Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)

Joseph Geretz

Nov 19, 2004, 11:56:32 AM11/19/04
Hi,

We have our application running on probably a thousand workstations with no
problems. So it's pretty obvious that the problem is environmental. As soon
as the application is launched, the following error message appears:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022). Click on OK to
terminate the application.
I guess the problem and the environment are sufficiently complex that you
probably won't be able to offer me a direct solution to my problem. But if
you can give me any pointers on how to debug this that would be very
helpful.

Thanks!

- Joe Geretz -

Joseph Geretz

Nov 19, 2004, 12:21:23 PM11/19/04
Here's some additional information.

When loggin in as Administrator (domain admin) the application runs fine.
The problem only occurs when logged in as a non-priviledged user. I guess
that some DLL is inaccessible to non-priviledged users on that particular
workstation. But how to diagnose?

Thanks!

- Joe Geretz -

"Joseph Geretz" <jge...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Ralph

Nov 19, 2004, 12:24:09 PM11/19/04

"Joseph Geretz" <jge...@nospam.com> wrote in message

I am assuming it is one box that the app is failing on and runs on the
others...

Test and see if you can run the app as an administrator. The most common
cause for this error is lack of executable rights for a 'common system'
file; vb6 runtime, vcrt runtime, controls, etc. The 'lost' of rights on one
machine can often be caused by other installations installing these 'system'
files with different permissions. (One of the reasons runtimes and controls
should always be treated as a separate install and not wrapped up in an
application deployment package.)

If it isn't a permissions problem, then look for a corrupted runtime file
and/or dependancy. However, if this is the case then I would expect a lot of
apps would fail.

hth
-ralph

Ralph

Nov 19, 2004, 12:33:55 PM11/19/04

> Here's some additional information.
>
> When loggin in as Administrator (domain admin) the application runs fine.
> The problem only occurs when logged in as a non-priviledged user. I guess
> that some DLL is inaccessible to non-priviledged users on that particular
> workstation. But how to diagnose?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Joe Geretz -

This amplification came after my other reply.

You can be almost 99% sure it is a permission problem on a runtime or
control.
Give everyone read permissions on the files in the System32 folder. Unless
you have other security reason to protect some of the the components. In
that case you have to specifically set read permissions for each file.
(msvbvm~, msvc~, ...)

You may want to just do a complete dependancy test on all the components in
your application and use the list to find and check for the offending
component.

htht
ralph

Ralph

Nov 19, 2004, 12:41:48 PM11/19/04

One more 'gotcha'... Check for any hard-coded logical drives (C:, D:, ...)
that the 'user' might not have mapped, either in your app or in the
registration for any of its components.

-ralph

Joseph Geretz

Nov 19, 2004, 1:16:58 PM11/19/04
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your help. A lot of good pointers which I have passed along to
our tech support folks. Can you elaborate on this last item, regarding the
drive mappings? I did notice something very strange, when opening up 'My
Computer' it is blank - no drives or folders are listed. I was able to
access the C:\ drive from Start | Run and then typing in 'C:\' to open up an
explorer window to C:\. But there is definitely something funky going on
here, to open up 'My Computer' and not see any drives present. Do you think
this has anything to do with the problem? And what would be the cause of
such a (mis)configuration?

Thanks!

- Joe Geretz -

"Ralph" <msnews.20.nt...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

Ralph

Nov 19, 2004, 1:43:13 PM11/19/04

"Joseph Geretz" <jge...@nospam.com> wrote in message

The mapping 'problem' is simply another way that an application might not
have 'execute/read' permission on a component/control/etc - if he doesn't
know the mapping he can't see it and thus can't run it. This is usually only
a problem when using terminal services or sharing a componet/control across
a network.

As for 'My Computer', that definitely sounds wrong, and I would give it a
hard, close look. However, I am the wrong one to ask, or advise, about
'admin' stuff. I know just enough to thoroughly screw things up. Mostly from
my "shoot from the hip" or "type before I think" attitude. A very very bad
trait for an administrator. (I once created/remove permissions on a folder
such that NO one could access it. They ended up re-formatting the hd. <g>)

Hopefully someone else will come in here with more specific information, or
you might try one of the 'admin' or 'winXXX' newsgroups. I vaguely remember
reading something about that being an known installation problem with an XP
Home edition upgrade. That issue may relate to your situation.

hth
-ralph