Finally VS6 & SP6 on Win 7 Pro

Aoli

Mar 5, 2022, 1:23:45 PM3/5/22
Do not have any beyond Win 7 Pro and never want one.

This may work on later Win OS but have not tried.

This finally allowed me to install VB6 Enterprise (from CD) and SP6
(downladed) on my "New" Win 7 Pro. Other Win 7 Pro had absolutely no
issues at all other than to put in fake MSJave.dll. I Do not understand
but now happy and working. Something about a later rev of Win 7 Pro
probably.

Do the following:
Put fake MSJava.dll file (zero length is OK) in C:\Windows

SETUP.EXE (on CD) Properties - Compatibility
SETUP.EXE
Run this program ...
Check - Win XP SP3 ...
Check - Disable Visual Themes
Check - Disable desktop composition
Check - Disable display scaling ...
And also for All Users

Double Click SETUP.EXE

Custom Setup
check all wanted
EXCEPT
uncheck Tools / Object Browser

Complete installation. Ignore 'Ignore' any problems.

Result - Unsuccessful. No Worries.

Double Click SETUP.EXE

Custom Setup
UNCHECK ALL boxes.
ignore warnings.

Complete installation. Ignore 'Ignore' any problems.

Result - SUCCESSFUL.

Install SP6 - from disk. I have a files with a Setupsp6.exe but a .msi
should also work.

SETUPSP6.EXE Properties - Compatibility
SETUPSP6.EXE
Run this program ...
Check - Win XP SP3 ...
Check - Disable Visual Themes
Check - Disable desktop composition
Check - Disable display scaling ...
And also for All Users
NOTE: .MSI has only to Check "Previous Version of Windows".

Double-Click SETUPSP6
'Ignore' if any.
Success.

VB60SP6-KB2708437-X86-ENU.msi Properties
Check "Previous Version of Windows".

I then ran the VB60SP6-KB2708437-X86-ENU.msi as is cumulative update.
Result - Success

How about Common Controls Update ?
Already in SP6 or not ?

John K.Eason

Mar 5, 2022, 2:13:14 PM3/5/22
In article <t009r6$uho$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Ao...@Aoli.com (Aoli) wrote:

> VB60SP6-KB2708437-X86-ENU.msi Properties
> Check "Previous Version of Windows".
>
> I then ran the VB60SP6-KB2708437-X86-ENU.msi as is cumulative
> update.
> Result - Success
>
> How about Common Controls Update ?
> Already in SP6 or not ?

There was a later SP6 update than that one released in January 2016:
VB60SP6-KB3096896-x86-ENU.msi which has security updates for the Common Controls.
Still available from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50722 and described here:
https://tinyurl.com/2p9fudm3

--
Regards
John (jo...@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk) Remove the obvious to reply...

Aoli

Mar 6, 2022, 1:26:53 PM3/6/22
Thank you.
Solved my next problem.
All seems good now.
Just need to install all my addins.

ObiWan

Mar 7, 2022, 10:07:01 AM3/7/22
:: On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 10:27:06 -0800
:: (microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion)
:: <t02ud9$11m8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>
:: Aoli <Ao...@Aoli.com> wrote:

> Thank you.
> Solved my next problem.
> All seems good now.
> Just need to install all my addins.

What I can't really understand is why someone would want to install
VS6, with all those OBSOLETE and "unsecure" stuff, including DLLs and
other stuff on an UNSUPPORTED OS; I'm not saying one can't do it, I'm
just saying that it would be easier and more practical to create a VM
running (say) WinXP and install the whole environment and whatsnot on
it; with such an approach, whenever one needs the VS6 environment, it
will be just a matter of firing up the VM and running VS6 with all the
needed stuff in place

Mayayana

Mar 7, 2022, 12:24:04 PM3/7/22
"ObiWan" <obi...@mvps.org> wrote

What I can't really understand is why someone would want to install
VS6, with all those OBSOLETE and "unsecure" stuff, including DLLs and
other stuff on an UNSUPPORTED OS; I'm not saying one can't do it, I'm
just saying that it would be easier and more practical to create a VM
running (say) WinXP and install the whole environment and whatsnot on
it; with such an approach, whenever one needs the VS6 environment, it
will be just a matter of firing up the VM and running VS6 with all the
needed stuff in place

I haven't yet needed to move VS6 from XP, but if
I do I'll certainly try to do it on Win7 or 10. To my
mind a VM is an absurd waste of computing power.
And it's extra trouble. So why not do it directly if
that works? The only possibe reason I could imagine
for a VM is something like an architect who paid
$5K for AutoCAD and it only runs on XP. Then I would
probably set up a dedicated machine for only that
software.

Wherever the software is written, it needs to be
tested on later versions. As far as I know, all of my
stuff works on Win10, written on XP. If it didn't, and
I needed it to, I'd look into what the problem was and
fix it wherver I'm running VB. But in general, MS have
been very, very good with backward compatibility.
I find that as long as I don't get into exotic 3rd-party
stuff, what I write will run without support files on
virtually every Windows computer.

Aoli

Mar 7, 2022, 12:55:37 PM3/7/22

What installer do you use ?
When I compile on Win 7 Pro it has problems running on Win XP Pro.
I use InnoSetup to create an installer. I have a VB6 addin that preps
the Inno script file .iss then calls Inno to do the installer creation.
Usually go to the Win XP Pro to create the installer. Am I doing
something wrong ?

I use Win 7 Pro for development because my Win 7 Pro laptop is a used
refurbished Lenovo Business laptop with fast SSD and high res screen.
Bluetooth mouse to keep all USB ports free. I hate waiting for my very
large 120K code lines apps to load in the IDE. Unfortunately my
current, soon to go away, Toshiba Win 7 Pro with an SSD is dog slow.
Probably some h/w problem. My "new" old Lenovo I bought for $150 (add a
256G SD in a media slot holder) for lightening fast extra space) is far
superior to the Toshiba in all respects. It even has a keyboard light
for when I work in a restaurant etc. Bragging over. Just feeling a
little better today.

Mayayana

Mar 7, 2022, 5:22:26 PM3/7/22
"Aoli" <Ao...@Aoli.com> wrote

| What installer do you use ?
| When I compile on Win 7 Pro it has problems running on Win XP Pro.
| I use InnoSetup to create an installer. I have a VB6 addin that preps
| the Inno script file .iss then calls Inno to do the installer creation.
| Usually go to the Win XP Pro to create the installer. Am I doing
| something wrong ?

I use my own re-written version of the Setup1 EXE.
I don't have any special issues and avoid needing to
register ActiveX, fonts, stc. I'm just installing the software,
plus a few added extras, like quick launch icon, setting
permissions, etc. With the restrictions mess on Vista+
I started an approach where I sometimes create a settings
and temp folder in my program folder. I set those folders
with no file restrictions. Then I keep the program settings file
there and do temp operations there. So it's a bit like a
portable version.

The installer then just needs to unpack the CAB, move
the files, adjust permissions, etc.

Are you saying the software has trouble on XP or the installer?
If the former, I would think the problem may be dependency
versions, but you didn't specify what problem you have.

If it's the latter then
maybe it's that Inno has dropped support for XP? I don't
know. To my mind, life's too short to learn crap like Inno.
An installer doesn't need to be so complicated. Or at
any rate, my installers don't, because I'm generally only
installing my own software. I don't need to do funky things
like installing SAPI, DirectX, ActiveX controls, etc