SP2 running but that was installed a while ago

"Sneha Menon" <spider...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Jason Madison

Oct 15, 2006, 4:40:35 PM10/15/06
Thanks for your reply but I don't understand what you are telling me. I
can't get to the view menu because every time I try to start VB I get the
error I described.

"expvb" <nob...@cox.net> wrote in message

Ralph

Oct 15, 2006, 5:00:31 PM10/15/06

"Jason Madison" <jason....@btinternet.com> wrote in message

It looks like you will need to reinstall VB.

After you uninstall VB. Run a good Registry cleaner and manually remove all
traces of the VB folders. (I wouldn't worry too much about anything already
in the Special Folders.)

Reboot and make sure you are installing to a clean environment. (Turn off
any Anti-Virus etc.). Instead of a typical install do a custom install
(select all items) and pay particular attention to any requests to
over-write existing components - make sure you keep the newer ones, but make
a list of what he considers 'different'. These might be 'trouble spots'.

hth
-ralph

expvb

Oct 15, 2006, 5:58:58 PM10/15/06

> Thanks for your reply but I don't understand what you are telling me. I
> can't get to the view menu because every time I try to start VB I get the
> error I described.

From my installation, VB6 settings are stored at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0

Instead of trying to delete these, logon as a different user and start VB6,
if it works ok, then the problem is caused by corrupted registry settings.
If it still crashes, then the problem is caused by one of the Add-ins.

To disable Add-ins manually, make backups, then open the following file:

C:\WINDOWS\vbaddin.ini

Set all values to 0. Also, go to the following key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0\Addins

And set all LoadBehavior for all Add-ins to 0.

Jason Madison

Nov 26, 2006, 7:21:28 AM11/26/06

- yes I have got XP SP 2 installed
- I don't understand how to get to the View menu if I can't open Visual
Basic.

John

J French

Nov 26, 2006, 9:23:51 AM11/26/06
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:21:28 -0000, "Jason Madison"
<jason....@btinternet.com> wrote:

>- yes I have got XP SP 2 installed
>- I don't understand how to get to the View menu if I can't open Visual
>Basic.

Try a re-install

Also my guess is you have a problem with access rights.

Robert Jones

Nov 26, 2006, 3:40:40 PM11/26/06
That is of course the ultimate plan B, but I was trying to avoid it. I don't
think it is access rights as (a) the problem happened following a crash
running as one user, and (b) the user it crashed as is the "admin" user who
has the most rights.

There is something saved against one user that is causing the crash.

"J French" <ere...@nowhere.uk> wrote in message